Author Topic: hambridge family on there canal boat.  (Read 41285 times)

Offline panished

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: hambridge family on there canal boat.
« Reply #162 on: Monday 06 May 19 07:47 BST (UK) »
 Hi Kirsty

A few more photos and storys, there is more to find, i just found these storys of interest, they are all mixed up in date, i hope you are well and it as been of great help to me to learn of the times of the Canal People, I will not be writing back now so no need to say no more, i know people in their research are offten only looking for certain people in a direct way, i find if you go sideways or back, or evan way out, like just researching a different name, well all of a sudden what you were first searching for comes up, good luck for the future and look after yourself

Thursday 27 February 1851
 Banbury Guardian
  Oxfordshire 

CANAL COAL BOATS.—Apply to Mr. John Hambridge, Cassington Wharf, Ensham, near Oxford

Thursday 13 August 1908
  Banbury Advertiser
  Oxfordshire

The following canal boats registered  “Emma” for Mr. Thomas Hambridge. Banbury;  “Ocean.” for Mr. Henry Hambridge. Banbury . and “William ,” for Mr. William Hambridge, Nuneaton. Alderman Cooper seconded, and humorously commented upon the naming of canal boat as  “Queen of the Ocean. I suppose it refers to the time when we shall have a Ship Canal in Banbury. Chard said be remembered a boat being named “Mind your  business”. (Laughter). The report was adopted.

Wednesday 10 September 1913
 Oxfordshire Weekly News
  Oxfordshire 

THRUPP.  landlord of the Three Horse Shoes, who celebrated his golden wedding last week-end, recalls many incidents of olden times, and hopes in the near future to reproduce them in a book form. At the time of our wedding, said Mr. Hambridge my wages were 13s, weekly, and I was employed as captain on one of my uncle's canal boats, when the carrying trade was much more brisk than it is to-day. I was Married on the Sunday, the following day i return to work (honeymoons were not so popular in our day), my wife returning to the paper mill, where she was employed as a fibre sorter at 8d. per day, while I continued my coal unloading. 

Wednesday 03 August 1881
  Oxfordshire Weekly News
  Oxfordshire 

temporary transfer of licence of the Three Horse Shoes, Thrupp Inn, from William Hambridge to Thomas Wade, was granted till the next transfer day

Wednesday 23 July 1890
  Oxfordshire Weekly News
  Oxfordshire 

A temporary transfer of license of the Three Horse Shoes Inn, Thrupp,  Thomas Ellard (deceased) to Elizabeth Ellard was granted

Wednesday 20 April 1904
 Oxfordshire Weekly News
  Oxfordshire

Temporary transfers of the licences of the Three Horse Shoes Inn, Thrupp from William Woodley to Frederick Harper, were also granted

Wednesday 13 August 1884
  Oxfordshire Weekly News
  Oxfordshire 

AN application was made by Thomas Ellard, of Thump, for a transfer of the license of the Three Horse Shoes public-house in that village, from William Hambridge to himself. The applicant, however, failed to produce any evidence 

Wednesday 01 September 1880
 Oxfordshire Weekly News
  Oxfordshire 

UNJUST WEIGHTS AND MEASURES.— William Hambridge, landlord of the Three Horse Shoes Thrupp was summoned by Inspector Hawtin, for having in his possession. one quart cup and one quart jug, both  being ...

Wednesday 27 August 1884
  Oxfordshire Weekly News
 Oxfordshire

A renewed application for a transfer of the license of The Three Horse Shoes public-house, Thrupp, from William Hambridge to Thomas Ellard was granted

