Author Topic: John McSweeney - Donegal Ireland  (Read 3394 times)

Offline annette ellen

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John McSweeney - Donegal Ireland
« on: Tuesday 12 July 11 03:19 BST (UK) »
I have just got a Marriage Cert for a John McSweeny and Bridget Cuneen

John was born in 1865 Donegal Ireland. his age on M?C is 30y.
His father was John McSweeny a farmer and mother Agnes Boyce.
I have not been able to find out when he may have come out to Australia and if  he was with his parents and any siblings.

If any one can help me with any info it would be much appreciated.

Many thanks
annette ellen. :)
Dundee, Montrose, Perthshire, Errol,- Ireland , Birmingham, Huddersfield, England, Rotterdam, Holland.
Kettles, Kettle, Young, Archibald, Smith, Greive, Philp, Gibson, Mason, Bent, White, Cunneen, Cahill, Pratt, Frost, Bridges, Mothersole, Money, Roche/Roach, Lenehan/ Linehan/ Linahan, Leonard, Sayles, Waren/Warren, Johnson, Berigan/Bergin/Berrigan/Birgin, Janssen.
Steel, McNab, Christie, Kelly, Fraser.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: John McSweeney - Donegal Ireland
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 12 July 11 07:54 BST (UK) »
Could you give us more information, please? Where did this marriage take place and what was the date (c1895?)?

The first complete Irish census is 1901- both 1901 and 1911 census are online and you can search for John's parents there (although they could already have died, left Ireland or be unidentifiable with the details you have)/
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/search/

Registration of births started in 1864. The civil registration index is online and I can't see a possible birth for John but you can take a look yourself-
https://www.familysearch.org/

Have a look at Introduction to Irish Records and My Ancestor came from Ireland - where do I start?.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline annette ellen

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: John McSweeney - Donegal Ireland
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 14 July 11 05:55 BST (UK) »
Hi aghadowey,

Thanks for the reply. John and Bridget married inN STH Melbourne Victoria Australia.
I will have a look at the links you have sent.
Many thanks again,

annette ellen :)
Dundee, Montrose, Perthshire, Errol,- Ireland , Birmingham, Huddersfield, England, Rotterdam, Holland.
Kettles, Kettle, Young, Archibald, Smith, Greive, Philp, Gibson, Mason, Bent, White, Cunneen, Cahill, Pratt, Frost, Bridges, Mothersole, Money, Roche/Roach, Lenehan/ Linehan/ Linahan, Leonard, Sayles, Waren/Warren, Johnson, Berigan/Bergin/Berrigan/Birgin, Janssen.
Steel, McNab, Christie, Kelly, Fraser.