Author Topic: Right of Burial  (Read 8813 times)

Offline davierj

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gwell Angau na Chywilydd - Mametz Wood 1916
    • View Profile
Re: Right of Burial
« Reply #27 on: Monday 08 August 11 12:12 BST (UK) »
Zivania seems to be the Cypriot equivalent of Spanish Orujo, Italian Grappa and French Marc.   The sweet fortified wine I meant was, I think, something to do with Queen Berengaria, wife of Richard I.   She was the only Queen of England never to set foot on English soil.

Dave
Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk   Research:   Clements, Jenkins, Jones, Williams, Davies, Renfrey in Cardiganshire.   Trow, Jones, Clayton in Montgomeryshire.  Renfrey, Datsun, May, Stephens in Cornwall.   Foster in Liverpoo.l   Milliner, Fry, in Gloucestershire.  Mawby, Popple in Rutland.   Kent, Fry, Robinson, Nott, Griffiths in Somerset.   Willis in Oxfordshire.   Fishlock, Snell, Fry, in Wiltshire

Offline Erincyprus

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 08 August 11 19:12 BST (UK) »
There are many stories of Richard in Cyprus but the best one was Dave.

When he arrived needing wood for repairs to his ship while on a Crusade.  This was refused because the Locals did not want to cut down their beloved trees..  So  he just upped and took the Island just to get the Trees and was so pissed off he then nicked the Queen....lol..lol 

Later to just give it away because he was still so pissed off...lol

Commendaria is the Sweet Wine you refer to Dave.

Erin

Offline davierj

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gwell Angau na Chywilydd - Mametz Wood 1916
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 08 August 11 20:31 BST (UK) »
That's the one - used to buy it in 5 litre glass, later plastic, containers.   I'd heard the wood cutting story but thought Berengeria followed him to Cyprus and they were married in Limassol.   Some stories say the marriage was never consummated and various reasons are given for that  ::)  I love a bit of history, Dave
Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk   Research:   Clements, Jenkins, Jones, Williams, Davies, Renfrey in Cardiganshire.   Trow, Jones, Clayton in Montgomeryshire.  Renfrey, Datsun, May, Stephens in Cornwall.   Foster in Liverpoo.l   Milliner, Fry, in Gloucestershire.  Mawby, Popple in Rutland.   Kent, Fry, Robinson, Nott, Griffiths in Somerset.   Willis in Oxfordshire.   Fishlock, Snell, Fry, in Wiltshire

Offline Erincyprus

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 15 August 11 19:23 BST (UK) »
Cyprus Dave is full of History and it's people are a European Mix.  The Island has been conquered/ Given away/ Sold/ you name it and Cyprus has done it.

St. Pauls Pillar in Pafos where he was scurged...

The Church of St. Lazerus who became the first Bishop of Larnaca and is buried there...

The Tomb's of the Kings of Greece...

The Mosaics in Pafos...

Too Many to mention aside from The Sea Battle of Richard the Lionheart off the coast of Famagusta..

Erin