Author Topic: I reccommend the practice of giving children the maiden name of their mother  (Read 5398 times)

Offline toni*

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: I reccommend the practice of giving children the maiden name of their mother
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 27 July 11 18:34 BST (UK) »
i have to agree it would make things a lot simpler.

i do have Annie Holman a cousin twice removed from my gt gt grandfather who married Edward Smith and she luckily gave her children the middle name of Holman so they are Holman Smiths which helped find them amongst all the other Smiths but this hasn't continued in our tree.

Holman & Vinton- Cornwall, Wojciechowskyj & Hussak- Bukowiec & Zahutyn, Bentley & Richards- Leicester, Taylor-Kent/Sussex  Punnett-Sussex,  Bear/e- Monkleigh Gazey-Warwicks

UK Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchive

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
Re: I reccommend the practice of giving children the maiden name of their mother
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 28 July 11 08:54 BST (UK) »
I know of several people named Michael Collins after the Irish patriot. However my main purpose of this post is to point out a situation which arises in Lincolnshire where there is a village called Mavis Enderby; there is at least one family who give their children this name. Somewhat embarrassing for the males I think?
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)