Author Topic: help with place names in wigtownshire  (Read 11180 times)

Offline lakay

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
help with place names in wigtownshire
« on: Saturday 23 July 11 13:08 BST (UK) »
Can anyone help with place names found on Scottish censuses. Elizabeth Reid (nee Bone) born 1828. On the 1881 census she is living at Barony Lanark gives her birth place as Gharchay Wigtonshire - 1891 Pearlmark Wigtonshire - 1901 Garche Wigton. In 1891 and 1901 she's living in Johnstone Renfrewshire. I have found on the IGI birth and christening records that she was born Old Luce Wigtownshire. A sister was also shown to be born at Old Luce. She can't have been born in 4 different places so I'm interested to know if Gharchay, Pearlmark, Garche are or were once villages in Wigtonshire or what anyone can make of it please.

COMPLETED

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: help with place names in wigtownshire
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 23 July 11 17:11 BST (UK) »
If you 'google' National Library of Scotland maps, you will find their site which allows you look at old, large-scale Ordnance Survey maps of Scotland. That might help. It is not unusual for people to give different places of birth in successive censuses. Sometimes they did not know exactly where they were born, sometimes they had moved as a child and did not realise they were not born where they were brought up.

Graham.

Offline Seoras

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • GG gf Robert. Born Ireland 1865. Died USA 1941.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 23 July 11 17:40 BST (UK) »
Hi Lakay,Old Luce was a parish,am emailing you a map of Victorian Wigtownshire split into parishes,hope it helps.I wonder if garche and Gharchay might be two different spellings of the same place.

George.
SCOTLAND: Wardlaw Steen/Stein Tweedie McBride McEwan Pate/Peat Brown Somerville Bishop Farier/Ferrier Wood  Torrance Gibb Ross Dunlop Downs Richardson Ramsey Story Snaddon/Sneddon Auld Allan McLean McInnes Mason Law Lawson Kerr Cockburn Christie Ballingall Wardrope Weir Wallace Scott.
IRELAND: Welsh Clifford Lee Allingham Keane Dale Robinson Greer McVey Bingham Skelton Carson Broomfield Clark McEwan/McKeown McCreary McLaughlan.
YORKSHIRE: Cudworth Smith Cope Coulton Hainsworth

Offline Seoras

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 23 July 11 17:57 BST (UK) »
The only place I can see might resemble it is Carscreugh.Info and place names in Old Luce here.

www.genuki.org.uk/big/sct/WIG/OldLuce/ -
SCOTLAND: Wardlaw Steen/Stein Tweedie McBride McEwan Pate/Peat Brown Somerville Bishop Farier/Ferrier Wood  Torrance Gibb Ross Dunlop Downs Richardson Ramsey Story Snaddon/Sneddon Auld Allan McLean McInnes Mason Law Lawson Kerr Cockburn Christie Ballingall Wardrope Weir Wallace Scott.
IRELAND: Welsh Clifford Lee Allingham Keane Dale Robinson Greer McVey Bingham Skelton Carson Broomfield Clark McEwan/McKeown McCreary McLaughlan.

Offline lakay

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 23 July 11 18:46 BST (UK) »
Hi Seoras Yes I thought the same about Gharchay and Garche. Thanks for the map.

Offline Allan the Jambo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 25 July 11 20:30 BST (UK) »
Hi Lakay

The rocks of the Garchay are approx 6 miles from Glenluce,
which would be in the parish of old luce. on the a747
towards Portwilliam.
I assume there may have been a farm there at one time.
Will try and find out for you, but would rule out Carscreugh
as it in opposite direction.

Allan

Offline Seoras

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 25 July 11 20:59 BST (UK) »
What exactly is the Garchay Allan.

Offline lakay

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 26 July 11 07:41 BST (UK) »
Hi Allan, Thanks for that information. It would be great if you were able to find out a bit more about it, as I haven't been able to find anything relating to Garchay or any of the other ways it's been spelt. But as least it's good to know that there might have been such a name once, even if it was just a farm or a cottage name. I'm a bit like Seoras in asking what are 'the rocks of the Garchay'.  Were they rocks on the land or in the ocean?
Lakay

Offline lakay

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 26 July 11 07:51 BST (UK) »
Hi Allan Well that was a bit stupid to ask if the rocks were in the ocean - when you've said there was probably a farm there a one time, obviously they're on the land. But would still like to know exactly what they are (except for rocks of course)   :)
Lakay.