Author Topic: Photo dating and uniform identity please  (Read 1277 times)

Offline mike13959

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Photo dating and uniform identity please
« on: Wednesday 13 July 11 17:17 BST (UK) »
Could anybody try to date this photo, and if possible identfy any of the uniforms, also what this photo could
possibly represent.

Regards, Mike
O'Neill-Dublin,Waterford
Walsh-Waterford.

Offline yn9man

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Photo dating and uniform identity please
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 13 July 11 19:48 BST (UK) »
Mike -

Is it possible for you to post a picture of one of the hats? Appears to be a distinctive crest or shield?

Thanks

yn9man
Scotland - Adam, Galt/Gault, Mellis, Jardine, Turnbull, Robertson, Auchincloss, Murray, Allison/Allason, Mitchell, Cross, Rae, Brown, McHutcheon, Montgomerie, McKenzie, Mackay, McPherson, McInish

England - Saunders/Sanders, Jory/Jorie/Jura, McKey, Williams/ Wyllams,  Lance, Ellis, Trounson, Dingle, Charlton, Hambridge, Sweetman/Sweatman, Ricks/Rix/Reeks, Cole, Shearwood/Sherwood, Toy, Brooks, Moore, Donn, Nicolas, Habberfield,

Denmark - Alling/Aalling, Lastein, Lund, Rasmussen

Offline mike13959

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 13 July 11 22:32 BST (UK) »

Thanks yn9man.

Sorry but when I try to capture and preview any of the hats for identification, the image is completely obscure.

Is there anyway of identifying the uniforms of the officers standing at both ends of the group, and/or an approx date.

Regards, Mike
O'Neill-Dublin,Waterford
Walsh-Waterford.

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 13 July 11 22:52 BST (UK) »
Hi Mike

There aren't any officers in the group. They are all privates or equivalent. Though there may be one Lance Corporal. I cannot even see Sgt Peach.

They started to have collar badges again from the early 1920s. So it is from then until mid-1930s. The lack of any WW1 medals suggests they were too young to be involved in WW1. So most likely late 1920s/mid 1930s.

Ken

Offline mike13959

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 14 July 11 00:01 BST (UK) »

Hi Ken

That's much appreciated.

Pardon my ignorance, would that mean the guys immaculately dressed and standing either end
of the group, would of been of the same rank.

Also, if possible what this photo represents?

Again, many thanks

Mike

O'Neill-Dublin,Waterford
Walsh-Waterford.

Offline macintosh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 14 July 11 09:03 BST (UK) »
Mike,
My thoughts for what they are worth, The two well dressed soldiers at each end are regulars and the rest of the motley crew are probably TA or new recruits still in training, usually a trained soldier was attached to a new intake of recruits to ensure the barrack rooms were  up to standard and to impart his knowledge to recruits in all manner of mundane things such as boot polishing, pressing uniforms, cleaning  etc, etc,
The equipment in front consists of a bass broom and two floor bumpers (heavy cast iron heads on a handle with a brush underneath) for floor polishing and buckets and containers, the state of the "denim" fatigues look to be really dirty so they may have been on coal fatigues, delivering coal to barrack blocks or boiler rooms, there is also some puttees drying on the window cill.

The cap badge will be the clincher, although it is blurred it looks like an animal to me and the only one that I could think of that looks "chunky" enough would be the Leicestershire Regiment Tiger, thats the man sitting middle row right as we look at the pic, but that is only supposition without a clear identifiable pic.
I agree with Ken's time frame.

James

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 14 July 11 09:55 BST (UK) »
Hi Mike

There is nothing more you can glean from the picture other than getting a better look at the cap badge.

Ken