Author Topic: albert skeet  (Read 7164 times)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: albert skeet
« Reply #9 on: Monday 15 August 11 00:35 BST (UK) »
I'm looking for information on my husbands great grandfather Albert Skeet.  We believe he came from Norwich but don't know his year of birth.  He was in the royal garrison artillery and stationed in Londonderry Northern Ireland where he married Eliza Anne Stewart in1906.  In the 1911 census for Londonderry they are living in Ebrington barracks Londonderry and her age is given as 28 although no age is given for him but expect he may be a bit older so maybe born during the 1870's.  The reason we know so little and are so interested is that Albert was already married in 1906 and was later removed from service having committed bigamy.  We expect his previous marriage took place in England and would be interested in any information about his life prior to coming to londonderry.
Written on the household return form is a note that Albert Skeet was listed in the Barracks return- this is why his details aren't filled out on the household form. Age 31 and born England. See here and here
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 15 August 11 00:47 BST (UK) »
Hello  :)

did Albert give a father's name on his marriage certificate?

heywood
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Thursdayschild

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 15 August 11 15:16 BST (UK) »
Hi again Joan,

I just wondered where you got this info from:

"In 1851 there were also a Robert Skeet (Skeel) b c 1786 in Walsingham & Martha Skeet b c 1784 Walham Waytts, Norfolk, England.  These could well be the parents as James & Mary Ann had eldest son 'Robert R Skeet'."

...because I can't find Walham Waytts or any similarly spelled place on google maps. I think there's a good chance that these are the parents of James Skeet, so I'd like to find out more if possible.
Many thanks  :)
Northumberland: Thirlwell, Burns, Hogg, Collingwood, Rawlings
Norfolk: Skeet, Barnes, Ram
Bedfordshire/Huntingdonshire: Cooper

Offline jkgla

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 15 August 11 21:10 BST (UK) »
Hi!

Looking carefully at the entry, I think it is probably Warham All Saints
Rather amazingly, familysearch.org have scanned all the Norfolk parishes and made them freely available; I have found a Martha dau Ann Ram (widow) baptised at Warham All Saints 12 Oct 1783.  The register is quite a mess and you have to search through all the pages to find the year you are looking for

I attach 2 copies of the census, one the complete entry and the other a close-up of the parish.

Happy hunting!

Joan

Census image removed.

Offline Thursdayschild

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 16 August 11 10:31 BST (UK) »
Wow, Joan, that's great detective work finding and deciphering the originals!! I wouldn't have been able to read a single word on that document - perhaps just the name Skeet.
Thanks so much, you've really helped me plus now I realise what you can access if you sign up to Ancestry properly. I have been looking through the Norfolk parish scans (supplied by LDS) which you directed me to - they're excellent. I hadn't got back as far as 1783 yet though, and have only looked in Wells so far.
Thanks again!
 :)
Northumberland: Thirlwell, Burns, Hogg, Collingwood, Rawlings
Norfolk: Skeet, Barnes, Ram
Bedfordshire/Huntingdonshire: Cooper