Author Topic: Whitehaven Town Mission and "slums"  (Read 30204 times)

Offline Jos, Whitehaven

• I am sorry but I have turned off all notifications to my topics
  • RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Whitehaven Town Mission and "slums"
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 29 January 12 20:19 GMT (UK) »
There's an interesting old photo of West Strand showing several rows of houses on the hillside.  The entrance to Bardy Lane is on the right, White's Lane in the centre and Quay St towards the left.

Geoff, attached is a modern photograph (January 2012) showing approximately the part of the Whitehaven harbour area, Mount Pleasant & Town Mission area seen in your old photograph. You can just about make the route of the path and the steps leading down from that area (below the Duke Pit fan house) to Bardy Lane.

Offline KDH

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Friday 18 May 12 16:59 BST (UK) »
jubed- Rachel Gair born 1866 was a cousin to Tansy Gairs father David Rachel married Joseph Leathers .Rachel was a sister to my grandmother Ruth Gilhooley nee Gair( who lived in Bardy Lane ) their parents were John Gair and Mary nee Hawkins .John was a brother of william Gair deputy harbour master.

Offline jubed

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Friday 18 May 12 17:55 BST (UK) »
Hi KDH and welcome to Rootschat.  My friend's dad was Joseph Leathers who was the son of Rachel and Joseph Leathers, so you are quite closely related, think your parent and Joe Leathers jnr would be cousins. If you wish I can send you a private message once you have done a couple more posts. If you answer this it will be one less.
Best wishes Julie :D :D
Sussex-Bedwell.Perthshire, Stirlingshire-Comrie.East Yorkshire-Berry,Bostock.Cumberland,Durham-Smith,Douglas.

Offline KDH

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Friday 18 May 12 19:05 BST (UK) »
My mother Eliza was Joseph cousin Rachel lived in Rosemary lane when first married and when I was young she had a shop on prospect and her daughter Rachel lived next door 

Offline jubed

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Saturday 19 May 12 12:31 BST (UK) »
Yes that's right, my friend can remember her grandma (Rachel )having a shop. She used to visit with her dad. I think Rachel died when my friend was about 8(she's in her 60s now.) Her dad Joe was 2 weeks off his 100th birthday when he died 6 years ago. Rachel jnr was only in her 50s when she died. I met her once with my friend in Whitehaven.We have been friends since we were children when we were neighbours in Distington. Her sister still lives in the house which their dad built in the 1950s.
Sussex-Bedwell.Perthshire, Stirlingshire-Comrie.East Yorkshire-Berry,Bostock.Cumberland,Durham-Smith,Douglas.

Offline KDH

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Sunday 20 May 12 18:58 BST (UK) »
your friend I will not say her name used to come and stay with us and her auntie Frances at Bardy Lane she was born the day before me  on the 26th may 

Offline jubed

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Monday 21 May 12 08:29 BST (UK) »
Hi again, you've got the right person, she was born on the 25th. I should be able to PM you now , will try later as I have to go out.
Best wishes Julie ;D

Offline jubed

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Tuesday 22 May 12 17:19 BST (UK) »
Hi I've sent you a personal message Julie :)

Offline Paul-C

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Tuesday 28 February 23 19:47 GMT (UK) »
Geoff-E mentions Mount Pleasant and McGarrys Buidings. Here a some pics/articles that may be of interest:
https://www.pinterest.co.uk/pin/546694842241914131/ and https://www.pinterest.co.uk/pin/mount-steps-c-1900--493566440421323959/ are same photo with slightly different discriptions "Sea Port - Newhouses, Mount Pleasant Steps, Whitehaven" and "Mount Steps, circa 1900 - Whitehaven Harbour McGarry’s Buildings - West Strand"

https://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/783213 "Mount Pleasant - Steps" 2008/2009

http://www.whitehavenandwesternlakeland.co.uk/development/mount-pleasant.htm "Refurbishment of Mount Steps - August 2010 - Whitehaven's West Strand"

http://www.cultrans.com/whitehaven.html General article on the slum conditions "Living Conditions in 19th Century Whitehaven"