Author Topic: Robert Archibald Moore - drowning, 1916 completed  (Read 8760 times)

Offline catnav

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Robert Archibald Moore - drowning, 1916 completed
« on: Sunday 24 July 11 21:01 BST (UK) »
I am trying to find out any information about the death of Robert Archibald Moore, who died at sea at the age of 17.  He was the son of William Henry Moore and Catherine McAleavey. I believe that he was drowned in Douglas Bay, and had been on board a schooner called "Gladys". I can find no information about the loss of such a boat, and can find no other record of his death, other than his burial in Douglas Borough Cemetery, 12th November, 1916.  I believe that his body was found on the Scottish coast, possibly Kirkudbright, and had to be identified by his tattoos. Suggestions would be gratefully received.

Catnav

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Robert Archibald Moore - drowning, 1916
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 24 July 11 21:12 BST (UK) »
If the body was found in Scotland the death should have been registered there (although the certificate may not have much in the way of personal details depending on how much the informant knew) and you can look at the scanned certificate on the website- www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline catnav

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 24 July 11 21:45 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the quick reply - I have been wrestling with the Scotlandspeople website, and not yet won.  I have searched extensively on the internet, and cannot find a ship that fits the bill, althought there is a 'nobby' of the same name that is wrecked much later.

Catnav

Offline catnav

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 24 July 11 22:10 BST (UK) »
I have successfully beaten the Scotlandspeople website into submission with my creditcard, and the death was registered in the parish of Kirkmaiden, and he is described as being lost in the wreck of the Ketch 'Gladys', off the coast of Douglas, Isle of Man.  His body was found on the 4th November 1916, on the beach at Barncorkrie Bay, Kirkmaiden, Wigtownshire.

I would like to find out any other details of the event - I'm sure that there must have been a newspaper report at the time, as he was the son of the assistant harbourmaster at Douglas, although it was during war time, and bad news was probably suppressed.

Catnav

Offline catnav

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 25 July 11 08:05 BST (UK) »
I seem to be answering my own question!  I have found this in the Isle of Man Examiner Annual Events 1916 (thanks Manx Notebook):

25th. (October) — "The ketch " Gladys," bound from Manchester to Douglas with 100 tons of coal, was wrecked at Douglas during a fierce storm. The crew of four were drowned. Three bodies were subsequently recovered."

At least I now know where to look for the full report!

Catnav

Offline Frances_mnb

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 25 July 11 17:43 BST (UK) »
From Adrian Corkill Dictionary of shipwrecks - explaining why Gladys did not arrive at Douglas
On Tuesday 24 oct 1916 left Manchester [ie via ship canal] with cargo 130tons coal passed Liverpool landing stage 10am and was passed at 1pm 10 miles off Bar by douglas-liverpool steamer - due at douglas that evening but never arrived - SE gale raging with nasty southwest swell.
The mystery was solved the next day when the wreck of the Gladys was found below the Toll Gate, Marine Drive, about 300 yards south of Douglas Head. There was no sign of the crew and all were presumed lost.
In all probability, she went ashore at 8 p.m. on 24th October, and according to seafaring men at Douglas, the captain of the Gladys, finding himself so close to shore, gybed his vessel, and in the gale and rough seas, the mainmast went overboard, leaving the vessel at the mercy of the southeast wind and she was dashed on the rocks. It was surprising that the coastguard on Douglas saw nothing of the wreck or any distress signals.
The crew of the Gladys was:
Richard Corlett, master, Oxford Street, Douglas; William Kelly, mate, Barrack Street, Douglas;Robert Moore Leigh terrace + Fred Shimmin cabin boy Athol st
any thing with a Manx Connection

Offline catnav

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 25 July 11 17:55 BST (UK) »
Thanks Frances, that is brilliant.  I have pondered putting a posting about this topic, because it is a sensitive subject.  It is really hard to imagine what the families must have gone through.  Robert Archibald's father William Henry went through a terrible time in the Dardanelles (see New Manx Worthies), and then he loses his seventeen-year-old son, and being a Lifeboatman himself, he must have wondered if he could have done anything to help.

Can't thank you enough,

Catherine.

Offline Frances_mnb

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 25 July 11 17:59 BST (UK) »
the newspapers for that period are digitised + searchable (possibly via your local large library via BL british newspapers scheme) + at the iMuseum at Douglas (there may be more here than via the BL scheme)
any thing with a Manx Connection

Offline catnav

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 25 July 11 18:59 BST (UK) »
Frances,

Thanks once again for your suggestions.  I have found a small paragraph in the 'news in brief' section of the Times (on-line), but I only have access to BL 19th Century Newspapers On-line through the library.  BL does hold film as well as copies of the Isle of Man Examiner for the right date, but to order copies of any articles I would need to know exact dates, page numbers, article title, etc for the paper.  Shelf marks, etc, I can find in the catalogue. Did I see something that said that the Manx i-museum would be on-line eventually?

Catherine.