Author Topic: Anthony family of Coggeshall  (Read 7143 times)

Offline merrymoo

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Anthony family of Coggeshall
« on: Tuesday 19 July 11 08:42 BST (UK) »
Hi, I have just started researching the Anthony family, boot makers of Coggeshall in the 1700's. I find that most baptisms etc are at Independent, Great Coggeshall. Which church would this be? Please could you help.
Rodd, Royffe, Guinn (Bethnal Green), Trevett, Trivet etc (Dorset), Moore (Devon & Dorset), Cox Lyme Regis & Bath), McGregor (Surrey & Kent), Brown & Wilkinson (Bethnal Green), Wilkinson, Hazell, Hazel,Poole & Poole (Bucks)
Royffe, Ducro (London, prob Huguenot)
Scotland: Mackrell (Dumbarton)
Wales: Thomas, Jones (Glamorgan)
Ireland: Kelly (Dublin City), Stubbs (Dublin and Mallow, Cork), Woods (Dublin City) Mackrell (Limerick) Moram (Dublin) Toole (Dublin)

Online louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Anthony family of Coggeshall
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 19 July 11 08:58 BST (UK) »
In myopinion there is no Great Coggleshall churches, listed below are under Coggleshall

St Peter ad Vincular from 1587
Coggleshall Congregational from 1752
Monthly meeting from 1652

Louisa Maud
Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Granath Sweden and London
Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Offline merrymoo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 19 July 11 18:29 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I was only stating what is on the Family Search result, I wondered if anyone would know which of these churches would be classed as "Independent". I would assume it was not St Peter Ad Vincular as it is Church of England so it must be one of the others.

The Monthly Meeting house is Quaker, would this be classed as Independent?

Coggeshall Baptist Church, Coggeshall Congregational Church and Coggeshall Wesleyan Methodist Church are all mentioned separately on the Coggeshall Museum website.

I hope you can understand my confusion.

In case it helps the Anthony family are boot and shoe makers and tambour lace makers and all have very Jewish sounding names, Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, Rebecca, etc etc.

Thanks for your reply
Rodd, Royffe, Guinn (Bethnal Green), Trevett, Trivet etc (Dorset), Moore (Devon & Dorset), Cox Lyme Regis & Bath), McGregor (Surrey & Kent), Brown & Wilkinson (Bethnal Green), Wilkinson, Hazell, Hazel,Poole & Poole (Bucks)
Ireland: Kelly (Dublin City), Stubbs (Dublin and Mallow, Cork), Woods (Dublin City) Mackrell (Limerick) Moram (Dublin) Toole (Dublin)

Offline findem

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 20 July 11 01:51 BST (UK) »
Hi Merrymoo,

If we are both researching the same Anthony family I think you will find that the children you mention were baptised in the Congregational Chapel, Coggeshall.
I have an interest in the family of Abraham & Rebecca Anthony/Antiney because I have reason to believe that Jane Howard nee Anthony, widow, who married Michael Dalton in 1796 at Coggeshall is the daughter of Abraham & Rebecca.

From my research at the ERO I have the following children of Abraham & Rebecca Anthony/Antiney all baptised at Coggeshall Congregational, spellings as per register.
Charlot 22 Sep 1762.
Abraham & Sarah 17 Nov 1767.
Isaac 22 Jan 1779, born 9 Sep 1775.
Jacob 22 Jan 1779, born 30 Apr 1776.
The surname for the first three children Antiney, for the other two Anthony.

According to the IGI batch # C067212 there were two other children of Abraham and Rebecca baptised at Coggeshall Independent:
Jane Anthony 30 Apr 1758, if correct (I hope) no doubt Michael Dalton's wife.
A female Antiney child abt 15 Nov 1767, I believe I may have seen this entry but have mislaid those particular notes

If I did miss those two children I can understand why, the writing was pretty awful and blotched in places and unfortunately being on Microfilm as opposed to Microfiche, the registers are not on the ERO's online SEAX system, so I'm unable to recheck myself.  Also unfortunately I'm informed that the originals of the Registers are held at the National Archives Kew, in subsequent visits to the UK after initial research of the Anthony family, I never had the time to fit in research at both the ERO and Kew.

I haven't  found the marriage of Abraham and Rebecca, have you?

