Author Topic: Michael Scanlon of Tralee COMPLETED with thanks.  (Read 8875 times)

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Michael Scanlon of Tralee
« Reply #9 on: Friday 30 September 11 17:44 BST (UK) »
Hopefully only one more thing you or another Kerrian(?) can help with please. One of the place names of birth for one of his possible siblings is called Ballyfeinaghty, Tralee. A search of these terms only comes up with a few other baptisms at churchrecords.irishgenealogy.ie, and maps doesn't recognise the placename either. Does anyone know where this is please?

I'm a Dubliner, people from Kerry are Kerrymen (and women) and they refer to their home county as 'The Kingdom'.

I had a very quick look for Ballyfeinaghty, but didn't see anything promising... which check in more detail over the weekend

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline annclare

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 01 October 11 20:34 BST (UK) »
There is a marriage showing for Michael Scanlon and Margaret Comman of Ballyvelly Tralee 24 Nov 1813 Witnesses Dermot Scanlon and Catherine Scollard. Ballyvelly is now part of the outskirts/suburbs of Tralee town .
There are also two other baptisms for what is possibly children of this couple
Mary Scanlon 11 Oct 1814 of Ballyvelly
Julia Scanlon 29 Sep 1816 also of Ballyvelly.
The later baptisms for Catherine 6 Nov 1818  gives Ballyeanachty as birthplace
which is possibly a different spelling of Ballyfeinaghty.
The birthplace for Jeremiah 8 Sep 1922 is given as Ballyeigh which I think is probably Ballyea further west of Tralee town on the Barrow harbour very near the town of Fenit. So the family seems to have moved from outside Tralee town to the area around Fenit.

annclare
Kerrisk, Healy, McGuire, Duggan - Kerry and US
Tuohy/Toohey,Gorman, Purcell, Fanning- Holycross Tipperary

Offline annclare

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 01 October 11 20:46 BST (UK) »
Also forgot to say the placenames database www.logainm.ie gives the Irish version of Ballyenaghty as Baile Ui Fhiannachta so another variation in English could be Ballyfeinaghty  - It is located in Clogherbrien parish which is between Tralee town and Spa in the direcion of Fenit. It doesn't seemed to be marked on the google map but the cordinates are given as 75166 17406 However it isn't marked on the Discovery series map for the area either.

annclare

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 02 October 11 11:54 BST (UK) »
following on from AnnClare's good work I found the townland of Ballyenaghty/Baile Ui Fhiannachta on the OSI map. It's located about 5km north west of Tralee town centre : Ballyenaghty  (OSI Map - select the 6" option for the 1820s/40s map)

Here's the approximate location (B marker) on Google maps : link

As AnnClare mentioned the townland is in the civil parish of Clogherbrien, and this is one of those included in the RC parish of Tralee.

Shane

Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline Grothenwell

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Love Endures Delay
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 03 October 11 13:48 BST (UK) »
Shane & annclare I can't thank both of you enough for your help here  ;D

Can I recap and ask for your opinions please?

I am looking for birth, death or anything else regarding the family of Michael Scanlon, who according to two pieces of evidence was born in 1828 in Tralee.

A birth on churchrecords.irishgenealogy.ie cannot be found, but there is a christening on IGI of a Michael O'Scanlan 22nd Dec 1826 in Tralee, Father Michael O'Scanlan, Mother Margaret Cummane. Which nearly fits in with the parents given on his marriage cert of Michael Scanlon & Margaret Cumming. My first questions that you may be able to help with are where do you think this record came from, and why is it not available on irishgenealogy?

Shane has kindly found possible siblings John O'Scanlan in BALLYFEINAGHTY 1829 and Daniel O'Scanlan in 1834 Father: Michael O'Scanlan, Mother: Margaret Cummane/Commane

annclare has also kindly found a marriage in 1813 for possible parents Michael Scanlon and Margaret Comman of BALLYVELLY with possible siblings there of Mary Scanlan in 1814, Julia Scanlan in 1816 (mother Commane) and then Catherine Scanlan in 1818 in BALLYEANACHTY and then Jeremiah Scanlon in 1822 in BALLYEIGH (possibly Ballyea?)(mother Cumane).

