Author Topic: Inverness (?) Public Baths  (Read 5519 times)

Offline jane k

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Inverness (?) Public Baths
« on: Saturday 23 July 11 20:26 BST (UK) »
This isn`t really a Rootschat question but I can`t think who else to ask!  I`m just watching a programme about the history of the bathroom & was reminded of the the best bath I ever had, which was in a huge bath in  some Public Baths in or near Inverness during a rather basic camping holiday in about 1976. I think they were attached to a swimming pool.   I`ve tried googling them but without success so I assume they don`t exist anymore but I`d love to know more about them & what happened to them.

Many thanks

Jane

Offline IMBER

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Inverness (?) Public Baths
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 24 July 11 09:38 BST (UK) »
I can't add much except to say that much to the dismay of older residents the baths were demolished some years ago.
Skewis (Wales and Scotland), Ayers (Maidenhead, Berkshire), Hildreth (Berkshire)

Offline heilanlassie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 24 July 11 13:09 BST (UK) »
I remember going to the public baths in Inverness as a little girl.

My family lived in a flat above the Haugh Bar which only had a downstairs toilet.
Researching the names Mckenzie / Mackenzie from Ross and Cromarty especially Scoraig and Rherivach.

The names Fraser, MacGillivary and Grant from Daviot & Dunlichity.

The name of Fraser from Lanarkshire.

The name of Bell from Northumberland.

The name Chilla / Chylla / Chyla from Poland.

Offline Chortlegirl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 24 July 11 18:58 BST (UK) »
Hi Jane

The public baths were in Glebe Street, Inverness, next to the riverside. On Google Maps Streetview there's just a pile of rubble where they used to be (not sure if anything else has been built on the site yet).

As far as I remember the baths were just past the entrance hall/pay kiosk and beyond the baths and up a flight of steps was the swimming pool.

Ah, you've brought back memories of being taught to swim by Mr Dyce (he was there for so long I think he taught most of Inverness to swim!).
Lynn
Gunn, Grant, McAskill, McKenzie, McIver, McLeod (Gairloch, ROC, Scotland)
Ross, McLeod, Campbell, Graham, Gair, Bain, McCulloch (Nigg & Fearn, ROC, Scotland)
Thomson, Matheson, Paterson, Gray, Munro, Fowler, McDonald, Murray, Hossack, McKenzie (Resolis, ROC, Scotland)
McTavish, Fraser, McLellan(?) (Dores, INV, Scotland)

Offline jane k

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 24 July 11 21:53 BST (UK) »
Hello Everyone
Thanks so much for your help - what a shame they have gone.  I have a vague memory of the changing rooms opening directly onto the swimming pool - perhaps just the Men`s.  Is that right?

Jane

Offline Chortlegirl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 25 July 11 17:13 BST (UK) »
Hi Jane

The changing cubicles (which were just about big enough for one!) did open on to the pool. As you entered, with the pool directly in front of you, there were cubicles all along the left hand side (for ladies) and along the right hand side for gents. The cubicles were made of dark wood with "saloon-style" doors.

But woe betide anyone who tried to get straight into the pool without first using the footbaths at the shallow end!

I found a pic on Am Baile, but it only shows the front of the building:

http://www.ambaile.org.uk/en/item/item_photograph.jsp?item_id=3329

I can almost smell the chlorine again!
Lynn
Gunn, Grant, McAskill, McKenzie, McIver, McLeod (Gairloch, ROC, Scotland)
Ross, McLeod, Campbell, Graham, Gair, Bain, McCulloch (Nigg & Fearn, ROC, Scotland)
Thomson, Matheson, Paterson, Gray, Munro, Fowler, McDonald, Murray, Hossack, McKenzie (Resolis, ROC, Scotland)
McTavish, Fraser, McLellan(?) (Dores, INV, Scotland)

Offline jane k

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 25 July 11 20:11 BST (UK) »
Thanks so much Lynn - I thought I remembered the `saloon style` doors but that seemed so unlikely I decided I must have imagined them!

Happy Days!  I was on a raspberry picking working holiday when I visited - the camp site only had a very basic shower so the Baths were absolute bliss!

Jane

Offline Big-toshie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 04 August 11 15:56 BST (UK) »
Ah The Baths in Inverness. First swimming lesson, sunk to bottom and instructor had to jump in and get me out. Still can't swim!

As you went out - vending machine where you could get chicken soup!

Bob
MacKintosh, MacIntosh, McIntosh, MacLean, Campbell, Clunas, Winchester, McLennan, McVittie, Fairlee, Queen, Oliver, Longstaff, Broderick, Hardy, Jones, Dart, Hext