Author Topic: Anthony family of Coggeshall  (Read 7141 times)

Offline JMorrow

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Anthony family of Coggeshall
« Reply #18 on: Friday 17 February 23 08:13 GMT (UK) »
Coggeshall was a hotbed of nonconformity - and the small idenpendent Coggeshall Museum is an absolute must-go place for anyone researching Coggeshall nonconformists, IMHO.

My direct patrilineal line takes me back to Coggeshall shoemakers too - but my family name is Burrows, not Anthony. There seem to have been quite a few shoemakers in Coggeshall ...

I’ve only just started out on my research but I’m a descendent of a shoemaker from Coggeshall called Burrows. Apparently he was a very radical man so I wonder if he was a non conformist. This was my Granny’s father. She was Kathleen Burrows and he was Joseph Burrows.

Offline jbml

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 18 February 23 13:42 GMT (UK) »
Please PM me, JMorrow ... we are related and I have a lot on this family; but it sounds as though you have some stuff which I do not have, too.

I think you'll need to make a few more posts before we can PM.

There were three John Burrowses - grandfather, father and son. The middle one had a brother called Joseph Burrows who was a Colchester nurseryman, and an apprentice called Benjamin Gooding.

The youngest John Burrows was, in turn, apprenticed to Benjamin Gooding. The Goodings and the Burrowses were related by marriage, but it is a very tangled web and I have not yet got it fully untangled.

Benjamin Gooding and the youngest John Burrows moved into the east end of London and I am descended from him. But most of the Burrowses seem to have names one of their sons Joseph.
All identified names up to and including my great x5 grandparents: Abbot Andrews Baker Blenc(h)ow Brothers Burrows Chambers Clifton Cornwell Escott Fisher Foster Frost Giddins Groom Hardwick Harris Hart Hayho(e) Herman Holcomb(e) Holmes Hurley King-Spooner Martindale Mason Mitchell Murphy Neves Oakey Packman Palmer Peabody Pearce Pettit(t) Piper Pottenger Pound Purkis Rackliff(e) Richardson Scotford Sherman Sinden Snear Southam Spooner Stephenson Varing Weatherley Webb Whitney Wiles Wright

Offline jbml

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 18 February 23 13:48 GMT (UK) »
Was your great grandfather Joseph Burrows, born in 1838, who enlisted in either the Royal Navy or the Royal Marines in 1856?
All identified names up to and including my great x5 grandparents: Abbot Andrews Baker Blenc(h)ow Brothers Burrows Chambers Clifton Cornwell Escott Fisher Foster Frost Giddins Groom Hardwick Harris Hart Hayho(e) Herman Holcomb(e) Holmes Hurley King-Spooner Martindale Mason Mitchell Murphy Neves Oakey Packman Palmer Peabody Pearce Pettit(t) Piper Pottenger Pound Purkis Rackliff(e) Richardson Scotford Sherman Sinden Snear Southam Spooner Stephenson Varing Weatherley Webb Whitney Wiles Wright