Author Topic: Larbert Insane Asylum  (Read 2250 times)

Offline aggiebagwash

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Larbert Insane Asylum
« on: Tuesday 12 July 11 12:42 BST (UK) »
Does anyone know if any records for the asylum have survived and whether I can access them online?

I'm looking for the records of my great grandmother who died there in 1916.

Margaret  :)

Offline snimmo243

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Larbert Insane Asylum
« Reply #1 on: Monday 19 September 11 20:59 BST (UK) »

Check out this post further down the page, I contacted NHS Forth Valley via their website, the records I got back didn't show much more than the death cert but you may get lucky

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,509866.msg3661936.html#msg3661936
Nisbet - Berwickshire, Haddingtonshire, Midlothian, Linlithgowshire, Stirlingshire
Borthwick, Aitchison, Denholm, Jamieson
Smith - Stirlingshire, Linlithgowshire, County Down

Offline aggiebagwash

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 19 September 11 21:16 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the link I'll check it out now. It's one of my brickwall's but I'm determined to break it down somehow.  ;D

Margaret

Offline mrs acb

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 27 January 13 21:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi My Great grand mum died at Larbert in 1923.Stirling University now have some details on patients who were there although they have just started to catalogue them.Phone Stilring Uni Department of history and politics and ask for Karl MaGhee heis the archvist.I was sent my great grand mums addmission date ,the duration of her stay when she died and her social status.From the admission date there is a wee wee chance I can see her medical records from her stay.There is how ever a 100yr closure on these record but if I can prove that all who knew her have now died then I might be able to see the records held at the NAS in Edinburgh. I also just a month or so ago found her burial place at Larbert cemetary,it was a very happy day when I found her again,shed had a tough time of it.Hope some of this helps.Anne

Offline aggiebagwash

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 28 January 13 12:38 GMT (UK) »

Hi Anne thank you for the information I'll ring them now. Like you I don't hold out much hope but it would be interesting to find out a little more about her.

It's so annoying when the records you want come under a closure order isn't it? I found my husband's grandmother had committed suicide so decided to try and find the inquest records which I know are closed for 75 years and the 75 years are up at the beginning of June but the record office won't consider looking until June.

Thank you once again I really appreciate your advice.

Margaret