Wednesday 24 June 1914
  Oxfordshire Weekly News
  Oxfordshire 

renewal of the licence of the Three Horse Shoes, Thrupp (Owners: Hall'. Oxford Brewery, Ltd. Licensee: William Hambridge). Mr. A. G. Higgs opposed the application. Inspector Soelgrove (Woodstock) said there were three licensed houses in

saturday 07 June 1913
  Uxbridge & W. Drayton Gazette
  London 

ALLEGED BlGAMY.—At,Brentford Police Court, last Friday. Benjamin Hart, 63, a bargeman, of London Road, Brentford, was charged with feloniously intermarrying with Mary Hambridge at the Parish Church, Uxbridge. on June 14th, 1896, his first wife. Eliza Hart, being then and now alive.—Mary Hambridge said she lived at Brentford She went through the form of marriage with the prisoner at the Pariah Church of Uxbridge on June 14th, 1896: prisoner then described himself as a widower. She had lived with the prisoner since. Prisoner did not tell her he was married.--Prisoner: She said

Saturday 14 June 1913
  Uxbridge & W. Drayton Gazette
  London 

ALLEGED BIGAMY.—At Brentford, on Saturday. Benjamin Hart, 63, of London Road, Brentford was charged on remand with feloniously. intermarrying with Mary Hambridge, at the Parish Church. Uxbridge, in 1896. his wife being then and now alive.—Mary Hart, of Brentford, stepmother to accused. said she was present when prisoner was married in 1875 at Turnharn Green Church to a woman named Pearce. She signed the register. Prisoner was then a bachelor. She saw Mrs. Hart last November, at a funeral.— Detective-Sergt said on May 29th he saw prisoner and Hambridge. He told prisoner he would be arrested for bigamy with Hambridge. Prisoner said he did not know his wife was…………..

Offline panished

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: Monday 06 May 19 07:47 BST (UK) »
 Thursday 13 September 1951
 Coventry Evening Telegraph
 Warwickshire 

A WIDE RANGE
 It appears that many modellers cannot get away from their work, for a model of a narrow boat, used on the canals, was made by Mr. J. Hambridge when he was not fully occupied with his  Canal barge. True to life and tradition, it bears the colourful decorations of the real thing. The exhibition contains a wide range of exhibits, and besides the usual, but none the less splendid models of locomotives and steam engines……… 

Wednesday 06 July 1938
  Coventry Evening Telegraph
  Warwickshire 

The Canal Barge Horse, and the Old Boot, the Story told is a canal barge horse can be seen jogging peacefully along the tow-paths of the Warwickshire and Oxford canals. chewing peacefully at a measure of oats—with an old boot trailing behind him

Saturday 04 June 1938
  West Middlesex Gazette
  London 

BARGE HORSE SHOT IN CANAL Slipped In : Rescue Efforts Fail A canal barge horse shied at passing traffic at The Common, Southall. near Old Oak Bridge, yesterday morning

Saturday 04 January 1936
  Tamworth Herald
  Staffordshire 

BARGE HORSE'S FALL INTO CANAL.  Animal Dead When Hauled Out. On Monday afternoon a horse drawing a barge, and belonging to lessrs. Dumolow's, of Birmingham, when negotiating the canal bridge on the Watling ...

Friday 23 February 1900
  Lincolnshire Chronicle
  Lincolnshire 

The French are trying motor barges on canals. The motors are about 12-horse-power, and they drive twin propellers, and the speed is greater than with horses on the towpath

Monday 21 March 1927
  The Scotsman
  Midlothian 

CANAL BARGE FIRE TWO . CHILDREN SUFFOCATED .
Two children—John Mason , aged-five , and Albert Mason , aged 15 months—were suffocated in a fire in the barge Bose , lying in the Brentford Canal late on Saturday night 

Friday 24 June 1938
 Staffordshire Sentinel
  Staffordshire 

Girl's Fatal Fall from Barge Horse SAD STORY AT STOKE INQUEST The sad story of a canal boatman's daughter's fatal fall from a barge horse, was related at an inquest at the North Staffordshire Royal Infirmary to-day

Tuesday 02 November 1915
 Derby Daily Telegraph
  Derbyshire 

SUFFOCATED IN A CANAL BARGE
  Four children whose father was a canal boatman named were last night suffocated in the cabin of a canal boat lying off Brentford dock

