Author Topic: Kate Martyn / Martin, born circa 1839, from County Galway, but where?  (Read 2370 times)

Offline ROC

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Kate Martyn / Martin, born circa 1839, from County Galway, but where?
« on: Tuesday 26 July 11 17:47 BST (UK) »
I'm trying to work out where in County Galway my great-great grandmother, Kate [Katherine] Martyn or Martin, came from.

I have two different newspaper articles which give birth years, one states she was born in 1839, the other in 1843.

Her father's name was Thomas Martyn, and he had involvement in the Land League somewhere in County Galway.

She is described as being from a 'wealthy background'.

She died 28 Apr 1916 at her residence of The Square, Claremorris, County Mayo, Ireland.

She was married to Irish Land Leaguer and patriot PJ Gordon [b. 25 Jan 1839 in Tuam, Galway, died 10 Jun 1899 in Claremorris, Co. Mayo] and she was also very involved in politics herself.

The attached article gives some more info on Kate. 

The information I have gained on her comes from various newspaper articles but none state exactly where she came from, simply stating "Galway woman Kate Martyn"..

Is a death cert likely to tell me where she was born or who her mother was?
I got her husband PJ's death cert but his parents and birth address were not listed on it.

Her husband PJ was from Tuam but moved to Claremorris. I don't know when he moved, it is possible that he met Kate in Tuam and perhaps she was from there?

They married in Claremorris Catholic Church on 9 Feb 1863.

She possibly had a sister named Bridget Martyn in Clare.

The surname Rush is connected to her someway, Kate's children mention their relations with the surname Rush on Kate's side of the family but I'm not sure that tells me much.

I can list all of her children if necessary.

Can anyone advise me what the next step should be?

Thank you!
Researching: Herward / Hereward / Howard (Mayo, Galway, Scotland, England)   |   McGarry (Mayo, Roscommon)   |  Gordon (Mayo, Galway)   |  Martyn / Martin (Mayo, Galway)   |   O'Connor (Mayo)   |   O'Halloran (Clare, Mayo, Limerick)   |   Jennings (Mayo)   |   Meenehan (Mayo)

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Kate Martyn / Martin, born circa 1839, from County Galway, but where?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 26 July 11 17:56 BST (UK) »
Is a death cert likely to tell me where she was born or who her mother was?
I got her husband PJ's death cert but his parents and birth address were not listed on it.

I cant help with your main question, you need to know which parish Kate's family lived in to check if any records are available for the 1830s..

as to your other question - death certs do not mention parents, place of birth or date of birth. The only section of a death cert that can sometimes mention a family member is the informant.

See : Details included on a Death Cert

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline ROC

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Kate Martyn / Martin, born circa 1839, from County Galway, but where?
« Reply #2 on: Monday 12 September 11 14:48 BST (UK) »
I now have a little more info on Kate than I had when I posted this thread.

She had a sister named Bridget Martin.

Bridget married a George Rushe in Claremorris, on 13 Jan 1858, pt-Patt Conry, Mary Cantin.

I can only find one child for George and Bridget so far, which was Sara Rushe.

George is a widower in the 1901 census. He lives in his sister-in-law Kate's property in Claremorris. http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Mayo/Claremorris/The_Square/1590807/

He is living there alone in 1911. 
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Mayo/Claremorris/Claremorris/706704/

Sara may have died in 1905: https://www.familysearch.org/search/recordDetails/show?uri=https://api.familysearch.org/records/pal:/MM9.1.r/MFX6-8YW/p1

I have to order that cert to see if that is definitely her.

I have also found a Catherine Martin who was baptised in Claremorris on 8 January 1841.

Catherine of Thomas Martin and Catherine Lyon- sp -George Blackhole, Mary Lyon

So perhaps this is my Kate Martin, I can't find a baptism for her sister Bridget Martin at Claremorris but I'm still researching and hoping to find something more soon.

Perhaps the Galway references refer to Kate and Bridget's parents who may have moved from Galway to Claremorris?...

Researching: Herward / Hereward / Howard (Mayo, Galway, Scotland, England)   |   McGarry (Mayo, Roscommon)   |  Gordon (Mayo, Galway)   |  Martyn / Martin (Mayo, Galway)   |   O'Connor (Mayo)   |   O'Halloran (Clare, Mayo, Limerick)   |   Jennings (Mayo)   |   Meenehan (Mayo)