Now I believe that unless there are two Margaret Cum(m)anes or Commanes and other close variants that these are all the same parents and siblings of Michael Scanlon. My question is was it common or possible then why that the "O'" was added to Scanla(o)n sometime between 1822 and 1826/8?

The years between 1822 and 1829 on the Irishtimes link Shane gave are covered, but is it likely that the records could be as it says on the site "excluding originals in local custody", that Michaels and potentially other siblings could be lost or in local custody?

Again thank you for all the work and help you have given. Hopefully my wife and I will get over on holiday and see where her ancestors originated. I have heard it is a lovely bit of the country.

Best wishes,

Grothenwell
Aberdeenshire; Brechin, Robb, Clark, Hardie, Johnston, Watt, Elmslie, Milne, Harper, Adam, Edmond, Laing, Gibson, Aedie, Jameson, Argo & Doverty.
Booth, Watson, Grothenwell, Ewen, Mackie, Simpson, Piper, Taylor, Davidson, Willox, Chalmers & Gordon
Still, Fraser, Robertson, Burnet & Lumsden
Banffshire; Cruickshank, Bennet, Broug, Allen, West & Lyal
Caithness; Sutherland
Herefordshire, Worcester, Monmouthshire, Gloucestershire; Wagstaff, Jones, Turner, Wiggett, Hannes

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 03 October 11 14:23 BST (UK) »
The records on IrishGenealogy for the parish of Tralee should be complete transcription of the available historic records, so if any records are actually missing it is probably due to missing or damaged pages in the register. It's also possible that Michael's baptism wasn't recorded by mistake or took place in an adjacent parish where the records dont go back far enough. e.g. one of the adjacent parishes (Spa) to the north west only has records back to 1866.

The IrishGenealogy website is undergoing updates at the moment, so some of the searches are a little unreliable, so its worth double checking after everything settles down. Many of Kerry registers are available to view on the IrishGenealogy website so you could try to check through the images for any gaps or difficult to decipher pages. Microfilms of the historic registers are available in the National Library in Dublin - the references are :  Pos. 4269, 4270 and 4271.  (baptisms up to 1845 seem to be on 4269)

Unfortunately the 1826 Michael O'Scanlon record on the IGI is submitted, so there's no source, or proof provided.

Prefixes on surnames like O and Mc were flexible - so could be shown irregularly. O means 'descendent of', Mc or Mac means 'son of'.

Shane

edit : IGI link fixed
My Surname Interests

Offline annclare

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 03 October 11 15:51 BST (UK) »
Grothenwell

I came across a birth for Michael O Scanlon on the irish genealogywebsite but I didn't transcribe it and unfortunately the records on this site are not available just now - it may be the site is being updated and other parish records are being added as was promised some months ago. But if you try in a few days you will find it or I will post when I can get into the site.
I think it is most probable that the records found so far are all belonging to the same family.

Regards
annclare

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 03 October 11 16:07 BST (UK) »
here's a link to the record AnnClare mentioned...hope it works : link

Tralee RC Parish
  Name : Michael O'Scanlan
  Baptism: 22 December 1826 (based on other details)
  Address: Ballifeinaghty
  Parents: Michael O'Scanlan & Margaret Scanlan
  Sponsors: Edmund O'Hayes & Mary Rowan

Shane
My Surname Interests

Offline annclare

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 03 October 11 16:23 BST (UK) »

Shane You got there before me. The mother's name is recorded as Margaret Scanlan different from the IGI record. All the Kerry parish records online were transcribed from the original parish registers - it took quite a number of years to complete and in the beginning there was general unease that some of the transcribers were not familiar with parish or genealogical records so that there were a number of errors. I suspect that this is a mistranscription and the original should read Cummane. When I am next in The National Library I can check the microfilm of Tralee parish register and will post what I find.
regards
annclare