Author Topic: Right of Burial  (Read 8819 times)

Offline davierj

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gwell Angau na Chywilydd - Mametz Wood 1916
    • View Profile
Right of Burial
« on: Friday 22 July 11 18:10 BST (UK) »
I have a Grant of Exclusive Right of Burial taken out by my great grandfather, William Jenkins, on 14 January 1887.   It is shown as an attachment (I hope).   The document is printed on vellum and was issued by the Burial Board for the Parish of Aberystwyth.   It details the grave and in the bottom right hand corner is an orange sixpenny stamp.   In the left hand corner is a black wax seal with the imprint of the Prince of Wales feathers and the words 'The Burial Board for the Parish of Aberystwyth'.   It is signed by 3 board members and the Clerk to the board.

The first occupant was William's daughter, Sarah Elizabeth Jenkins, age 10, and according to cemetery records she was buried 21 September 1886, yes 1886.   She was followed by her 15 month old brother on 18 May 1892 and a modern cremation interment.

I would like to know if such a grant was normally made retrospectively and if such a grant of burial lasts for a specific period or is permanent.

Dave
Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk   Research:   Clements, Jenkins, Jones, Williams, Davies, Renfrey in Cardiganshire.   Trow, Jones, Clayton in Montgomeryshire.  Renfrey, Datsun, May, Stephens in Cornwall.   Foster in Liverpoo.l   Milliner, Fry, in Gloucestershire.  Mawby, Popple in Rutland.   Kent, Fry, Robinson, Nott, Griffiths in Somerset.   Willis in Oxfordshire.   Fishlock, Snell, Fry, in Wiltshire

Offline Erincyprus

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Right of Burial
« Reply #1 on: Friday 22 July 11 18:47 BST (UK) »
Not sure time frame where you are.

In Northern Ireland Council Cemeteries Rite of Burial are 999 years.  RC Cemeteries all over Ireland were 99 Years and in Nothern Ireland that has now been reduced in Belfast to 75 years.

Erin

Offline davierj

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 22 July 11 19:50 BST (UK) »
Thanks Erin, I have only seen this one example of a 19th century right of burial.   In the modern day, for example in Wiltshire, I believe the lease (for want of a better word) on a burial plot only lasts 45 years.   It still does seem unusual that the grant was taken out after the burial.

Dave
Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk   Research:   Clements, Jenkins, Jones, Williams, Davies, Renfrey in Cardiganshire.   Trow, Jones, Clayton in Montgomeryshire.  Renfrey, Datsun, May, Stephens in Cornwall.   Foster in Liverpoo.l   Milliner, Fry, in Gloucestershire.  Mawby, Popple in Rutland.   Kent, Fry, Robinson, Nott, Griffiths in Somerset.   Willis in Oxfordshire.   Fishlock, Snell, Fry, in Wiltshire

Offline Erincyprus

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 24 July 11 23:55 BST (UK) »
There is Burial Rite Legislation that Governs in the UK  Dave except RC Cemeteries they have almost no legislation due to being privatly owned by the RC Church.  They can make the rules up as they go along as we in Ireland found to our cost recently.

Erin

Offline davierj

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 25 July 11 12:11 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the reply, Erin, the Grant of Burial in my possession is for a municipal cemetery so would therefore presumably come under the general legislation.   I'll trawl the internet to see if there is any reference to it.

Dave

Offline Marmalady

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 25 July 11 13:33 BST (UK) »
I have a similar certificate from a cemetary in Birmingham from my great-grandparents burials during & just after WW1
It says there is room for 3 burials - so in theory, theres space for another one if any family member was still in the area

Didnt realise such "exclusive rights" only lasted a certain length of time
Wainwright - Yorkshire
Whitney - Herefordshire
Watson -  Northamptonshire
Trant - Yorkshire
Helps - all
Needham - Derbyshire
Waterhouse - Derbyshire
Northing - all

Offline davierj

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 25 July 11 21:11 BST (UK) »
I've now looked at the Ceredigion Council web site and apparently the Right of Burial there lasts 100 years but if there's room, relatives could possibly be buried there outside that time upon proof of relationship and, of course, for a fee.   Hope not to take them up on it for a long time to come, but it seems worthwhile for further investigation.

Dave

Offline Erincyprus

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 01 August 11 01:22 BST (UK) »
Council Cemeteries in Belfast Nothern Ireland have a Lease of 999 years.  Four Burials Maiximum in the Grave.

FYI,

Dipping a Grave with a pole to check if there is room is common practice for a charge of Course.  But according to Archaeologists I work with the pole will just go through any remains that are in the Grave.

The Correct method is to have the Grave hand Dug until reaching the last Burial.  Hence in other Cemeteries Graves have as many as 10-15 Burials as Archaeologist have found in the past. 

Just a little bit of Info.

Erin

Offline davierj

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 01 August 11 16:35 BST (UK) »
Seems that rules vary with time and location.   I found a link to Aberystwyth Cemetery (and 3 others in Ceredigion see my post in Cardiganshire) and some graves there had 4 burials.   As far as assessing room in a grave, many years ago I talked with the local gravedigger (Aberystwyth) and he said he pushed a rod down until he heard a squeal  ;)

Dave