Author Topic: Court Circuits  (Read 831 times)

Offline welshspencer

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Court Circuits
« on: Thursday 21 July 11 18:41 BST (UK) »
Hi all

Am trying to do some research on some gallows in my Town of Llantwit Major , the local history society in there books think that it was a tale as they think because the court that was held in the town hall did not deal with murder charges then it is unlikely one was here , which i find a stupid statement as there were circuit judges that visited towns.

i have also found on old maps for my town c 1877 which shows a road called gallows way and  at a crossroads on this road the site of the gallows. have not found a map earlier than this , but the name of the road changes to Llanmaes Road about c 1889. I have also found ref A Topographical Dictionary of Wales by Samuel Lewis 1833 - The ancient gaol has been demolished only within the last fifty years ; the name of Gallows way is still retained in the road where executions usually took place, and where human skeletons have been found at various times.  and also Source: page 1005 of Tallis's Topographical Dictionary of England and Wales, published 1860.
The old town-hall is approached by two flights of steps, and contains one spacious apartment. Over the hall is a bell upon which the clock strikes, which is said to have been presented to St Illtyd by one of the popes of Rome. Here was a large building belonging to the rectorial tithes, in which were many spacious rooms; they have been occupied by the parish school-master. The jail is demolished, but the name of Gallows-way marks its situation. i found online the Brecon circuit which covered glamorgan  1735-1799 and found one entry on 9 april  1760 of a francis roper who murdered jane john  and was hanged in chains to near the murder site at Llantwit.......where it does not say it was at the gallows i assume it was..
 by lewis account the gaul was taken down around 1780..

what i am trying to do it locate any older records that will help me to identify that the gallows were being used .. and that there was a jail there

kind regards

russell

Offline cardiff

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Court Circuits
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 21 July 11 19:10 BST (UK) »
Hi
Have you tried the Glamorgan Records Office I bet they have info there
you could always e-mail them and ask their advise
just a thought
cheers cardiff :)