Author Topic: Handwriting help please - completed with thanks  (Read 2530 times)

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
Re: Handwriting help please
« Reply #9 on: Monday 25 July 11 17:43 BST (UK) »
Sounds as though he was in and discharged from the army at Kilmainham hospital Dublin. The records are available at the National Archive, however I found the referencing difficult shall we say?
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline lotteex

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 26 July 11 08:49 BST (UK) »
Sounds as though he was in and discharged from the army at Kilmainham hospital Dublin. The records are available at the National Archive, however I found the referencing difficult shall we say?

Hi

When you say the records are at the NA, do you mean you found records relating to his actual discharge from this hospital? I found discharge papers with details of his pension and length of service etc but no details about the hospital or his actual injuries. Are there more records to find relating to Kilmainhan hosp? I'm afraid my knowledge of military history especially of that era is none existant so wouldn't know why he was would be in Dublin as opposed to anywhere else in Ireland.

Regards
Lottee

Mason - Yorkshire
Manger -Tynemouth/Hull
Turner - Cottingham
Franklin - Cottingham
Lawrence - London
Bailey - Northumberland
Butler - Hampshire/Channel Isles
Harms - Hampshire/London/India/Northumberland
Timson - Ware, Hertfordshire
Wild & Nield - Lancashire
Row(e) - Buckinghamshire
Manders - Buckinghamshire
Wilkins - Herts
Lamberts - Herts
Crowe -Northern Ireland

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 26 July 11 18:03 BST (UK) »
I have those records for my own ancestor, on the rear is given the reason for his discharge, in my relative's case asthma and bad eyesight (He was trumpeter so useless to the army). I know of no other Kilmainham records, but remember that up until the 1920s Ireland was part of the UK and not just Ulster, so a British soldier was as likely to be stationed there as anywhere else in Britain.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline lotteex

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 26 July 11 23:03 BST (UK) »
Hi. Many thanks for your help, will scrutinise what I have more carefully to see what else I can find.

Best wishes

Lottee
Mason - Yorkshire
Manger -Tynemouth/Hull
Turner - Cottingham
Franklin - Cottingham
Lawrence - London
Bailey - Northumberland
Butler - Hampshire/Channel Isles
Harms - Hampshire/London/India/Northumberland
Timson - Ware, Hertfordshire
Wild & Nield - Lancashire