Thursday 02 February 1928
  Gloucester Citizen
  Gloucestershire 

BETWEEN BARGE AND CANAL BANK. Mr. B. R. Masser (Deputy Coroner) recorded a verdict of accidental deat in the inquest at Coventry, on Wednesday. Albert Hambridge (10), son of canal  boat owner. It appeared that the boy fell between the barge and the canal bank at  Leighton,Thursday last, and was crushed. on Saturday the boy became worse, he was hurried to Coventry and Warwickshire Hospital but died from  internal injuries

Offline panished

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: Monday 06 May 19 20:12 BST (UK) »
Just one more words

never forget the Dead

I have read that the Oxford Canal was extended In 1788, the canal company bought the local watermill, demolished most of it, and built a row of cottages in its place next to the canal, it was known as salt row. There were two public houses, the Axe which is now the Boat Inn, and the Three Horseshoes which closed in 1924, the Britannia opened on the main Banbury Road. It has since been renamed the Jolly Boatman
Below you will see how the Inn can now be traced to a cotage, all Hambridge People must vissit this place, then on the next link they have several landlords or tenants of this inn but no one knows of the Hambridgers

http://www.closedpubs.co.uk/oxfordshire/thrupp_threehorseshoes.html
 https://pubshistory.com/Oxfordshire/Thrupp/ThreeHorseShoes.shtml

Saturday 18 March 1843
  Oxford Chronicle and Reading Gazette
  Oxfordshire

On Monday last, at the Three Horse Shoes, Thrupp, on view the bodies of John Boyes, aged 7 years, and his brother, Joseph aged 2 years, who were drowned in the Oxford Canal. There was evidence to show how they fell into the Canal, but it was supposed that Joseph Boyes, the youngest, had first fallen, and that his brother John, in endeavouring to get him out, had fallen in also. From the evidence of Emma batts, daughter of the constable of Thrupp, it appeared that about half-past two o'clock on Saturday afternoon she was walking down the Towing-path, and saw Joseph Boyes floating in the Oxford Canal, near the Wicket Gate in Thrupp parish; she immediately told Elizabeth Aries, wife John Aries, blacksmith, and publican, and Mrs. Aries went out of her house and saw the child floating, but did not attempt to get  him out. Her husband was not at home. After seeing the child in the Canal, she went into her house, and told a man who was there that there was a child in the water; he went out and saw it, but did not attempt to get him out. Mrs ……………………..

Offline Sandra H

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #165 on: Sunday 26 May 19 09:28 BST (UK) »
Hi Kirsty

We are volunteers on here who look for info to help others with their family research. It is then up to you to verify the info and decide if the info is correct, bearing in mind that names of ancestors are not always spelled the way we expect them to be. You need to collect a paper trail of such things as BMD certificates, baptism and burial records, and census returns to help you with this. As I pointed out, the image of the parish record of the marriage is on Ancestry so you don't even need to order that certificate. If you don't have an Ancestry subscription, check if your local public library subscribes to Ancestry Library Edition....this would give you access to the images.

PB

Offline kirsty.foreman

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: Saturday 15 June 19 09:12 BST (UK) »
Hi I have shown you the birth registration of an Emma Walker b 1862 Banbury with mothers maiden name Jellyman, and the census returns for Emma in 1871 & 1881 in Banbury, why bring up an Emma with a middle initial "J" ?
Keyboard86
it's something I camed across on myheritage that's why I asked
hi I can find the death of Emma hambridge born walker on findmypast website can I please have some help please thanks

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: Saturday 15 June 19 20:13 BST (UK) »
hi I can find the death of Emma hambridge born walker on findmypast website can I please have some help please thanks

Kirsty, you have begun a new thread, an hour ago, saying you can't find the death of Emma and asking for help. I and another person have already replied on the new thread.
 P.S. Seems to have been answered on new thread.
Cowban

Offline kirsty.foreman

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: Wednesday 03 July 19 13:54 BST (UK) »
There is another thread that has been running concerning George Herbert Walker.
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=782973.msg6576481#msg6576481

I copy below details of a couple of posts I have made on that thread that contain pertinent information.

