Author Topic: hambridge family on there canal boat.  (Read 41863 times)

Offline panished

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: hambridge family on there canal boat.
« Reply #144 on: Sunday 21 April 19 12:49 BST (UK) »
Thursday 09 March 1899
 Coventry Evening Telegraph
  Warwickshire   

NUNEATON AND DISTRICT NEWS
  HORSE. Thos. Hambridge, boatman, Atherstone, was summoned for cruelly illtreating and torturing a horse by working it in an unfit state

Friday 23 June 1893
  Coventry Herald
  Warwickshire 

REGISTERING CANAL BOAT. The canal boat “Providence,” belonging to Benjamin Beasley, of Hawkesbury, was registered. POULTRY, PIGEON, AND RABBIT SHOW AT COVENTRY. A show of poultry, pigeons, rabbits   

Saturday 19 December 1891
  Banbury Beacon
  Oxfordshire 

Canal Boats. —They recommend the Council reregister the canal boat Providence for Mr. Thomas Hambidge. 

Thursday 07 August 1890
  Banbury Advertiser
   Oxfordshire

Alleged Assault. —William Coombs, boatman, of Nuneaton, was charged with assaulting James and Harriett Hambridge Allerbury, July 23rd.— The case was adjourned for a fortnight   

Thursday 21 August 1890
 Banbury Advertiser
 Oxfordshire

Rival Boatmen. William Coombes, boatman, Nuneaton, was charged with assaulting James Hambridge, boatman, on July 23rd.— Defendant admitted shoving the complainant, but denied striking him

Saturday 01 June 1889
  Derby Daily Telegraph
  Derbyshire 

license for the canal boat, Providence,  No. 56, has been granted. FIRE BRIGADE COMMITTEE. This committee report six fires have occurred during the past

Thursday 06 June 1889
  Derby Daily Telegraph
  Derbyshire 

A license for the canal boat, “ Providence,” No. 56, has been granted. —On the motion of Mr. Harrison, the report of the committee was adapted, with the excention

Wednesday 01 June 1887
  Rugby Advertiser
  Warwickshire   

PETTY SESSIONS, Tuesday

Pugilistic Boatwomens. — Elizabeth Brickwell, wife of James Brickwell, canal boatman, was charged by Ann Hambridge, wife of William Hambridge, with using threats towards her at Rugby Wharf May 22., Sergeant Webb said they bad been unable to serve the summons upon them

Saturday 04 June 1887
  Rugby Advertiser
  Warwickshire 

Alleged Threats.— Louisa Coles, wife Thomas Coles, canal boatman, was charged by Ann Hambridge with using threats towards to her at Rugby Wharf on May 22.—Defendant, on enturing the box. said she was a stranger

Thursday 29 June 1882
  Banbury Guardian
  Oxfordshire 

The Alleged Theft of Brasses. a  boatman, was brought on remand charged with stealing four brasses from a harness, the property of William Hambridge, on the 3rd of June. The prosecutor deposed that

Saturday 20 September 1879
  Bristol Mercury
  Bristol 

Sad Death Drowning,—A very sad death of drowning occurred at the Gloucester and Berkeley Canal on Thursday. The canal boat Providence, laden and lying alongside a French schooner, into which her cargo

Monday 22 September 1879
  Bristol Mercury
  Bristol 

The Accident in the Canal.—The body of Richard Jones the master of the canal boat, Providence, who was drowned by his craft foundering in the canal, has been recovered, and the inquest held

Friday 10 October 1879
 Bicester Herald
  Oxfordshire   

Mr. James Hambridge, boatman 

Friday 30 March 1877
  Bristol Daily Post
  Bristol 

The story told in the paragraph to which we allude is a brief one. Lost Sunday morning an old bargeman, named George Hambridge, was found dead In his Boating home, where he had spent the greater portion of his life. There being no apparent cause for

Saturday 07 April 1877
  Alcester Chronicle
  Warwickshire

George Hambridge, 70, bargeman, who was found dead on his barge early Sunday morning. Mr. Wise, said the cause of death was inflammation

Saturday 09 November 1867
  Coventry Standard
  Warwickshire

—John Flyman, boatman, of Ashby-de-la-Zouch, was charged on the information of Supt. Austin, with assaulting and beating John Yardley, Sergeant of Police, on the Ist inst., at Nuneaton, while in the execution of his duty: and Samuel Hambridge, boatman, of Banbury, and John Whitehouse, boatman, of Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire, were charged with assaulting and beating

Offline panished

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: Sunday 21 April 19 12:50 BST (UK) »
 Saturday 06 May 1865
   Coventry Standard
Warwickshire 

NUNEATON.
Attempted Suicide. —On Tuesday last the neighbourhood of Tuttle Hill were alarmed by the report that Mrs. Cotton, widow of the late John Cotton, who formerly kept the Punch Bowl Inn, had attempted to commit suicide by cutting her throat

