Author Topic: Seacombe Foxall  (Read 6135 times)

Offline Woody32

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Seacombe Foxall
« Reply #18 on: Friday 22 July 11 12:28 BST (UK) »
It Looks very Likely that my Seacombe Foxall born 1831 Ireland could be the same guy in New Zealand, He disappears from England after the 1851 Census

Auckland Area Passenger Arrivals 1838-1889

Your search found 3 records

[1 of 3] 
Name FOXALL, Seacombe 
Vessel 
Notes Addresses presented to Sir George Grey consist of individual's signature and their date of arrival in colony. Usually no more information is provided, including ship or port of arrival. Some may even be New Zealand born. presented to Sir George Grey list as arriving in 1862 
Source Addresses presented to Sir George Grey, K.C.B. by the European and Maori residents in the province of Auckland on his seventy-fourth birthday, April 14th, 1886 (Microfiche) Central City Auckland Research Centre - Family History - 2 NZL - ASK AT DESK. Addresses presented to Sir George Grey p. 258

Just Wish there was more detailed records.

LANCASHIRE = Wood,Howard,,Smethurst,Foxall,Cheetham,Brookes,Grime, Horrocks,Thornley,Arstall,Shawcross,Rowland,Mclean LINCOLNSHIRE = Featherstone Johnson,Toyne,Willson,

Offline Thamesite2017

• I have turned off all email notifications
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 22 July 11 18:57 BST (UK) »
HI
there are more detailed records but not online and possibly not for free
1. the undertakers records
2. the will
3. the death certificate
4. the book reference

all of which may give details/connections that could lead to answering which S Foxall he is

Bye
Althea

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 23 July 11 13:59 BST (UK) »

It Looks very Likely that my Seacombe Foxall born 1831 Ireland could be the same guy in New Zealand, He disappears from England after the 1851 Census

Hi Woody

Can you tell us please, what the 1841 and 1851 entries, show ?       And who Seacombe is with ?

~  Lu

Offline Woody32

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 23 July 11 14:18 BST (UK) »
Hi..Seacombe and all its variations.   In later Years subsequent Spellings of other family Members are all Seacombe
1841...Living in Middleton, Manchester, England

Thomas Foxall 45 b Dublin, Ireland
Maria Foxall 40 (nee Trubee) b Ireland
Trubee Foxall 20 b Ireland
Mary Foxall 15 b Ireland
Caleb Foxall 15 b Ireland
Jonathan Foxall 14 b Ireland
Thomas Foxall 12 b Ireland
Scencome (Seacombe) Foxall 10  b Ireland
Joseph Foxall 6 b Pendleton, Manchester, England

1851 Census, Still Living in Middleton.

Thomas Foxhall 57
Maria Foxhall 51
Jonathan Foxhall 22
Thomas Foxhall 20
Sceacome Foxhall (Seacombe) 18  
occ Dyer
Joseph Foxhall 15

LANCASHIRE = Wood,Howard,,Smethurst,Foxall,Cheetham,Brookes,Grime, Horrocks,Thornley,Arstall,Shawcross,Rowland,Mclean LINCOLNSHIRE = Featherstone Johnson,Toyne,Willson,

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 23 July 11 15:13 BST (UK) »
Cheers Woody.

And the ages in 1851 are likely to be more reliable.

Incidentally, the death notice published in NZ, said earlier to show age "61", in fact looks to me like "age 64" (part of number "4" is missing a bit of ink.  ;)
So I would take his man's year of birth as being about 1833-4 ... which seems to fit pretty well with that of your chap in the UK.

And thinking some more, I wonder if Seacombe (eventually) arrived in New Zealand, by way of a gold rush ?  America / Australia.  ??
He certainly seems to have landed in NZ with "a few beans in his pocket" -- enough to secure property and set up in business.

Have you tried looking for him on passenger lists to America ?    (Sorry, not sure whether there are lists for 1850-60 to US ??)

~  Lu

Offline Woody32

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 23 July 11 15:59 BST (UK) »
Hi Lucy...There doesn't seem to be any other records apart from the New Zealand Electoral rolls.

It would be interesting to see what it says in the book by John T. Diamond.

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 23 July 11 16:53 BST (UK) »
Hi Woody

.... meant to say earlier, I wouldn't get too excited about that reference in the book.     It may only be a line or two ... or even just an electoral roll listing. 

I'll re-check library catalogues to see who holds copies (may be able to give you an email link to a kind volunteer who can check further.)

Offline Woody32

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 23 July 11 17:06 BST (UK) »
Thanks Lucy.

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 23 July 11 17:07 BST (UK) »
Need to mention also that I found the following passenger listing :

http://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz

"Hawkes Bay Herald"  - 21 April 1860

FROM the PORT OF NAPIER (vessels outward)

April 19 - for Auckland - "Rose", cutter, 25 tons, Wm. Joiner (master)

Passengers:  S. FOXALL, J. CORNBY, P & M COLLINS :

[Note:  "Rose" appears to have been operating  on the New Zealand coastal routes - found several voyages in April , transporting timber and other goods, and taking a few passengers on each trip.]

FOXALL is a rare name on NZ records.  I believe the S. FOXALL above, is Seacombe.    Just haven't found how he came to be in Napier.   ???   So in NZ by 1860.

~    Lu