Author Topic: morgan and rowbotham  (Read 4145 times)

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
Re: morgan and rowbotham
« Reply #9 on: Monday 25 July 11 23:29 BST (UK) »
Hi
As both deaths have the same date and number Dec 1927 Birmingham  6d 187 and the Clara A J is 54 in both, I'd say it is the same person. I guess that by then she was calling herself Clara Morgan, but as she wasn't actually married her death was also registered under Rowbotham. I wonder if the original register would show the cross reference? If so, it might be worth contacting Birmingham Register Office, rather than the GRO.

What is strange is the Barnados claim if this is her, unless she abandoned him before her death.

Jan
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jim1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ain't life grand
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 26 July 11 00:15 BST (UK) »
I think you can forget about the concert for George V.You have to take into account that B'ham was the largest city outside of London & the largest manufacturing base in the World.The Town Hall reflected the city's status & boasted the finest & largest organ in England.If George V ever went to a concert there it would be to hear an organ recital that's what it was there for.
http://www.thsh.co.uk/page/town-hall-birmingham/the-town-hall-organ/the-birmingham-city-organists/
I agree about the deaths being the same & they should be cross referenced by the Registrar.

jim
Warks:Ashford;Cadby;Clarke;Clifford;Cooke Copage;Easthope;
Edmonds;Felton;Colledge;Lutwyche;Mander(s);May;Poole;Withers.
Staffs.Edmonds;Addison;Duffield;Webb;Fisher;Archer
Salop:Easthope,Eddowes,Hoorde,Oteley,Vernon,Talbot,De Neville.
Notts.Clarke;Redfearne;Treece.
Som.May;Perriman;Cox
India Kane;Felton;Cadby
London.Haysom.
Lancs.Gay.
Worcs.Coley;Mander;Sawyer.
Kings of Wessex & Scotland
Census information is Crown copyright,from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/

Offline mollymandysb

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 26 July 11 18:18 BST (UK) »
Hi Groom

yes, i was thinking the same thing.  my neighbour is adamant that her dad went into barnados at 14 and then joined the army at 16.  she says she was always told his mom had had a stroke.  perhaps she did have a stroke when he was 14, and as there was no one to look after him he went to barnados and then she did not die unti 1927.

yes, i will talk to the birmingham registry office and get the cert that way.

any one out there know if there are any more old photos of balsall heath about 1900/1911, in particular 205 belgrave road and 48 Brighton Road.

i printed the one of great colmore street and my neighbour was thrilled.

thanks again to everyone

steph
hooley/cheshire. vernons/cheshire. booths/cheshire
partridges/shrewsbury. evans/pontesbury, shropshire. blowers.shropshire. davies/shropshire. edwards/llay and bala. fox/shropshire

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 26 July 11 18:27 BST (UK) »
I wonder what happened to his father? Let us know what the certificate says when you get it, especially who registered the death, that might give a clue.

If you could get your neighbour's father's army records it would be interesting to see who he gave as his next of kin.

Offline jim1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ain't life grand
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 26 July 11 21:29 BST (UK) »
There are lots of old photos & books out there.I bought one for my mother & aunt a few years ago as they were brought up in Balsall Heath.

jim
Warks:Ashford;Cadby;Clarke;Clifford;Cooke Copage;Easthope;
Edmonds;Felton;Colledge;Lutwyche;Mander(s);May;Poole;Withers.
Staffs.Edmonds;Addison;Duffield;Webb;Fisher;Archer
Salop:Easthope,Eddowes,Hoorde,Oteley,Vernon,Talbot,De Neville.
Notts.Clarke;Redfearne;Treece.
Som.May;Perriman;Cox
India Kane;Felton;Cadby
London.Haysom.
Lancs.Gay.
Worcs.Coley;Mander;Sawyer.
Kings of Wessex & Scotland
Census information is Crown copyright,from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/

Offline 0121mariec

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 27 July 11 10:37 BST (UK) »
http://www.thsh.co.uk/page/town-hall-birmingham/history/town-hall-a-history-in-pictures/
Birmingham Town Hall are selling a  book which you might find interesting.
Regards Marie

Offline mollymandysb

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 27 July 11 13:35 BST (UK) »
tx for that information everyone,  yes, i will let you know what it says on the death cert and i will ask my neighbour to see what his army records says.

i am thinking of taking her into birmingham to have a look at the town hall, but she does not always feel up to it.

one thought i have, is that his mother clara rowbotham had a stroke (that is what her dad told her) but perhaps she did not die when he was fourteen but just had the stroke and was an invalid, they sent him to barnadoes and his mom actually passed away four years later.  will be interesting to see what the death certs says whether she was in hospital and who registered the death,

will let you know

steph
partridges/shrewsbury. evans/pontesbury, shropshire. blowers.shropshire. davies/shropshire. edwards/llay and bala. fox/shropshire

Offline mollymandysb

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 01 September 11 17:52 BST (UK) »
Hi just touching base with everyone on this subject.  death cert arrived, clara died november 1927, her son registered the death, and put down that she was a widow.  altho apparently the never married.   the address they put down on the cert was 6 washington street, birmingham and apparently according to electoral register for 1925 and 1927 the place was unoccupied.  her occupation was also down as a dress maker.  my neighbour and her cousin are still adamant that she was a classical concert pianist and that because she neglected her son he was taken into barnardos.  he did not go into the army until after his moms death.

will keep digging and let you all know the outcome.

molly

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 01 September 11 20:44 BST (UK) »
Hi

This still sounds like one of those family stories that have been passed down. If she was a classical pianist surely that would have gone on the certificate? It still seems odd that her son registered the death although they claim he was neglected and put into Barnardos. I dont think you'll ever solve this one as they are so adamant.

Jan