By the way Coggeshall in it's time has been called both Great Coggeshall and just Coggeshall, no doubt the title Great was used to distinguish it from Little Coggeshall.

Regards

Concentrating currently on:
Essex: Card, Harris, Stowell, Theobald/Tibbles & Turner.
Norfolk: Beale, Cork & Dalton.
Yorkshire: Oswald Sturdy birth/baptism c1708, Oswald where the devil are you?

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline merrymoo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 20 July 11 08:40 BST (UK) »
Hi, thanks for your interesting reply, it does look like we are researching the same family. The Jane HOWARD you mention I'm sure is Jane ANTHONY b 1758 Coggeshall bapt 30 Apr 1758 Gt Coggeshall. (Source Family Search as you found already).

Thanks for Charlot and Sarah which I didn't have and for the Antiney name also.

I have widened the search for the family in the last couple of days and found that Alfred Isaac, Abraham and Rebecca's 2nd gt grandson was a Congregational Minister, so I think question is answered!!

I'm sorry I have no marriage for Abraham and Rebecca, of course it is possible they never married.

I will contact you through the personal email system so we can keep in touch
Diane

Offline maudarby

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 20 July 11 12:30 BST (UK) »
Hi Diane
I think it highly unlikely that Abraham & Rebecca were never married.
This is a link to Jack Baxter's Essex marriage index. His charges as you will see are very reasonable & if they married in Essex I am sure he will be able to find it.
http://www.sturnidae.com/Essex/Marriages.htm

Although Abraham & Rebecca's children were baptised at the Congregational church I think three of their children were buried in the parish churchyard, perhaps the church didn't have it's own burial ground at that time. The ERO records indicate that burial records for the Congregational church start in 1807.
Coincidentally an Abraham Anthony is listed in the parish burial register as being buried on the 2nd April 1807 ( in the Meeting yard).

1759 Sep 19th a child of Abraham Anthoney buried
1770 June 11th a daughter of Abraham Anthony buried
1772 Oct 9th a child of Abraham Anthony buried

I think you need to fit these deaths in between the children that you have baptism or birth dates for to try & work out which children died.

Maudarby

Offline merrymoo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 20 July 11 13:26 BST (UK) »
Thanks so much for the info on those three and I will have a good look. Also for Jack Baxter's marriage index.
I am at work at mo  ::) (lunchtime) so will look at that later.

Thanks again  :) and any more info from anyone would be gratefully received.

Offline maudarby

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 20 July 11 19:24 BST (UK) »
Hi Diane
I have been looking at Coggeshall for a baptism for Abraham Anthony & I am not sure if I have found him or not :-\
Abraham son of Wm & Susannah Anthony bap August 16th or 26th 1733.

Abraham son of Wm & Susannah Anthony born 12th April, bap 11th May 1734.

Abram son of Wm & Susannah buried 11th May 1734.

So we have a baptism & a burial on the same day for an Abraham & as far as I can see no burial for an Abraham between August 1733 & May 1734 so was the burial the one born in 1733 with another son given the same name & baptised the same day?

Maudarby

PS Just noticed you have the surname Guinn in your list of surnames.
My gr great grandmother was a Caroline Guin/Guinn born c1824 at Shoreditch, although after her marriage she did live in Bethnal Green.

Offline merrymoo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 20 July 11 21:08 BST (UK) »
I think the 2 Abrahams were consecutive children of Abraham and Susannah as you say, but I thought the 2nd Abraham was born and bapt in 1735 am I wrong? If as you say one child died and was buried on the same day as the other child what a sad story but not unusual.

My link to the Anthony family is Maria Anthony b 1792 Paglesham, Essex, daug of Abraham Anthony b 1767 and Susannah (Susan), who is son of Abraham Anthony b 1735 and Rebecca. That Abraham son of Abraham and Susannah as we know.

Maria and Benj, after a chequered career, settled in Bow after a removal order from Cheshunt was made, had a son William Henry Guinn in 1829 who married in 1844 Caroline Royffe b 1826. They had a Caroline in 1848.

The children of Benj and Maria settled in Bethnal Green eventually.

These are the only Caroline Guinns I have but I'm sure they must be connected the coincidence is too great. Is your Caroline the wife of William Henry, if she is I have lots of info on the Royffes including an entry in the Proceedings of the Old Bailey!!

Would love to know if you can connect this.

Thanks for your help and hope to hear from you again.