Author Topic: Births in Colombo 1879-1897  (Read 5802 times)

Offline medge169

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Births in Colombo 1879-1897
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 02 August 11 15:11 BST (UK) »
Further thoughts

Alyth is very close to Glamis so this could explain how JA snr was able to secure the estate banking. Broughty Ferry incidentally was always the posh part of Dundee altough a few miles east.

You mention George a being an "overseer" at Arbuthnott however this would not be the term used. I think it would have a Grieve although I think factor would be today's term definition below

GRIEVE, n., v. Also †greive; †greave (Abd. 1845 P. Still Cottar’s Sunday 37), †greeve; †grive (Ork. 1795 P. Fea MS. Diary (7 Nov.)). [gri:v]     I. n. 1. The overseer on a farm, a farm-bailiff. Gen.Sc., rare in Bwk., Rxb. Also in Nhb. dial.
    *Sc. 1721 J. Kelly Proverbs 5:
    A good Grieve is better than an ill Worker.
    *Ayr. 1787 Burns Add. Beelzebub 33–34:
    Your factors, grieves, trustees, and bailies, I canna say but they do gaylies.
    *Inv. 1795 Stat. Acc.1 IV. 135:
    A grieve (or overseer) has from £4 to £7, besides his shoes. Women-servants have from 8s. to 20s. besides 3 pair of shoes.
    *Slk. 1798 R. Douglas Agric. Slk. 241:
    [They] commit the cultivation of their fields and their marketings to bailiffs, here called overseers or grieves.
    *Sc. 1814 Scott Letters (Cent. ed.) III. 460:
    My children are . . . “rinning about my grieve assures me like mad nolt.”
    *Ork. 1880 Dennison Sketch-Bk. 9:
    Paetie Linklid — that wus the grieve.
    *Sc. 1896 Stevenson Weir of Hermiston i.:
    His grieve, that had been his right hand in many a left-hand business.

Offline medge169

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 02 August 11 15:30 BST (UK) »
This a link to RBS history of banking site. George Hay was very senior prior merger with National Bank in 1959 when it became National Commercial before being taken over by RBS

http://heritagearchives.rbs.com/wiki/Commercial_Bank_of_Scotland_Ltd%2C_Edinburgh%2C_1810-1959

Offline Barrie Green

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 02 August 11 21:42 BST (UK) »
Thank you Medge, all what you have sent adds "flesh on the bones' of names and dates and I have found it all most informative.

Faith

Offline yetanothersmith

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 03 August 11 18:19 BST (UK) »
Barrie Grren or Faith:  Thanks for sending a personal message.  Unfortunately I cannot see it....it comes up as "not allowed".
I am interested where you fit in to the scheme of things, who was George the son of; was it one of the 7 children listed?
I guess you may have to send the personal message on the open board unless it is very private.  If it is, please let me know how to gain access

thanks a lot
yetanother

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 03 August 11 18:22 BST (UK) »
As I posted earlier in this thread-
New members usually need 3 posts to use PM system.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline yetanothersmith

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 03 August 11 19:20 BST (UK) »
A couple more random facts/suppositions:

Both Alf and Charlie went off abroad during the early years of the century......I think one went to Australia and one to South Africa but I cannot be sure. 

Harold and Robert would have married two sisters, but Harold's death during WW1 put paid to that.

If you wanmt to know more about Augusta Griffin, whom you have tracked down to teaching in Essex, I believe that she was born in Chester, the daughter of the owner of a salt mine in North Wales.  I am pretty sure that the marriage took place in Ceylon.

Lastly, don't expect any birth certificates;  they were not issued in Ceylon at the time.  Baptism records and family bibles hold what information there is.

cheers
yetanother

Offline Barrie Green

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 04 August 11 03:32 BST (UK) »
My fault, yetanothersmith, I thought you were able to receive my Personal Message as you showed 3 postings. Perhaps if you just acknowledge  this, and your tally goes up to 4 I'll try again as you have all that data in the Bible and I can fill in the odd gap.

Yes, Charles Owen Smith was in the Peninsular War (Boer?) then in WW1 in an Australian Ambulance Corp and if we ignore the horrific scenes he must have had to deal with in France at the time, the worst that happened to him seemed to be mumps! There are 24 pages of his War Record (with born in Colombo in) in the Australian AIF. He appeared not to marry and died in Brisbane Australia in 1960.

Alfred Cecil (Arbuthnott) Smith arrived in Australia in 1913, on a ship ex New York, was a farmer in Mackay, Queensland,  Australia, used as Next of Kin by brother Charles Owen during WW1. At some time he married Sarah Amelia Patterson, had one daughter Edna Joyce, and Alfred died in 1959, a year before Charles Owen.

A researcher at the Mackay, Queensland, Family History Society has been wonderful and has just sent me a photo of Alfred and Sarah's grave plus other details. She cannot find theri marriage in UK, Queensland or in New South Wales Australia. Nor the birth of their daughter!

So as son as I can finally PM you to swap email addresses, I am happy to pass on what I have if you would like it. I would love to know who you are descended from? Have been trying to work it out? Was it Robert Arthur?
Looking forward to hearing from you
Faith

Offline yetanothersmith

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 04 August 11 12:43 BST (UK) »
As your latest arrived at 3.30 in the morning, I am imagining that you are in Australia (unless you are an insomniac).

I would be very pleased to get a personal message, and would love to know where George fits in!

One other thing about Charlie (which always amused the rest of the family) ...... he signed the pledge!  (swearing never to touch a drop of liquor for life).  I wonder whetehr he kept that up!

Offline Barrie Green

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 04 August 11 22:51 BST (UK) »
Well done yetanothersmith - you are now a '4'!!!

I'm in New Zealand, 12 hours ahead of the UK , hence the unsociable arrival of postings!

It's 9. 45 a.m. here at the moment but will send you a PM later today and see if it all works! I've copied off my original PM to you to help me remember what I sent you!

Can't help on the alcohol problem though! Now that would have been a bit of a disaster when in control of an ambulance on the muddy fields of Flanders!!!

Faith