Author Topic: Unknown people in Grave  (Read 5532 times)

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Unknown people in Grave
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 24 July 11 10:52 BST (UK) »
Hi Sy

The headstones and memorials remain, they aren't routinely removed at the end of the lease.

However, in the future, if the headstone falls over or the cemetery needs to do specific work in the area, and the records aren't updated, they won't know who to contact.

For example, my greatgrandparents are buried in a plot in Hitchin cemetery. I discovered too late that the lease had expired and that ownership had reverted back to the council. My greatgrandparents were still the owners even though they had both died, ownership hadn't been transferred to my grandmother or any of her siblings, all bar 2 very elderly great aunts in Australia are now also deceased. However, I have made a point though of making sure my contact details and relationship to those in the plot have been lodged at the cemetery office, should they need to contact a family member in the future.  As far as I'm aware the council have no immediate plans for the cemetery.

Dawn
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 24 July 11 16:30 BST (UK) »
You seem to have reached a similar type of conclusion to the one I had with an unknown woman in a faimily grave. Further investigation showed the lady concerned to have been the previous unknown wife of my gradfather's brother (my great uncle). In this instance the unknown proved to be a useful resource to me.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline Nick29

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 18 August 11 11:16 BST (UK) »
Your experience is similar to mine.  In an attempt to smash some stubborn brick walls, I recently visited the graveyard where many of my father's ancestors are buried, in the hope that an inscription might clarify family relationships.  After a couple of hours of fruitless searching, I wandered in to the church, where the Sunday service had just finished.  I asked if there was anyone who could help me locate the graves of my ancestors.

By a wonderful stroke of luck, they told me that the church archivist was in the church, and if I cared to wait, then she may be able to spare me a few minutes.  The archivist found the burial records of my g.g. grandparents, and gave me the location of the grave (which unfortunately had been badly damaged in a storm in the 1980's, and was not recognisable).  The archivist also looked in the records to find who else was in the grave, and found their grand-daughter who they never met, who died at the age of 4.

I left the archivist a list of other people that I was interested in, and some money to cover postage and expenses.  I wasn't expecting too much to happen, but about a week later I received a letter giving me details of these people and (more intriguingly) who else was buried in their graves.  Because the burial ground was inside the parish church, then all parishioners had the right to be buried there, but they did not get exclusivity unless they paid for a plot.  The people buried in these graves helped me establish family connections - a niece buried in the grave of an uncle, and some people who didn't seem to be connected other than being great family friends who lived next door, and who baptised their children on the same days.

I hadn't persued the burial line of research too greatly until now, but the wealth of information I received means that I will certainly do it again (as soon as my health permits)  :)
RIP 1949-10th January 2013

Best Wishes,  Nick.

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 18 August 11 14:18 BST (UK) »
Right to interrment in a parish churchyard has reminded me that as a past Chairman of the Parish council I have a right to free interrment in the local churchyard. I don't think I shall take it up though as the parish concerned is now 300 miles away, and the transport cost would be prohibitive. Though there is a "standard concession to staff" entitling former railway workers to a reduced rate for the transport of their body for burial, free if killed on duty!, I shan't take this up either as I wouldn't want to risk being late for my own funeral!
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline Nick29

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 21 August 11 13:47 BST (UK) »
I suppose you could consider staggering over there, should you find yourself feeling unwell ?   ;D
RIP 1949-10th January 2013

Best Wishes,  Nick.

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 21 August 11 16:27 BST (UK) »
Might get a freebie if I collapsed en route ;D