Author Topic: 1891 census name  (Read 8325 times)

Offline Mort29

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 1891 census name
« Reply #36 on: Tuesday 26 July 11 14:25 BST (UK) »
yes, that's the HEAD - but that wasn't the address in 1871, nor does the Wife / Mother have initial 'L' - being an Alice ...

Offline Annie65115

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • HOLYLAND regd with guild of one name studies
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Tuesday 26 July 11 14:37 BST (UK) »
The 1861 Robert and Alice Budd lived in Birkendale View, which is just up the hill from infirmary rd (and would have been pretty posh in those days, I htink!)

"Harry", their son age 8, was apparently born in Sheffield, which doesn't tie in with Henry Budd's given POB in later censuses -- HOWEVER Robert's POB was Liss, Hampshire - which is another co-incidence with Henry's stated county of birth, isn't it?

Don't forget that Harry is an acknowledged and still-used pet version of Henry (as per our current royals!)
Bradbury (Sedgeley, Bilston, Warrington)
Cooper (Sedgeley, Bilston)
Kilner/Kilmer (Leic, Notts)
Greenfield (Liverpool)
Holyland (Anywhere and everywhere, also Holiland Holliland Hollyland)
Pryce/Price (Welshpool, Liverpool)
Rawson (Leicester)
Upton (Desford, Leics)
Partrick (Vera and George, Leicester)
Marshall (Westmorland, Cheshire/Leicester)

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Tuesday 26 July 11 14:43 BST (UK) »

Don't forget that Harry is an acknowledged and still-used pet version of Henry (as per our current royals!)

Indeed - but this Harry BUDD was still with his parents in Sheffield in the 1871 census, whilst "our" Henry BUDD was enumerated in Army barracks at Stoke Damerel (RG10/2129/81/7).
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline Mort29

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Tuesday 26 July 11 14:43 BST (UK) »
as pointed out earlier 'Harry' was there in 1871, when WHB had already enlisted in the Army ... and his mother was Alice, which doesnt begin with an 'L'....

best not to try and make things fit really   :P

there again, Harry had a cousin Laura, also from Liss ...

beat me to it Anna ...

Offline Annie65115

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • HOLYLAND regd with guild of one name studies
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Tuesday 26 July 11 14:51 BST (UK) »
I know, I'm not trying to "make things fit" - but even if this is not Henry's family (+ it would seem not if he's enumerated with them in 1871! shame! - what is this other Harry's occupation in 1871? I can't view images at work)), there could be a family link. It's not that common a name to find 2 people of the right sort of age in the same road in the same town.

There is another Robert Budd who I saw in 1841 as a grocer's assistant in 1851 btw - pob given as Newton Abbot but living in Southampton - worth checking out.
Bradbury (Sedgeley, Bilston, Warrington)
Cooper (Sedgeley, Bilston)
Kilner/Kilmer (Leic, Notts)
Greenfield (Liverpool)
Holyland (Anywhere and everywhere, also Holiland Holliland Hollyland)
Pryce/Price (Welshpool, Liverpool)
Rawson (Leicester)
Upton (Desford, Leics)
Partrick (Vera and George, Leicester)
Marshall (Westmorland, Cheshire/Leicester)

Offline Glouc Man

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Tuesday 26 July 11 14:54 BST (UK) »
Henry BUDD's Army service record shows his next-of-kin (when he joined up in October 1870) as his mother, Mrs L BUDD of Infirmary Road, Sheffield.  The record is definitely his as it also lists his 1880 marriage to Charlotte LEGG.  His religion is given as Wesleyan, birthplace Southampton, age (in Oct 1870) 18 years __ months. Former trade or occupation: baker. 

The reason he does not appear in the English census in 1881 is that he was serving in Bermuda from 30 October 1880 to 22 November 1883.

Thanks, I do have his army papers. Everyone is going to a lot of trouble. I have actually covered a lot of this ground already. The Sheffield link is intriguing but I have never really got anywhere with it.

My pet theory is that they were perhaps nephew and niece of Robert Budd by a sister, and so not actually called Budd at all!
Benson (London), Budd (London), Tilbury (Surrey), Norman (Cambs), Tilbury (Surrey), Legg (Surrey), Darby (Devon), Martin, Attwood, Tovey, Turner, Farmer, Carroll, Lideard, Clark, Drinkwater (all Glos.)

Offline Mort29

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Tuesday 26 July 11 14:58 BST (UK) »
tis a possibilty, wouldnt be the first time I'd seen a relative used as the 'Father' on a Marriage Certificate.

Offline Glouc Man

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Tuesday 26 July 11 15:04 BST (UK) »
WHB was buried in Elstead, Surrey Cemetery 2 Jul 1891. Does anyone have access to any local newspapers that might have reported the funeral and mentioned relatives?
Benson (London), Budd (London), Tilbury (Surrey), Norman (Cambs), Tilbury (Surrey), Legg (Surrey), Darby (Devon), Martin, Attwood, Tovey, Turner, Farmer, Carroll, Lideard, Clark, Drinkwater (all Glos.)

Offline Mort29

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Tuesday 26 July 11 15:07 BST (UK) »
prob best to start a new thread for an obituary...... in the Surrey Board - others will see it, who might not visit this Deciphering Board....

I see that Robert Budd (the one in Sheffield) had two sisters in 1841 Liss, Elizabeth and Emma ...and a Martha whose married name is Moore in 1851 Southampton St Mary - and a youngest one c1844 called Laura.

Elizabeth & Laura are staying with Martha in 1851 HO107/Piece: 1669 Folio: 608 Page: 22