Author Topic: Barham nr canterbury, parish registers  (Read 912 times)

Offline Teek10

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Barham nr canterbury, parish registers
« on: Saturday 23 July 11 10:25 BST (UK) »
We have a relative,John Binns, who served in the shropshire 53rd regiment in india from 1805. He joined the reg. in 1804  in Halifax west yorkshire and marched with them down to portsmouth via various places ,including Canterbury. They sailed for India in 1805 and he took his wife Mary with him. However ,I have been unable to find any record of their marriage. I have now found out that there was only one record of a soldier of the 53rd getting married in 1804 and I was wondering if that might be him. Would it be possible for someone to check the Barham Parish records for me.The marriage,according to the website I found the info on ,was in Sept. 1804 in Barham.
Thanks
   Trevor

Offline bcrick

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Barham nr canterbury, parish registers
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 23 July 11 15:05 BST (UK) »
No I am afraid the marriage you found is for private William Taylor of the 53rd Reg. to Jane Erwin 29 September 1804. So you may have to look where he came from as he may already have been web before he moved south.
Hope this helps.
bcrick, Canada
Durham:SIMPSON
Northumberland:RICHARDSON,FORSTER,LUMSDON
Yorkshire:LANE,HAMMOND,SCAIFE,SNOWBALL,AGAR
Norfolk:HAMMOND,BETTS,BRINGLOE
Nottinghamshire:FRIEND, EDWARDS
Kent:FRIEND,PATTISON,MANNERING, MARKS, CLAYSON, SOLES

Offline Teek10

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 23 July 11 16:31 BST (UK) »
Ok thanks very much for looking though.John was born in Halifax but no record of marriage there.
Trevor

Offline casalguidi

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 23 July 11 17:46 BST (UK) »
There are a number of marriages of a John BINNS to a Mary in Yorkshire about that time though http://www.familysearch.org ???

Do you happen to know when and where all known children were born and/or where they returned to in the UK (if they did of course) ???

Casalguidi :)
Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Teek10

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 23 July 11 18:31 BST (UK) »
They had 3 children in India. Robert born 1808, Ellen 1811  died 1811 and John 1812.They had returned to halifax by 1818 because they had another child then ,but dont know which year they got back. This mans a real mystery. Checked all the marriages around halifax area. He had to have been married before april 1805 because thats when they sailed to India. The Binns family used Elland st Marys church in Elland Halifax and the marriages i found there.the dates are wrong,they are too late. Could have married elsewhere but cant prove it.Need to know his wifes maiden name. Got baptism certs. from India office and that turned up another mystery. On one of certs. johns wife is down as Catherine.Tried to get army records,but looks like i will have to visit Kew to have a look myself.Maybe they didnt bother getting married.
Thanks for looking anyway.
regards 
Trevor