Friday 16 June 1865
 Coventry Standard
  Warwickshire 

NUNEATON
  Frederick Joyce, of Nuneaton, was brought up in custody of p.c. Bosworth, charged with stealing £2. 18s. 4d., from a boat lying at the Punch Bowl bridge, the property of Mark Lenton, of Coventry, boatman. —The prisoner was remanded for the Nuneaton petty sessions

Saturday 23 July 1864
  Rugby Advertiser
  Warwickshire 

Canal, and within a mile of the Railway Station – TWO SMALL HOLDINGS. RED BRICK AND TILE YARD, COTTAGE AND GARDEN. WHARF PART OF THE PUNCH BOWL INN. 

Friday 15 February 1861
  Coventry Standard
  Warwickshire 

NUNEATON
  Superintendent Thomas Austin, Nuneaton, stated that several boats were staying near the Punch Bowl Bridge during the frost, and a chain of the value of 7s. was taken from a boat belonging to Mr

Friday 28 June 1861
  Coventry Standard
  Warwickshire 

Superintendent Austin said : On Saturday morning last, between five and six o’clock, from information he received, I went to the Punch Bowl Bridge, Nuneaton, and there saw John Handley peeping over the left parapet of the bridge

Saturday 22 December 1860
  Coventry Standard
  Warwickshire 

NUNEATON
  unfit for duty for two days, but he succeeded in capturing him. Defendant is a boatman, and his boat was lying at the Punch-bowl bridge ; he stands about 6ft. in height, and is quite a young man. Fined

Saturday 18 June 1859
 Coventry Standard
  Warwickshire 

NUNEATON. A Child Drowned.—Od Tuesday, the 7th inst., a little boy named Arthur Rayson, about 6 years of age, son of Mrs. Hannah Ratliff, was trolling for craw fish (crab fish) in the Coventry canal, near the PunchBowl Bridge, Nuneaton, accompanied with 

Wednesday 30 June 1858
  Coventry Times
  Warwickshire 

NUNEATON
Howes' and Cushing's Circus.—This large equestrian troupe, from New York, paid Nuneaton a visit a few days ago, and gave two performances, in a large field near the Punch Bowl Inn, one at half-past two o'clock and the other at eight

Wednesday 11 August 1858
  Coventry Times
  Warwickshire

NUNEATON
 Robottom, farmer, of Tuttle Hill, Nuneaton, was busy harvesting in a field of oats, he fell from the top of a waggon load, and received such injuries that he died Sunday evening. An inquest was held on the body at the Punch Bowl, on Tuesday evening before

Friday 18 August 1848
  Coventry Standard
  Warwickshire 

thrown a quantity of heavy stones at his boat, whereby it had been considerably damaged. Mrs. Drake, landlady of the Punch Bowl Inn, close to where the boat was lying, on hearing a noise got up and went to the window ; it being a clear moonlight night

Friday 06 November 1846
  Coventry Standard
  Warwickshire

According to the complainant’s statement, she and her husband have lately become landlord and landlady the Punch Bowl Inn, in Nuneaton. On the 28th of October a horse belonging to a boatman called Mills was standing opposite their door, being left

Saturday 29 August 1835
 Leamington Spa Courier
  Warwickshire 

Warwick, Saturday, Aug 29, 1835
between eleven and twelve in the forenoon, George Hambridge, a boy about eight years of age, was unfortunately drowned in the third lock on the Warwick and Birmingham Canal. The father of the lad, a boatman in the employ of Messrs. Marriott and Whitley, told

Thursday 15 April 1830
  Worcester Journal
  Worcestershire 

FREE OF AUCTION DUTY,

CANAL BOAT, TO SOLD BY AUCTION, BY MOORE and WEAVER, On Wednesday next, on the first day of April, 1830, at the Anchor Inn, in the borough of Tewkesbury, precisely at three o’clock in the afternoon ; CANAL BOAT, called THE PROVIDENCE, Burthen

Thursday 23 August 1827
  Worcester Journal
  Worcestershire 

Newly-built CANAL BOAT, called THE PROVIDENCE.

on the link below there is a boat built called Providence, i do not know if its the Providence from the story above from 1827, or evan the Providence that you look for, good luck anyway i hope you find ""PROVIDENCE"

http://nurser.co.uk/construction/notebook-at-national-waterw/providence.html   

Offline jane harrison

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: Sunday 21 April 19 20:44 BST (UK) »
Wow you have been busy some great info here  i will tell the Hambridge boat people i know to look at all your wonderful info. Many years ago around 6 i gave Kerstie then posting under jessica rabbit contact phone no for her Hambridge  in Coventry (also part of my Harrison boatmen line )but for some reason she never contacted any of them or to take up my offer to meet them  she only lives a few miles from me. sadly since then some have gone a boating  to the great cut in the sky one just a few weeks ago
The boat providence you mention was actually at one time a wide beam horse  boat hired by Emmanuell Smith a Canal carried at Durham Wharf Brentford & the Boatman named Harrison was Alan Harrison my GG grandad  it was also in the hands of one of his sons for a while