(1)
George Herbert Walker was baptised in 1886 in Brinklow, Warwickshire. This provides the information that his mother was Emily Walker, a single woman. No father is named.
1881 census for Brinklow has an Emily Walker age 18, daughter of James and Mary Ann Walker. She is likely to be the mother of George Herbert Walker.
In 1891 George  is living in Stockton, Warwickshire with his mother Emily and a sister called Rose ( born as Rose Morris with mmn Walker in Brinklow in  1888). Emily, George and Rose all have the surname Morris and Emily indicates that she is married, but her husband is not present.
In 1901 Emily ( still using the name Morris and claiming to be married) is living in Brinklow. Rose and George are not with her but she has three other children - Charles age 6, Lily age 1 and an unnamed infant. The births of all these children are registered as Morris with mmn Walker. No husband is present.
There is no record of a marriage between Emily and someone called Morris and it is likely they were never married. The only clue to the name of Mr Morris comes from the 1910 marriage certificate of daughter Rose, which names her father as Charles Morris, Boatman ( deceased).
Emily married in 1910 in Northants to William Harry Stratfull. She calls herself a widow and married under the name Morris. She gives her father as James Walker,  Boatman (deceased) The family are at Buckby Wharf, Northants in the 1911 census. William Harry and Emily have surname Stratfull ( married one year) There are four Morris children living with them - Lilian Mary (Lily) and Blanche Elizabeth ( the baby from 1901) plus Ethel born 1903 and Leonard born 1905. The latter two children are also recorded as surname Morris mmn Walker.
So to summarise, Emily Walker appears to have had seven children
George Herbert Walker (father unknown)
Rose ( father Charles Morris)
Charles ( father probably Charles Morris)
Lilian Mary (Lily)( father probably Charles Morris)
Blanche Elizabeth ( father probably Charles Morris)
Ethel ( father probably Charles Morris)
Leonard ( father probably Charles Morris)
It appears unlikely that Emily was actually ever married to Charles Morris.

(2)
Emily Ann Walker was born in 1863 in Brinklow. As far as I can see from census returns she was one of 12 children of James Walker and Mary Ann nee Gresley/Greasley. James Walker married Mary Ann Gresley on 16th December 1861 at Bordesley St Andrew, Warwickshire ( certificate viewable on Ancestry).He was age 32 and his occupation was Boatman ( although he appears as a Labourer on some of the census returns). His father was James Walker, a Tallow Maker. Mary Ann was 21, the daughter of Joseph Gresley, a Labourer.
Siblings of Emily were -
James born 1860 with surname Greasley ( pre marriage)
Emily Ann born 1863
Alice born 1864
George born 1866 died 1870
Lizzy born 1868 ( seems also to have been known as Lucy and Elizabeth)
Sarah Ann born 1870
Frederick born 1871 died 1872
Annie 1872
Edward 1874
Harry born 1875 died 1876
Beatrice Louisa 1876
Herbert 1878

James Walker was born about 1829 in Brinklow and Mary Ann Walker nee Gresley was born 1839/40 also in Brinklow.

Regarding your question about the possibility of Charles Morris being the father of George Herbert Walker. It is possible, but unfortunately I’m not sure how you would prove this conclusively as there is no father’s name  on his birth or baptism.
Hi can you please help me as I think I might be on the wrong track. Yesterday I did a page called may Martha walker I was told I did the wrong birth year for James walker who married Mary Ann Gresley I was trying to find out information about James walker mother who I thought was May Martha walker I really could do with some help thank you.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: Wednesday 03 July 19 14:26 BST (UK) »
Is this the new thread you started yesterday?

https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=815165.msg6763569#msg6763569

Rather than ask the same question here, it might be best to ask that question on the thread you started yesterday. That is where you were told that your dates are wrong.

Offline kirsty.foreman

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: Saturday 15 February 20 13:18 GMT (UK) »
I was just did if can find any photos of George Herbert walker he's wife Ada byfiled he's mum Emily walker her father James walker.
They are my family and I have no photos of them on there boats traveling up and down from Birmingham to Brentford