Author Topic: *Completed*Catholic Burials. Bradford, West Yorkshire.  (Read 6012 times)

Offline Daysy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
*Completed*Catholic Burials. Bradford, West Yorkshire.
« on: Monday 25 July 11 20:52 BST (UK) »
Hello everyone.
     Please bare with me as I am a complete newcomer and this is my very first posting.
     I have been trying to find where my G.Grandmother Candace Ross (nee Bennett) is buried. Candace was born 12.05.1875, baptised 10.01.1877 at St James' CofE Church, married 03.08.1895 at St Josephs Catholic Church and died 28.01.1943. All were in the Little Horton area.
  I have been in touch with Scholemoor Cemetery which covers all the cemeteries in the area and they have no record of her. I was told that as she adopted the Catholic faith when she married and all subsequent children were baptised Catholic,  there was a chance she was buried in a churchyard. The only Catholic churches I know of in the area at that time were St Josephs and St Annes. St Annes has since been demolished (I think) and neither had a churchyard anyway.
I have been to Bradford Central Library, they suggested getting in touch with the Diocese of Leeds, they in turn suggested St Josephs Church who suggested Scholemoor Cemetery...........Full circle completed!
     Apparantly Catholic burials were not officially registered untill as late as the 1970's!
I tried coming from the angle of her husband John William Ross, but drew a blank there also.
        As Candace only died in 1943 she must be somewhere surely.
  Is there please anyone who can suggest the next step to take as I am very close to giving up?

Offline JillJ

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Catholic Burials. Bradford, West Yorkshire.
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 26 July 11 15:04 BST (UK) »
Welcome to RootsChat Daysy!

Have you tried searching the local papers to see if there was an obituary/funeral notice which might say where the funeral was to take place?

Jill
Jowett & Broadbent in Leeds.
Perry, Hartshorn/e & Wilkes in Birmingham & Dudley. Walker and Dabill in Sheffield & Notts.
Farrar in Darlington & Leeds.
Kidd & Taylor in Hartlepool & Teesside
Census information is crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Daysy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Catholic Burials. Bradford, West Yorkshire.
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 26 July 11 17:53 BST (UK) »
Hello Jill.
   Thankyou for the welcome.
   It seems so obvious now you have mentioned it, I think I have tried just about everything else.
  I will try that. Thankyou for your reply.

Daysy

Offline rgarfield

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: *Completed*Catholic Burials. Bradford, West Yorkshire.
« Reply #3 on: Monday 20 May 13 23:41 BST (UK) »
hiya
there are catholic burials at schoolmoor but also Bowling Cemetery has a large catholic burial area; its also on the same side of the city as st annes and st joe's. bradford library has a catalogue with the burials and its easy to use. i think the archives are closed for refurb presently. are you near bradford?

Offline Calverley Lad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: *Completed*Catholic Burials. Bradford, West Yorkshire.
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 21 May 13 14:06 BST (UK) »
The Bradford Archives are (for the present) managed by the Leeds Archives at Morley.
So I was advised to still contact Bradford then records would be taken over to Morley to be viewed on a pre arranged day. (appointments are required)
 Brian
Yewdall/Yewdell/Youdall -Yorkshire