Offline jane harrison

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: Sunday 21 April 19 21:16 BST (UK) »
Punch Bowl Wharf had an area where the boatmen could tie up for a while whilst their wives had their babies i have several birth certificates of family members that state this place of their birth,The boat school was called the Elsdale it was an old wooden wide beam horse boat & started at Paddington then was moved to West Drayton but was decided there was not enough room & the children had no place to play so so it was moved again to Bulls Bridge depot & after several years some of the wood became un repairable so the whole boat was pulled up out the water onto the bank where it remained for many years lots of my family attended the school inc my Dad & some of the Hambridge google & you will find a lot of pictures . there is a wide electric boat now that teaches schools about the canals & that was also named the Elsdale

Offline panished

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: Monday 22 April 19 07:32 BST (UK) »
Hi Jane

You are a nice and good person to share your stories, i have read your words and taken all the truth in them, i suppose the Canal life as changed over the years, around Nottingham there are miles of Canal, mostly now you see people just with flowers painted on their boats, not the real nitty gritty work-horses of the olden times, there used to be, well there still is but its different now, well we would call it the tow path, now its just a cycle or walkway for people out on a day out, the old tow path was for the horses that would pull the boats, every so offten i remember metal rings in the path to tie up the horse and boat i think, and sometimes  if i remember there was something else but i can not really think of it right, i think there was some tread holds in the ground under the low bridges where the horse would not fit, the horse would go round and people would pull the boats using their feet to use the treads as a leaver, well i remember things like that ,if they are true or false i dont know, i never saw this happen but when i was young we would use the old canal system as a guide to cross the City, right from my place named Sneinton the old Canal would head over towards Long Eaton Trent Lock way, we would offten walk miles me and brothers and pals, the Canals were over grown then, not all pretty like now, we would use the Canal and then climb banks to railway lines and walk them for a distance, then you found yourself at Wollaton Park, a great big open place with wild deer and lots of trees, that's how we got there by not using the roads, by the time we got back at night you could drink three classes of water you was so dry, the Canal now from the edge of Sneinton to the Long Eaton way is different to for another reason, back long ago the Canal was dead of the old way, when i was young it was a strange place, it was straddled by old factory type buildings all the way from Sneinton to the City where the Castle is, well back then the buildings had pipes and drain holes where steam or kinds of water would pump out into the Canal, it was a strange place to walk, lots was overgrown and steam was flowing out the buildings and evan hissing, not much people would walk the old Canal then, it was like our secret way, thank you for telling of the things you know it as been of great interest to learn of the Canal People

ps. i was just looking at the history of the Canal around Nottingham just to get a true feel for the truth and i started finding sad storeys of times gone, without this thread i would never have thought of such things, one thing always leads to another

Friday 10 July 1908
 Nottingham Evening Post
 Nottinghamshire

SNEINTON BOY DROWNED. FATAL FALL AT PLAY. Shortly after half past four yesterday afternoon William Clayton, aged eight, a schoolboy, whose parents live at Walker-street, Carlton-road, Sneinton, fell into the canal between the Carrington-street Bridge and

Friday 02 February 1866
  Nottinghamshire Guardian
  Nottinghamshire 

Child Drowned at Sneinton.— On Thursday evening C. Swarm, Esq., the county coroner, held an inquest at the Sir Robert Peel public-house, Sneinton, on the body of Eugene Theodore Wilkins, who was found drowned in the canal near Sneinton Hermitage

Saturday 22 September 1832
  Nottingham Journal
  Nottinghamshire 

CHILD FOUND IN THE  CANAL.—About nine o'clock on Wednesday last, as some boatmen were proceeding up the canal with a boat, they discovered, about one hundred yards beyond at the Canal Inn, a female infant floating in the water 

on this link below is the canal we would use as a road, to cross the city, it has changed now to a cleaned up place, some of the old buildings are still there as you can see, it was just a sort of natural dirt track with brambles and grass growing in parts, now you can walk for miles with children or dogs or evan a bike ride, lots of the old buildings that bordered the canal have been demolished, when i was young it was a dark and forboding place, very airey and atmospheric

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/news-and-views/media-centre/filming-and-photography/our-filming-and-photography-locations/castle-wharf-nottingham-and-beeston-canal

Thank you again for telling of your Canal People i will look up the information that you spoke of, i will look over the web sites and hopefully have a fuller picture of the past you paint

Offline kirsty.foreman

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: Monday 22 April 19 14:06 BST (UK) »
I was just wondering why did the hambridge family started working as canal boat man and lived on them and what did for a living before delivering coal.

