Author Topic: Robert Kennedy/Robert Kennaugh?  (Read 5271 times)

Offline Scawfell Dyke

• RootsChat Member
  • Seathwaite Miners
    • View Profile
Robert Kennedy/Robert Kennaugh?
« on: Sunday 17 July 11 15:40 BST (UK) »
I had an ancestor called Robert Kennedy, born about 1799 on the IOM. His wife was Elizabeth (also Manx), and two of their children (at least) were born on the island: Robert (1822/3), and John (1826/7). However, the IGI has no trace of Robert's baptism, marriage, or the two sons' baptisms.

They moved over to Whitehaven in about 1829. In 1841 and 1851, there is an Esther Collister living with them, identified as mother-in-law in the later census, (aged 82).

A number of months ago, I came up with the theory that Robert was originally called Kennaugh, and I noticed that a Robert Kennaugh married an Elizabeth Quiggin in Malew in 1817. This couple had children William (in 1818), Robert (1820) and Thomas (1826). My Robert had a son William who migrated to New Jersey. Elizabeth was apparently the daughter of William Quiggin and Esther Bridson (married 1793), and an Esther Quiggin or Bridson married a John Callister in 1815, so this could have been the Esther Colister who lived with the Kennedys in Whitehaven.

I've tried to find links with other Kennedys/Kennaughs in Whitehaven, but only one example stands out. A William Braney married an Ann Kennedy in 1827. He was born on the IOM (1861 Census), and a daughter, Elizabeth, was born in Malew in 1833 - and the IGI gives the mother as Ann KENNAUGH!

There was a Robert Kennedy baptized in Patrick in 1792, but he seemed to be the one that relocated to Liverpool by 1851.

Any help or suggestions would be most welcome.

Regards,

Stephen

Offline Frances_mnb

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Robert Kennedy/Robert Kennaugh?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 17 July 11 18:50 BST (UK) »
on Island Kenniaugh (+ kennaugh) is quite distinct from Kennedy  - the latter normally being non-Manx - Kenniaugh is pronounced (at least around Peel / Patrick where name is quite common) as something like kenyak but guess Kennedy might be an easy anglicisation (there are several other examples eg Mcylvorrey usually became Morrison)
any thing with a Manx Connection

Offline Scawfell Dyke

• RootsChat Member
  • Seathwaite Miners
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 18 July 11 18:43 BST (UK) »
I believe it is pronounced "Kenna" in Whitehaven. It would have been more unusual than Kennedy, since Kennedys arrived from Scotland and Ireland.

Stephen

Offline Pastmagic

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Levington House, Mullingar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 18 July 11 18:56 BST (UK) »
http://www.isle-of-man.com/manxnotebook/famhist/fnames/index.htm

May not solve your problem, but looks quite interesting.

PM

Offline Frances_mnb

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 18 July 11 18:59 BST (UK) »
I've seen several instanstances of Kennaugh/Kenna in the Manx records - Kenniaugh is more of a Peel/Patrick/German name with Kenna/Kennah starting to appear in Douglas (then Lonan) from early 19th C - wonder if this is feed back from Whitehaven (or elsewhere) of an anglicised name.
Should have also mentioned the other anglicisation of Boddaugh to Boyd(e) in which the'agh' (in colloquial manx a suffix turning a verb into a noun  eg bannee to bless - bennagh blessing)
any thing with a Manx Connection

Offline Scawfell Dyke

• RootsChat Member
  • Seathwaite Miners
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 19 July 11 19:10 BST (UK) »
The Manx Kennedys also had strong links with Malew. It is possible that Robert "Kennedy" was aware of this family, and maybe adopted the name in place of the more unusual Kennaugh. I had a look at the IGI, and there were fewer Kennaughs recorded in Whitehaven than I remembered.

I might have tracked down Esther Collister's death. Toxteth Park Cemetery has this: Esther Collister, 85 Years, Widow, Villar Street Islington, 13 May 1858. No idea who she would have been living with in Liverpool. There doesn't seem to be an Esther there in 1851.

Stephen