Author Topic: british army involvement in russian civil war 1919  (Read 16798 times)

Offline Maryan

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: british army involvement in russian civil war 1919
« Reply #27 on: Monday 12 September 11 17:22 BST (UK) »
Thanks for helping...

This is the whole mystery, his army number in the RS was 45019, my grandfather never met him, but was always told he died in a battle / war...my Great grandmother claimed she received a war pension because of him and hence the reason she never remarried.

I can give you other details of their marriage, year and the place he was born...even a photo.

But he seems to disappear after WW1.

He was also abit of a bad boy, i've got a press clipping when he went to prison in 1911.

Thanks again all help is appreciated.

Offline mmm45

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Lowe(Lower Gornall-Castleford)
Blackburn (Castleford)
Sidwell(Ledsham)
Fairburn(Hartshead)
Wood(Liversedge)
Tallon (Whittington Lancs/Hartshead West Yorkshire)

Researching all Great War soldiers from the Spen Valley of West Yorkshire Especially lads from the Cleckheaton Company of 1/4th West Riding Regiment.

Offline mmm45

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Blackburn (Castleford)
Sidwell(Ledsham)
Fairburn(Hartshead)
Wood(Liversedge)

Researching all Great War soldiers from the Spen Valley of West Yorkshire Especially lads from the Cleckheaton Company of 1/4th West Riding Regiment.

Offline Matt R

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 12 September 11 18:05 BST (UK) »
I have found his medal card online, which indicates that he served in Gallipoli, and entered this particular theatre of war on June 15 1916. He also received a 15 Star, but from what I can see, he received the Victory and British War Medal at the end of the war.

It appears he was firstly in the Royal Scots where he served at Gallipoli. Then by the end of the war, he was with the Loyal North Lancashires.

I hope this helps...I'll do some more searching and see if I can come up with anything.

Matt.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Matt R

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Monday 12 September 11 18:07 BST (UK) »
Also, the 1/4th and 1/7th Battalions of the Royal Scots Regiment sailed out of Liverpool in late May, for Egypt. From here they sailed for Gallipoli on June 14 1915. One of these looks like his battalion to me, judging by his medal card stating he entered this theatre of war the next day.

Matt.

Offline mmm45

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Monday 12 September 11 18:10 BST (UK) »
Matt
Is there anything on card reference a discharge ?
List or KR392 ?

Ady
Blackburn (Castleford)
Sidwell(Ledsham)
Fairburn(Hartshead)
Wood(Liversedge)

Offline Matt R

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Monday 12 September 11 18:18 BST (UK) »
Ady, nothing concerning a discharge I am afraid.  The only extra info it give are the references for his medal rolls that you'd need a visit to Kew to search for more info from.

Failing that, the only other helpful information is that with the LN Lancs, he was a Private.

Maryan...you mention that his family were told he was killed? Together with the fact that he had history of being on the wrong side of the law...can I ask if anyone has his medals? He didn't desert, did he?

Matt.

Offline Maryan

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Monday 12 September 11 18:30 BST (UK) »
My father didn't even know they were married, my grandfather was born in Apr 1916 and they were married in Sept 1917...child born out of wedlock etc. I've got the wedding photo if that helps & that was me who posted that on 1914-18  some 5 years ago and i still don't know anything.

Matt
I thought he served in the North Lancs first, then the Royal Scots, as he was from Manchester and no-one has seen his medals, no-one ever spoke of him to my father's knowledge.

Keep it coming chaps...

Offline Matt R

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Monday 12 September 11 18:37 BST (UK) »
Hi Maryan,

I cannot be sure but the reason why I thought/think he was in the LNL Regiment after the RS is because on his medal card besides Victory Medal there is a little mark which is replicated on the card next to "L N Lancashire"...it's like an asterisk...which makes me think when he received his Victory Medal, he was in that Regiment.

I could be wrong though. I'm by no means an expert on these things!

Matt.