Author Topic: 'Brizer' first name - suggestions?  (Read 7464 times)

Offline radbrize

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 'Brizer' first name - suggestions?
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 22 March 12 17:21 GMT (UK) »
Charlotte Brown Arnold (Brizer) was born 1850 Biggleswade, christened June 30, 1850 Dunton, Bedfordshire.  Charlotte died June 28, 1937 and was buried in Saint Mary's churchyard in Ashwell, Hertfordshire. 

Daughter of George Arnold and Mary Rook who married May 10, 1850 Dunton, Bedfordshire.
Charlotte had siblings:
Tamar christened April 4 1852 Biggleswade
George  June b 4 1854 christned July 1858 in Biggleswade ?
Lucy July 6 1856 Biggleswade
Phebe christened Feb 12 1860 Dunton
John  christened  Dec 29 1861 Dunton
Eliza Ann christened Feb 21 1864 died June 5, 1864 Dunton
David Arnold christened April 26, 1866 Dunton

Charlotte married Samuel Radford (born 1849 Biggleswade).  Married January 29, 1871 in Biggleswade. Samuel Radford was the son of  unmarried Eliza Radford who was the daughter of Henry Radford and Sarah Prentice (Henry Radford was the son of Henry Radford and Mary Thody).  Charlotte and Samuel had children: Charles Albert, Juince (Minnie) Louisa,Nellie Augusta, Frederick John and Hubert Robert.

Offline LDW

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 24 March 12 15:04 GMT (UK) »
Wow - well done. Looks like you've got a full house.

Now we know that Charlotte's middle name was 'Brown' that might just possibly have given rise to the 'Brizer' monniker.

Maybe an older sibling mispronounced her name? Nearly all my family have got daft family nicknames created in this way.

Sorry I can't help more on the ARNOLDs or RADFORDs - but it looks like you're doing jolly well without any help anyway!
Wedd, Cotter, Nash, Hays, Stockbridge (Cambs/Herts), Pine (Kent), Chaplin (Cambs/Herts)
Frost (Cornwall), Carr.

Offline bykerlads

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 24 March 12 17:56 GMT (UK) »
It's amazing how names get mangled either by the enumerator's copying or by the later transcribers-
I have Briggs was rendered as Prida and Hill which became Heck.
Also, McDonough in 19thC Newcastle seems to have often been written as MacDonald especially on death certs. presumably the informant had a strong irish accent and the registrar mis-heard her, she being illiterate couldnot spot the error.

Offline radbrize

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 03 April 12 20:13 BST (UK) »
Just wanted to say thanks again LDW!  I am coming along nicely with the search now.  I am on to another branch and making headway there.

Thanks for the recipe

Offline LDW

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 04 April 12 09:57 BST (UK) »
Is your tree on the net somewhere, Radbrize?

If yes, I would like to link to it. If no, then I do recommend you publish it somewhere/somehow.

I have mine on TribalPages and on Genes Reunited, but there are many alternatives, and it's been really useful in getting contributions from other researchers.
Wedd, Cotter, Nash, Hays, Stockbridge (Cambs/Herts), Pine (Kent), Chaplin (Cambs/Herts)
Frost (Cornwall), Carr.

Offline radbrize

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 04 April 12 13:47 BST (UK) »
I would like to post my family tree.  What site do you like the best?  Most of my family would be in England still.  There are very few family members in Canada.  There is a big branch in the US.

What sites do British people access most?

Thanks.

Offline LDW

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 04 April 12 16:54 BST (UK) »
Me, I like TribalPages best. But I am sure others will have their views.

You probably need to compare what is on offer; most sites will do a certain amount for free and charge you for any extras.

I think one should beware of the sites that charge you automatically at renewal time without asking first.

I don't think it matters much where the site is based: I think TribalPages is based in the States, but on the net it doesn't much matter.
Frost (Cornwall), Carr.