Author Topic: Eglinton Street, Shankill - COMPLETED  (Read 6104 times)

Offline julianb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Portrait of the genealogist as a young man
    • View Profile
Eglinton Street, Shankill - COMPLETED
« on: Tuesday 12 July 11 07:11 BST (UK) »
I wonder if someone from Belfast or who knows it well can help me.

My grandparents were boarding at 66 Eglinton Street, Shankill, North Belfast at the time of the 1911 census.  (He worked for HMV - at the time of their marriage 3 years earlier, in Croydon, Surrey, he had been described as a gramophone fitter.)

We are visiting Belfast in August and I was considering going to look for the house.

But I can't find the road on google maps  ::)  I did, on google, find reference to an Eglinton Street Church which had moved to the outskirts of Belfast from the Carlisle Circus area.

Did Eglinton Street disappear under the A12 road or has google maps just failed me?

Grateful for advice.  Thanks in anticipation

JULIAN
ESSEX  Carter, Enever, Jeffrey, Mason, Middleditch, Pond, Poole, Rose, Sorrell, Staines, Stephens, Surry, Theobald HUNTS  Danns KENT  Luetchford, Wood NOTTINGHAMSHIRE  Baker, Dunks, Kemp, Price, Priestley, Swain, Woodward SUFFOLK  Rose SURREY  Bedel, Bransden, Bysh, Coleman, Gibbs, Quinton SUSSEX Gibbs, Langridge, Pilbeam, Spencer WILTSHIRE  Brice, Rumble

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Eglinton Street, Shankill
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 12 July 11 07:40 BST (UK) »
Found a reference using Google, which states:

Eglinton Street runs from Crumlin Road to Old Lodge Road, which would appear to be where the Crumlin Road Health Centre is now.

Happy to be proved wrong by a local!  ;D
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 12 July 11 07:58 BST (UK) »
Are you sure of the street number? There is the number on the census form (which is what you see on the transcript) but the actual street number, if any, shows on 'additional pages' in 1911.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline julianb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 12 July 11 08:25 BST (UK) »
Are you sure of the street number? There is the number on the census form (which is what you see on the transcript) but the actual street number, if any, shows on 'additional pages' in 1911.

The street number is from the "Family Return - form A" summary completed by the enumerator with details of ward, street and number, householders' name etc

JULIAN
ESSEX  Carter, Enever, Jeffrey, Mason, Middleditch, Pond, Poole, Rose, Sorrell, Staines, Stephens, Surry, Theobald HUNTS  Danns KENT  Luetchford, Wood NOTTINGHAMSHIRE  Baker, Dunks, Kemp, Price, Priestley, Swain, Woodward SUFFOLK  Rose SURREY  Bedel, Bransden, Bysh, Coleman, Gibbs, Quinton SUSSEX Gibbs, Langridge, Pilbeam, Spencer WILTSHIRE  Brice, Rumble

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 12 July 11 09:11 BST (UK) »
On the transcription page will be somthing like this-
View census images
Household Return (Form A)
Additional Pages: 2

It is the Additional pages that will show house number (if any).

You can also use some of the online directories to check addresses in Belfast- if you look under an individual street it will list which street if off it, etc. which helps to pinpoint a location.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 12 July 11 09:15 BST (UK) »
Here's an example from Eglinton St., Court Ward, Antrim:
House number 16 Eglinton Street in 1911 census-
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Antrim/Court_Ward/Eglinton_Street/148387

The additional pages shows the actual house number is 29-
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/reels/nai001438702/

Offline julianb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 15 July 11 05:40 BST (UK) »
Thank you for taking an interest and for taking the time to respond.

Eglinton Street runs from Crumlin Road to Old Lodge Road, which would appear to be where the Crumlin Road Health Centre is now.
I think you're right

You can also use some of the online directories to check addresses in Belfast- if you look under an individual street it will list which street if off it, etc. which helps to pinpoint a location.

Thanks - I did do that, using links on the Antrim Resources Board to the Lennon Wylie Directory site.  This confirms that  Eglinton Street ran between Old Lodge Road and the Crumlin Road.  I tried Old Lodge Road on Google Maps and got the Crumlin Road Health Centre.  It looks as though the whole zone that would have included Eglinton Street (ie South of the Crumlin Road, and East of Agnes Street) has been redeveloped.

Interestingly the 1918 street directory showed the same householder for number 66 Eglinton Street, as for at the time of the 1911 census.

Here's an example from Eglinton St., Court Ward, Antrim:
House number 16 Eglinton Street in 1911 census-
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Antrim/Court_Ward/Eglinton_Street/148387

The additional pages shows the actual house number is 29-
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/reels/nai001438702/

I hadn't noticed that the transcript gave the wrong house number - it showed 64 rather than 66 - I must be too used to looking at the actual documents rather than just the transcripts.  :)

JULIAN

Offline jimchelsea

• RootsChat Senior
  • Cosby
    • View Profile
Re: Eglinton Street, Shankill - COMPLETED
« Reply #7 on: Friday 15 July 11 13:23 BST (UK) »
Moderator's Comment: copyright image removed in accordance with Rootschat policy
Cosby s from Gilford and Banbridge areas pre 1890