Offline jane harrison

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #150 on: Saturday 27 April 19 16:14 BST (UK) »
Hi Jane

You are a nice and good person to share your stories, i have read your words and taken all the truth in them, i suppose the Canal life as changed over the years, around Nottingham there are miles of Canal, mostly now you see people just with flowers painted on their boats, not the real nitty gritty work-horses of the olden times, there used to be, well there still is but its different now, well we would call it the tow path, now its just a cycle or walkway for people out on a day out, the old tow path was for the horses that would pull the boats, every so offten i remember metal rings in the path to tie up the horse and boat i think, and sometimes  if i remember there was something else but i can not really think of it right, i think there was some tread holds in the ground under the low bridges where the horse would not fit, the horse would go round and people would pull the boats using their feet to use the treads as a leaver, well i remember things like that ,if they are true or false i dont know, i never saw this happen but when i was young we would use the old canal system as a guide to cross the City, right from my place named Sneinton the old Canal would head over towards Long Eaton Trent Lock way, we would offten walk miles me and brothers and pals, the Canals were over grown then, not all pretty like now, we would use the Canal and then climb banks to railway lines and walk them for a distance, then you found yourself at Wollaton Park, a great big open place with wild deer and lots of trees, that's how we got there by not using the roads, by the time we got back at night you could drink three classes of water you was so dry, the Canal now from the edge of Sneinton to the Long Eaton way is different to for another reason, back long ago the Canal was dead of the old way, when i was young it was a strange place, it was straddled by old factory type buildings all the way from Sneinton to the City where the Castle is, well back then the buildings had pipes and drain holes where steam or kinds of water would pump out into the Canal, it was a strange place to walk, lots was overgrown and steam was flowing out the buildings and evan hissing, not much people would walk the old Canal then, it was like our secret way, thank you for telling of the things you know it as been of great interest to learn of the Canal People

ps. i was just looking at the history of the Canal around Nottingham just to get a true feel for the truth and i started finding sad storeys of times gone, without this thread i would never have thought of such things, one thing always leads to another

Friday 10 July 1908
 Nottingham Evening Post
 Nottinghamshire

SNEINTON BOY DROWNED. FATAL FALL AT PLAY. Shortly after half past four yesterday afternoon William Clayton, aged eight, a schoolboy, whose parents live at Walker-street, Carlton-road, Sneinton, fell into the canal between the Carrington-street Bridge and

Friday 02 February 1866
  Nottinghamshire Guardian
  Nottinghamshire 

Child Drowned at Sneinton.— On Thursday evening C. Swarm, Esq., the county coroner, held an inquest at the Sir Robert Peel public-house, Sneinton, on the body of Eugene Theodore Wilkins, who was found drowned in the canal near Sneinton Hermitage

Saturday 22 September 1832
  Nottingham Journal
  Nottinghamshire 

CHILD FOUND IN THE  CANAL.—About nine o'clock on Wednesday last, as some boatmen were proceeding up the canal with a boat, they discovered, about one hundred yards beyond at the Canal Inn, a female infant floating in the water 

on this link below is the canal we would use as a road, to cross the city, it has changed now to a cleaned up place, some of the old buildings are still there as you can see, it was just a sort of natural dirt track with brambles and grass growing in parts, now you can walk for miles with children or dogs or evan a bike ride, lots of the old buildings that bordered the canal have been demolished, when i was young it was a dark and forboding place, very airey and atmospheric

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/news-and-views/media-centre/filming-and-photography/our-filming-and-photography-locations/castle-wharf-nottingham-and-beeston-canal

Thank you again for telling of your Canal People i will look up the information that you spoke of, i will look over the web sites and hopefully have a fuller picture of the past you paint
thank you for your pleasant reply sorry for the delay in my reply I have been away from the computer .there are many books that can be purchased from selling pages that will also help you understand the way of the canals & its people years back also their dress .customs & superstitions if at any time you get to travel to one of the many canal festivals let me know if I am there it would be a pleasure to show you around the boats & chat I would also fetch some of my old family photos

Offline kirsty.foreman

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: Saturday 27 April 19 20:05 BST (UK) »
I was just wondering why did the hambridge family started working as canal boat man and lived on them and what did they do for a living before delivering coal.

Offline panished

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: Sunday 28 April 19 17:14 BST (UK) »

Hi Jane

Thank you for such a kind offer, who knows one day i may write back, i do hope life is keeping you fine and all your family are well, i have learned much from just reading from this thread, you represent the Canal People well and show them for the People they are, i will try and learn more of their life and ways, good luck to you in the future, i wish only for the best of days to guide you onwards

michael