Author Topic: Granddad's christening  (Read 2551 times)

Offline Alan Ryan

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Granddad's christening
« on: Wednesday 13 July 11 22:36 BST (UK) »
William Ryan b.1/4/1893 @ Ripon St, Bradford. I presume would have been christened at St Mary's R.C. church on East Parade. Does anyone by chance have access to the church register or any other scource to the details of his christening. I've been searching for information on his father (my gt granddad Patrick) for over 10 years without success and wondered if there was any other names ie. God parents that I could trace and link up with the family further back. ??? Thanks, Alan
RYAN-Atkinson-Mallison-elsworth-Widdowson-Davis-Threapleton-Bolderson-Sagar.. IRELAND-Bradford-Bingley-Fewston-Barnsley-Ecclesfield-Doncaster-Wakefield-Kendal

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Granddad's christening
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 13 July 11 23:11 BST (UK) »
What was his mothers name and maiden name from the 1893 birth cert?

What was his fathers occupation on the cert
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Alan Ryan

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 14 July 11 16:35 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the reply. Patrick Ryan c.1847 was a Tailor (Journeyman) and married Mary Davis c.1869 in 1891. Alan. ;)
RYAN-Atkinson-Mallison-elsworth-Widdowson-Davis-Threapleton-Bolderson-Sagar.. IRELAND-Bradford-Bingley-Fewston-Barnsley-Ecclesfield-Doncaster-Wakefield-Kendal

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 14 July 11 22:23 BST (UK) »
1891 census for 20 King Charles St Bradford

Patrick Ryan 49 widower - tailor - b Ireland
Maggie 15 dtr b Manchester
Alice 14 dtr b Manchester
RG12 Piece 3625 Folio 163 Page 25

Do you have a copy of the 1891 marriage cert to confirm whether Patrick was a widower?  Given the age difference - it's highly likely
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Alan Ryan

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 14 July 11 23:17 BST (UK) »
Good Evening CaroleW, Patrick was a Widower and is down as living at 28 King Charles St previous to the marriage and aged 44. I've come across this family previously but was unable to find out any further information on them. I did establish that there was 3 or 4 other Patrick Ryan's living in close proximity though and managed to discount the others eventually. Maybe I could have another look at this one to see if I can find anything I didn't before.      Referring back to my original question, I visited the Bradford archive library a few years ago and was shown some very poor quality negatives of St Mary's parish register but they were unreadable and in Latin. I was hoping somebody might have had access to some legible records with hopefully some new names to work on. Alan :-\

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 14 July 11 23:27 BST (UK) »
As both his daughters were born in England - have you traced him on the 1881 census to find the name of his first wife and where she was born/older children etc

If his first wife was English - they probably married in England.  If you trace the marriage - you will at least get his fathers name

Is he the Patrick Ryan who died in 1896 in Bradford aged 60?

Offline Alan Ryan

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 15 July 11 00:39 BST (UK) »
Just had another quick look in the 1881, still no sign of the family. Granddad was abandoned as a baby and his mother re-married in Kendal in 1895 and Patrick completely disappeared. There was a Patrick Ryan who died in 1915 at 79  Captain St, Bradford (Mary Davis lived in Captain St prior to her marriage) but after tracing him through the witness to the death via Tullamore, Ireland and a marriage in Bradford he was the wrong one, his father was called Thomas and my gt gt granddad was called William, same as my granddad. Previously I've looked in the census's, BDM's, Kew, Bradford & Dublin libraries, I've got nothing else except theories.

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 15 July 11 01:04 BST (UK) »
Patrick and Mary married December qtr 1891

William was born 1.4.1893

The Mary who married in Kendal in 1895 was Mary Davis not Mary Ryan so was she a bigamist?

If Patrick was dead - she would have re-married as Ryan

If he was in desertion - she would have had to wait 7yrs to have him declared dead

Do you have a copy of the 1895 marriage cert showing her marital status

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 15 July 11 01:33 BST (UK) »
If Mary married William Borwick in 1895 then this is presumably her in 1901 in Kendal - all born Kendal

John Davis 68 tailor
Hannah Davis 60
Mary Borwick 32 daughter widow
RG13 Piece 4912 Folio 76 Page 8