Author Topic: Massey in Montreal c 1930  (Read 6121 times)

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Massey in Montreal c 1930
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 21 July 11 21:36 BST (UK) »
You already had a thread started on William George Massey and Mae MacIntyre  http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,526058.0.html
Best to stick to the one thread on the subjects already mentioned so as to not duplicate resources.
Unfortunately, if place of birth is not listed, "Parish" can just mean the church in her area at the time of the marriage

A Montreal cemetery, two Mary one Marie Agatha Ida click on name for burial dates http://www.cimetierenddn.org/en/research/locate.htm
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline juno

• RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 21 July 11 22:47 BST (UK) »
Thank you for that information.
I tried different threads for different locations, because there doesn't seem to be a National data base, for Candian Birth Marriages & Deaths... And the people   seem to have lived in several 'states' or provinces.-  With a few variables.
Williams death is not recorded on all the burial records sites I checked for instance.

Bit like county records in the UK. but the is an index for all English BMD which I haven't found for this search.

I  shall check out the sites you have kindly provided .

Offline chinakay

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Our housegoof
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 21 July 11 22:56 BST (UK) »
No, there is no central database for Canadian statistics. Everything is done separately by provinces, and each province does things differently. Some provinces have stuff freely available on the internet, some make you prove you are related to a person, and some don't have anything.

Drives us all crazy :P :)
Moore/Paterson~Montreal
Moore/Addison~New Brunswick
Jubb/Kerr~Mirfield~Halifax~Moffatt
Williams~Dolwyddelan

King~Bedfordshire~Hull
Jenkins~Somerset
Sellers~Hull

Offline juno

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 23 July 11 15:01 BST (UK) »
Following the information received I searched Lovells directory.

I have found the daughter born in 1918 to William & Mary, --Phyllis Mary,
 in 1948 she is an employee of Lymans Ltd, and living at 1472 Gladstone Ave.
She seems to live there a couple of years.
Also at that address are two? Edward Massey's. One is a Mach. the other- Ed junior, is a tool maker, later a shipper.

And they have lived there since 1940? and continue to do so, until 1956+?

As far as I am aware  there are no Edward/Edmund Massey's in the family. Her father being the only son, and she an only child? certainly the first child born to William & Mary

Is there any way to find out more on this Edward/Edmund? or the ages of these people to check identities.?
Thank you

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 23 July 11 18:37 BST (UK) »
There is a Phyllis Mary Massey b. 1928 and baptized 1929, the daughter of an Edward Massey, Machinist, of the City of Montreal (Drouin Collection). Suspect this is the family in the directory.

Polarbear
We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline juno

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 23 July 11 21:57 BST (UK) »
Ah, wrong Phyllis Mary Massey for me than. 10 years out. mine born 1918.  :(  But how odd. the same names.

The mother is correct though, and lives at Mount Royal until 1963, then 1964 is a blank for that address and 1965 is a new name.
May be died then?

So still looking for Mary Phyllis after 1938 after her return from trip to England with her mother when she is aged 20.

Thank you all for helping.

Offline juno

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 24 July 11 07:54 BST (UK) »
Just one query on the contents of the Lovell's directory please.
 How was the information collected? Did the people fill in a form themselves?
I ask because the entries against 52 Thornton Ave, vary. The latter ones  1957-64 state  Mrs  M.I , widow of W.G.
And so she  chose to have her name entered thus.

This is clearly not true, as his military records and number states that he died in 1971,  but I wondered if there was a divorce or legal settlement as she was originally a RC. and she regarded that as final! ( Although they were married in both CoE and RC churches)...

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 29 July 11 02:03 BST (UK) »
Locally, directory questions were asked of the individual and filled in by others who worked for the directory. The name abbreviations were chosen by the individual depending how much they wished to divulge...
Many women stated widow on census although known to be separated, so this isn't unusual.

The residential part would usually be just head of household, primary renter or house owner listed, so unless found in the other portion which was one's occupation out in the workforce, there would likely not be a listing.
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com