Author Topic: Burma battle info  (Read 1045 times)

Offline Nick Hill

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Burma battle info
« on: Monday 18 July 11 11:07 BST (UK) »
Hi Folks bit of a long shot I'm affraid.  My Great Uncle was i Burma during WWII nserving in I believe the artillery

I have attched a photo which may confirm this.

My dad remembers him telling a story about being dug in near a hospital were the japanes troops were torturing and killing the patients and doctors but they were not allowed to open fire as this would give away his position.

Does this ring any bells with the experts out there?

His name was Athalstan Hill Born 1916 In West Yorks (Purston)

thanks for reading

Nick

Offline Pete Keane

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Burma battle info
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 20 July 11 10:30 BST (UK) »
Hi Nick

Sadly, stories about the japanese often turn out to be either correct, or based on the truth. Certainly in relation to the retreat from Burma, and also the invasion of Singapore, there are many such incidents, some well documented.

Best thing would be to get hold of his service history, that would tell you a lot about his service, postings etc.

pete

Offline old rowley

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • first steps
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 21 July 11 07:52 BST (UK) »
Hi Nick, the photograph does indeed show Athalstan serving in the R.A., was he captured and held prisoner do you know?

OR.
Claxton- East London & Essex<br />Cuthbert- Mile End East London <br />Edwards - East London & Essex<br />Goll- Norfolk<br />Harris-Mile End East London<br />Hurr - Suffolk<br />Law- Bethnal Green East London<br />Moll- East London<br />Robinson- Bethnal Green East London<br />Tait- Argyll & Glasgow<br />Thompson Shoreditch East london<br />Watson- Glasgow<br />Wood- Bethnal Green East London<br /><br />Local history interest; Noak Hill & Harold Hill Essex<br /><br />census information crown cop

Offline Nick Hill

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 21 July 11 09:10 BST (UK) »
thanks guys knew it was a long shot but the RA tip takes me a bit coser

Need to speak to my dads cousin Athalstan son as he is next of kin

cheers

Nick