Author Topic: MUNDAY MANN Brick Wall  (Read 2059 times)

Offline David Mann

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
MUNDAY MANN Brick Wall
« on: Monday 02 May 05 08:26 BST (UK) »
Seeing another topic called "MUNDAY MYSTERY" prompts me to ask if anyone can help me with my MUNDAY brick wall.  My 4th great grandmother appears to have been Grace (nee MUNDAY), the wife of John MANN.  Grace was  born about 1765 in Somerset but living with her daughter ANN at Etloe, Glos in 1851.  Grace was the mother of at least 10 children including Christiana MANN who married Henry MANN, possibly a cousin, in 1838 at St Mary de Crypt, Gloucester.  I had assumed that the MUNDAYs were not a Glos. family but now it seems that there were at least some MUNDAYs in the county.  Can anyone shed any light on the family from those times?
Best regards
Hopeful David

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: MUNDAY MANN Brick Wall
« Reply #1 on: Monday 02 May 05 09:59 BST (UK) »
MUNDY is certainly a well-known name in Wotton under Edge.

In 1861 there were 78 in the county, mostly centred on Berkeley and Wotton areas.  Christiana and her husband were born in Blakeney, living in Awre in 1861.

On a more mundane note, the playing fields in Thornbury are named the Munday Playing Fields!  Now I am wondering why!!

Is there anything in particular you would like looked up?

kind regards, Arranroots  ;)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline David Mann

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: MUNDAY MANN Brick Wall
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 03 May 05 00:06 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the info and for the offer of look-ups.  I have the 51 census and can access the later ones on ancestry.com.  How can I get back earlier and find Grace MUNDAYs line; I have found nothing relevent on the IGI.   It's interesting to hear about Thornbury  and somewhat frustrating because although I now live in Australia I did live in Bristol for about 15 years but that was before I started to trace my family - if only I had been interested in those days when I lived so near to the source.
Thanks again
David