Author Topic: Thomas BEENHAM, stoker HMS Fisgard  (Read 2171 times)

Offline Laotzu

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Thomas BEENHAM, stoker HMS Fisgard
« on: Tuesday 12 July 11 20:29 BST (UK) »
Hi

I am trying to track down any details regarding the above.  I have the following information:
b. 13 Aug 1833, Sunninghill, Berks
m. 1855 to Sophia MORRIS, Henley, Oxon

From his navy documents:
Enlisted in the Royal Navy 16 Dec 1857
Stoker HMS Rhadamanthus Dec 1857 - Jan 1861
Stoker HMS Cumberland Jan 1861 - May 1861
Stoker HMS Challenger May 6 1861 - Feb 1865
Stoker HMS Cumberland Feb 1865 - May 1865
Stoker HMS Pembroke May 1866 - Dec 1867
Stoker - signed up for 5 yrs HMS Fisgard, Woolwich, Kent Dec 18 1867

He was listed in the 1861 census aboard the Cumberland at Sheerness, but I cannot trace him in the 1871 census.  I can find no record of his death in FreeBMD, but I know that his wife remarried in 1878, so presumably it was prior to this.  I also gather that the Fisgard was the flagship at Greenwich at the time that he joined it, so presumably he stayed in home port?  My understanding is also that he would have been likely to have been stationed at home on each vessel except for the Challenger, which saw service in the N. America and W. Indies Station whilst he was aboard.

If any one could shed any light on his whereabouts post 1867, point me in the direction of any likely sources, or indeed, provide with any further information regarding his career or demise, that would be most appreciated  :)

Offline crimea1854

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas BEENHAM, stoker HMS Fisgard
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 12 July 11 22:51 BST (UK) »
Hi

There appears to be a service record for him on the NA website, where he signed up on 1 Jan 1868, does this not throw any light on his subsequent career?

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documentsonline/details-result.asp?Edoc_Id=8369741&queryType=1&resultcount=4

Martin

Offline Laotzu

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 12 July 11 23:28 BST (UK) »
Hi Martin

This is actually the document that I referenced in my post; he signed up in December before xmas, but his term of service didn't start until Jan 1st.  Unfortunately I can find no further information subsequent to this.  Thanks for your interest anyway, and for finding the time to help  :)

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 13 July 11 10:21 BST (UK) »
Is Sophia living in Plumstead (Greenwich) in the 1871 census, with children Charlotte (13) and William J (11 months)? Ancestry have indexed the surname incorrectly, and have the daughter as being 43. If so it helps to narrow down the search for the father's death.

Sophia's birthplace is listed as Waygrove, Berkshire. There is a Wargrove, Berks about three miles from Henley. FreeBMD has Charlotte's birth under Henley in Dec (qtr) 1857.

Ken

Offline Laotzu

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 13 July 11 13:13 BST (UK) »
Hi Ken

Yes, that's the family; you are also right to point out that Thomas had an 11 month old son in 1870, so that would narrow his death down to between 1869 and 1878.

Sophia is recorded in the 1851 and 1861 censuses as being born in Knowl Hill, Berks, which is not far from Wargrave, so you are right in your correction of the mis-transcription.

I do have good records for this family both pre- and post Thomas (although I might post a query regarding Sophia's mother elsewhere if I continue to reach a dead end with her!).  However Thomas does seem to draw a blank after signing up for the navy again in 1867/68.

Thanks Ken for showing an interest in my quest  :)

Offline seaweed

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'll see you one day in Fiddlers Green.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 13 July 11 18:29 BST (UK) »
It would seem he signed up twice and the records posted by Crimea1854 which is 9 pages long, would/could be different to the one you have.
http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documentsonline/search-results.asp?searchtype=browserefine&query=last_name%3dbeenham&catid=15&pagenumber=1&querytype=1&mediaarray=*
 HMS FISGARD Was an Enginering training ship and nominal Depot ship at Woolwich 1848 to 1872.
If nothing can be gleaned from Crimea's 1854 link. I suggest a trip to Kew to look at pieces ADM 115/388 to 392 (Ships record and establishment book) and ADM38/6208 to ADM38/6216 ( Musters Jan 1867 to Dec 1872) may give you the information you seek.
Dim ateb yn well nag ateb anghywir. Nid oes dim yn ddall fel rhai nad ydynt yn dymuno gweld

RIP Roger 10 August 2022

Offline Laotzu

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 13 July 11 21:00 BST (UK) »
Hi seaweed

Thanks for your post; yes, a trip down to Kew may be the only way to solve this one (thanks for the sources), but unfortunately beyond my means at present :(.

The document that I have is the one that crimea1854 pointed out, dated 18 Dec 1867 for commencement of service 1st Jan, and contains his service record up to that date.  The other document on TNA appears to be his original sign up papers from 1857, which I have yet to obtain as I did not believe they would contain much additional information (though I would be happy to be proved wrong when I do obtain them, I guess there could be some personal details).

Thanks again for your help  :)