Author Topic: Advice on subscription sites  (Read 8857 times)

Offline geniedi

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Advice on subscription sites
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 04 August 04 16:13 BST (UK) »
I think he is too. This thread has been resurrected from mid June. :)

I have been researching for almost 4 years and have only recently let into temptation and subscribed to Ancestry, on a quarterly basis.

They have just in the last few days improved their search engine, so I let my sub run onto another quarter.

I'm not in a position to travel at the present time, but hope to in the future. It would be lovely to go to the relevant RO's and look at the records.
Also to the places they lived.

Up to now have only managed to do this on the way home from holidays, so not much time to really appreciate it.

I still have school aged children and a shift worker husband, so I am really looking forward to doing my own thing in the future.

Oh happy days to come.

Diane :) :) :)
Stevenson,Seabrook,Gravestock,Lee - Cambs. Geden and varients -  Warks. Oxf. Green- Beds and London. Foster, Little - Essex. Sheldrick - Surrey and London? Smith - Bucks. Coulling - Oxf.

Offline Floss

• RootsChat Senior
  • John Forward 1823-1903
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 05 August 04 11:32 BST (UK) »
I joined Ancestry.co.uk. for a free two week trial and was impressed with how much info I managed to find.   I spent a bit of time beforehand sorting out what I needed to find then spent as much time as possible on the site for the next two weeks.  You have to give your credit card details to obtain the free trial but can cancel at anytime before the two weeks are up, had no problem cancelling either

Fiona
Cutsforth - Hull
Blades/Donson - Lincolnshire
Forward - Hull/Lincolnshire/Polperro
Fryman - Grimsby
Seed - Dewsbury/Lincolnshire
McIlduff - Portadown/Glasgow
McIntosh - Aberdeen/Glasgow
Beattie - Angus/Aberdeen
Census Information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

madbadrob

« Reply #11 on: Thursday 05 August 04 23:44 BST (UK) »
For fear of upsetting Pam again am gonna disagree with her.  The subscription sites tend to have the information on them far quicker than  the freebies.  I myself would say Ancestry.co.uk without a doubt.  12 months ago it wasnt worth the 60 quid but now they have a hell of a lot more info and its all a click away.  PLus we are talking the original scans not transcriptions.  That said there is nothing wrong with the free ones either.  As a semi pro I use both to good advantage.  But all that said nothing beats getting into the CRO and viewing the originals :)

rob

Offline Boongie Pam

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Pa is Scottish, Ma is Welsh, Nose is Roamin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 08 August 04 10:24 BST (UK) »
For fear of upsetting Pam again am gonna disagree with her.  The subscription sites tend to have the information on them far quicker than  the freebies. 

Upset moi, nah you just agreed with me  ;)

There's a lot of luck at the moment, none of my main areas appear on any subscription sites so they aren't any use to me.  But when/if they become available then I would consider the subscription.

If http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/ became a subscription service then I'd be in like a shot.  In 1 year exactly I have spent £267 on viewed images and £130.60 on viewing searches.

Flipping 'eck I wish I hadn't worked that out....

Before subscribing just make sure the areas you are interested in are covered if more is coming in the future then maybe it is worth waiting to get the most out of your money.

Now, where is that credit card... and the scissors...

P ;D
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
~~~~~~~~~~~

Dumfrieshire: Fallen, Fallon, Carruthers, Scott, Farish, Aitchison, Green, Ryecroft, Thomson, Stewart
Midlothian: Linn/d, Aitken, Martin
North Wales: Robins(on), Hughes, Parry, Jones
Cumberland: Lowther, Young, Steward, Miller
Somerset: Palmer, Cork, Greedy, Clothier

Online intermittently!

Offline newbie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 08 August 04 11:56 BST (UK) »
Pam,
I've just discovered one of my gggrandmothers brothers was born in SCT Motherwell (think this is Scotland) from a census info, what info will I get from Scotsland people site and how much will it cost me?
Thanx
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Boongie Pam

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Pa is Scottish, Ma is Welsh, Nose is Roamin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 08 August 04 12:20 BST (UK) »
Hi Newbie,

To get started you need to buy 30 credits minimum this costs £6. 

This will let you start searching to view your search results it costs 1 credit.  Now it depends on when your entry refers to.  If it is post 1854 (statutory registration) you can pay 5 credits to see the original entry.  This gives you all the usual info plus where and when the parents married.

BUT if it is pre-1854 you get the OPR search results which will give you the same info as the IGI holds - parents names and date.

You can order a copy of the info but sometimes it won't give you more than the search result so that's a tenner for nothing.

I know they are planning to have all the OPR (and all census) online by the end of this year.

Cheers,
Pam
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
~~~~~~~~~~~

Dumfrieshire: Fallen, Fallon, Carruthers, Scott, Farish, Aitchison, Green, Ryecroft, Thomson, Stewart
Midlothian: Linn/d, Aitken, Martin
North Wales: Robins(on), Hughes, Parry, Jones
Cumberland: Lowther, Young, Steward, Miller
Somerset: Palmer, Cork, Greedy, Clothier

Online intermittently!

Offline kated

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Woman on the ground
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 08 August 04 16:19 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I am considering joining Ancestry.co.uk. I used my 2 week trial (but they never took my money from the credit card even though I didn't cancel)

I've just seen that they have the 1901 census for some counties. Does this mean I won't need to go on the pay per view archives site anymore?

Thanks

Kate
Census transcriptions Crown Copyright, www.NationalArchives.gov.uk

Prior,Blyth,Ellis:Halstead, Ramsey Essex
Blyth,Faeres,Smith:Suffolk
Ballard, Driscoll, Costen,Miller:Kent
Driscoll, Ragan: Cork
Miller: Hardwick
Hardy: Burton, Derby, Ruddington

Offline D ap D

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stuck with John Jones in Wales? Join the club!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 09 August 04 10:07 BST (UK) »
I've had so much help from various mailing lists (especially Rootschat), most of my spare cash goes on ordering certificates. However I am also a member of 2 FHS, which I think is worth while.

My major success to date was finding 3 names in my tree on genes reconnected, all from the same lister. Grudgingly I paid my subscription. It turned out to be worth it - I've found a 4th cousin who has provided me with a near enough complete tree where I previously had only blanks.

On another note, I have found 4 6th cousins from the ancestry mailing list, one of whom I will be meeting for a beer or 2 next week, as she lives in the area where we're off on our hols.

With regard to ancestry, a lister had a trial subscription and posted the password etc. onto a miling list. I only found out on the last day. Not sure how legal that is though.... But as most of my research is in areas not fully covered by ancestry, I'll wait a bit and see.
Stuck with:
William Williams of Llanllyfni
John Jones in Llanelli
Evan Evans in Caio
David Davies of Llansanffraid
Evans: Caio/Carms
Jones: CDG, DEN

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

"Nor do I think that any other nation than this of Wales, or any other tongue, whatever may hereafter come to pass, shall on the day of the great reckoning before the Most High Judge, answer for this corner of the earth": The Old Man of Pencader to Henry II

Offline Amy K

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Veteran
  • Genealogy: Chasing your own tale!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 10 August 04 10:56 BST (UK) »
I signed up to ancestry.co.uk last night. It was something I said I wouldn't do as  I thought  it was too expensive. However, I have to tell you, within 3 hours I had solved two brickwalls (admittedly not huge ones, but nonetheless they have duped me since the beginning of my research.)

Therefore I recomend it.

Amy
Information contained within Census Lookups is Crown Copyright:  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk