Author Topic: Guerins  (Read 4703 times)

Offline Boreenatra

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Guerins
« on: Sunday 01 May 05 17:49 BST (UK) »
Searching for any information on John "Jack" Guerins who was born in Cappoquin c. 1869 and died in the Depot of the Royal Munster Fusiliers in Tralee  23/3 /1915 and is buried in the Tralee Military Cemetery.He had been in Burma, and as far as we know in South Africa during the Boer War. We do have some other details but any info would be greatly appreciated. Regards Steve.

Offline Annie91232

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Guerins
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 13 November 05 15:27 GMT (UK) »
"Soldiers Died" lists John Guerins as born in Cappoquin, but residing in Dungarvan:   5189 Private John Guerins died at home 23rd March 1915. **  However, you state he is buried in Tralee (have you seen his headstone?) and 'at home' may mean in the depot though usually when they write ' at home' it means the homeplace.   I have to leave that one up to you to decide.

In the 1911 Census Returns, there is listed as living at 12 Strand Street, Dungarvan:

Guerin - John and Bridget, Denis.

This seems to be your John.

**Waterford County Council has computerised the Death Registers of the area, so they may provide you with more information. 

Good luck. 

Offline Boreenatra

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 13 November 05 17:22 GMT (UK) »
Annie. Thanks for your reply. Yes this is our man Jack. We do have the SDGW info and have got some more info since our original posting in May. We've seen his grave in the Tralee Military Cemetery but cannot find out a great deal of other info. We have seen his attestation papers at the NA and a lot of his war record survives but it stops short of his passing. Finding info about people who served in the Ballymullen Barracks is almost impossible as there seems to be no accessible records. The Waterford Coco site has given us a lot of info but the death registers only go to 1901. For anyone else who needs Census info try Noel Farrell's book "Dungarvan Family Roots" which has the 1901 and 1911 complete Census's for Dungarvan and also Griffith's and also the 1936/7 Electors list. For anybody researching Dungarvan or it's families it is indispensible. What we really are looking for is anything on Jack's early life or any of his family. He doesn't make it easy for us as his army record states his family history as being "vague"
Many thanks again for your reply and if you come across any other info please contact me. Regards Steve

Offline Ni Sheaghdha

• RootsChat Extra
  • Sweet Dungarvan Bay
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 24 April 06 01:38 BST (UK) »
Steve,
You  know that all the birth death and marriage records are kept  in the local hospital in Dungarvan and as I live in Dungarvan, I am willing to get a copy  of Jack Guerin's birth cert and any others. You are of course aware that Cappoquin comes under the Dungarvan area.  It will only cost you the price of the cert.  Let me know if there is anything else that you want
Cáit 
Browning -Sussex - Henfield- Portslade -Horsham - Ballinasloe- Manchester- Cumbria- Lancaster. Kent - Australia- New Zealand.
Haybittle -Sussex  Ashurst/Henfield
Clark -Sussex- Scotand
Ashdown/ Piper/ Sired  Sussex
Cuckoo/Duff -Kent -Surrey

Comber/ Morley/Parson/Boniface/Lansdown - Sussex-
Billinghurst - Sussex - New Zealand.
Hemming- Bromsgrove
O'Shea - Co. Waterford /NewYork /New Jersey.
Maher - Co Waterford
Goyette - Canada
Mandville - Canada- France - Sussex