Author Topic: Joseph Wilson jail sentence  (Read 1093 times)

Offline zoenel

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Joseph Wilson jail sentence
« on: Saturday 23 July 11 19:18 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone,my great grandfather is Joeph Wilson and during my family history research.Ive just discoiered through his army records on ancestry that he sevred time in prison. I was wondering if anyone could help me by telling me which jail he is a likley to have served time at and how long for. His birth was 1878 in whitwell ,derbyshire. he lived in worksop by the time of the war and the rest of his life.He married a Clara Elizabeth Webster in May 21st 1907 in Sheffield. His address was 39 baird street. in 1907.and hes on the 1911 cencus in Rotheram district spelt JS Wilson.In 1891 hes living in whitwick, derbyshire.In 1881 cencus hes living with his parents in Whitwell with his Emma and George wilson.Thanks

Offline dragongirl

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Joseph Wilson jail sentence
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 23 July 11 19:30 BST (UK) »
Hi Zoenel,
 If it was an offence in the Army he could have been imprisoned
for  disobedience, fighting,  being late on duty or simalar and  punishment  could be for a few days or longer for graver
offences. It should tell you on his Army records if you have then
especially if the charges resulted in him being Discharged from his unit.

Offline zoenel

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 23 July 11 19:40 BST (UK) »
thanks ,I think it may have been before his army service because the question is on army serice questionnaire. it says have you ever been sentenced to penal serviertude or improsenment by the civil power? answer yes assault. date of form 3rd sept 1914.any ideas?

Offline dragongirl

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 23 July 11 20:22 BST (UK) »
Hi Zoe
 first three I looked at had criminal  records !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I for desertion. another absconded after 2 days and  1 for assault
Do you know which regiment he was in and /or his number /or age   So far each Joseph Wilson was in trouble very early on
A bit more info will narrow it the records go by date of birth but they`re not always correct
 Regards

Offline zoenel

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 23 July 11 21:13 BST (UK) »
thanks 1878 birth whitwell.his regiment was the sherwood foresters.35 years old on sept 1914 occupation collier.  it says army reserve special reserversts one years service at top of page and  anumber 6549.next to his name but it doesnt have a regiment number i can see sorry.signed at worksop

Offline dragongirl

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 24 July 11 14:19 BST (UK) »
hi Zoenel. Have found the records of Joseph Wilson

He originally signed up on 3 Sept 1914 ,joined his unit
Royal Sherwood Foresters ,Nottingham & Yorkshire Reg on 13th of September 1914 however on the 7th Nov 1914 he was discharged as "medically unfit not likely to be an efficent
soldier. He was credited as 66 days length of service.
It was this one he signed that he had been imprisoned for Assault. obviously a Civil matter so records would be with the Police,
 The last records were for 1years short term call up to his old
regiment which he must have completed because marriage details ie  details of wife  any children  if so  children dates of birth etc were noted plus next of kin this were given as
his wife Clara(nee Fisher ) and his brother George.
 I guess they`d ignored this assault charge on the original sheet
 but ofcourse it would have been asked again  on the short term service sheet- at least he was honest about it.
can`t see the medical report among the first pages but must have had good reason to discharge him in such a short time.
 I don`t know if you could trace this Assault charge with the Civil police I would think unlikely unless a really serious Assault.
sorry couldn`t be more help.

Offline zoenel

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 24 July 11 15:16 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that information,very intresting