Author Topic: tracing info. for McDonaghs, Morrisroes, Croftons of Derrygolagh, Ballinafad  (Read 1916 times)

Offline derrygolagh

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
  :D

hello sligo roots chat, i'm new to this today so hope I get it right and do not do or say anything wrong!!!

i would be very grateful if anyone has any information on the above surnames in the above areas of sligo.
my great grandfather apparently was michael mcdonagh (1831) and he married sarah morrisroe, and they had four children to my knowledge and were farmers in derrygolagh. the children's names were my grandfather john patrick mcdonagh, (1862) his sisters anne and sarah and perhaps another sister whose name we do not know but think she died very young. grandfather came to england in (1892) with two cousins, batty and john morrisroe and he never returned to ireland.

sarah morrisroe had a brother barthlomew who married mary ann crofton and he came to england followed by his sons and daughter (they had six children), james, eliza, bartholomew, john, dominic and edward. I know that edward stayed in ireland and i believe i found dominic on an english census as being born in england but i forgot to note the census year, so will have to look that up again.  bartholomew and his wife mary ann returned to live in ireland. 

I am very keen to gain more history facts on the morrisroes and croftons and very keen to chat to crofton who i know has posted a lot of the above information which was helpful to my two second cousins in the usa.

I have just been over to derrygolagh and now know exactly where the farm was, where they worshiped and where they are buried all through the help of some very kind people.  i don't know if i am allowed to mention their names until i get used to this messaging system.

Thanks for any more info.
derrygolagh