Author Topic: Dickson/Dixon, Wigtownshire.  (Read 3311 times)

Online cath151

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Dickson/Dixon, Wigtownshire.
« on: Thursday 21 July 11 19:25 BST (UK) »
Hi,
Very new to records in Scotland and looking for details of the Dickson (Dixon) family from Wigtown and area.
On the 1881 England census there is a Rebecca Dixon born 1835 Wigtown living in Northamptonshire.
I have her marriage details to a Robert Wilson 10 June 1859, Ayr and her parents  according to marriage entry on Scotlands People  and also Familysearch,  were Christina (Christine?) Kennedy and Francis Dickson, Stonecutter.
I m looking for details of her parents and siblings, especially birth details of Samuel Dixon born approx 1837 who was an apprentice Tailor in Kirkcowan on 1851 census.
I have information on Samuel from approx 1871 when his son William Francis was born in India but not his birth or marriage to Mary ?.
Would be very grateful for any help,
Many thanks
 Cathy
Sinnock/Sinnicks...Brighton,Greenwich.
Clements,Coles,Mc Donagh,Rock

Census InformationCrown Copyright from www.national archives.gov.uk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Dickson/Dixon, Wigtownshire.
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 21 July 11 19:58 BST (UK) »
Hi Cathy

There is this really old post here http://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.com/th/read/ENG-YORKSHIRE/2001-11/1004905583 which seems to connect with the names you have. Not sure if you have come across it before. Potentially father Francis may have married twice (given the two names for wife coming up of Christina Kennedy and a Margaret Coulter?).

Did father Francis show as alive or deceased on daughter Rebecca's 1859 marriage entry?

Monica  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online cath151

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Dickson/Dixon, Wigtownshire.
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 21 July 11 21:08 BST (UK) »
Hi Monica,
Thanks so much, no I had nt seen that post before, the details sounds really promising. have just looked at the marriage and it says Francis Dickson, stonecutter and Christine Dickson, maiden name Kennedy  Dec'd
So not sure if it meant both parents or just Christine deceased.
Will investigate the new findings, thanks again.

Best wishes
Cathy :)
Sinnock/Sinnicks...Brighton,Greenwich.
Clements,Coles,Mc Donagh,Rock

Census InformationCrown Copyright from www.national archives.gov.uk