Author Topic: Apple IPad and Anc***** free Ap  (Read 2179 times)

Offline Andcarred

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Apple IPad and Anc***** free Ap
« on: Thursday 28 July 11 03:47 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I have recently purchased an IPad and downloaded the free App from Anc*****.  Little did I know that by doing this and typing in my family details on the IPad that they would automatically be entered on the main Ance**** page on the web.  I was horrified as I had entered living people not knowing that it was going to be displayed for all the world to see.  Let this be a warning to all naive people like myself. 

I have now contacted them and asked for the trees to be removed from the web, which I believe has been done.  However I now cannot delete them from the IPad.   >:( >:( >:(

Any clues as to how I may be able to do this?  Ance*** were no help as all they said was they were still working on their App and had some refining to do.

Andcarred
Allwood-Birmingham-Australia
Collins-Dublin
North-Sweden
Vincent-Dewlish, Dorset
Austen-Lydd
Dewsbury-Sutton Bonnington, Notts
Wood-Leeds/Huddersfield, Yorks
Godden-Cornwall/London
Jackett-Cornwall

Offline shleeGoo

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Apple IPad and Anc***** free Ap
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 06 December 11 07:28 GMT (UK) »
I do get emails on my iPad but my son sorted it so it is possible.my question is that I find that attachments fom an incoming email don't get sent.My daughter sent me 4 photos and only 2 came.one of these I wanted to forward and it did not go. ipad 2 accessory  ipad 2 skin  ipad 2 Sleeves

Offline RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 06 December 11 08:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I have recently purchased an IPad and downloaded the free App from Anc*****.  Little did I know that by doing this and typing in my family details on the IPad that they would automatically be entered on the main Ance**** page on the web.  I was horrified as I had entered living people not knowing that it was going to be displayed for all the world to see.  Let this be a warning to all naive people like myself. 

I have now contacted them and asked for the trees to be removed from the web, which I believe has been done.  However I now cannot delete them from the IPad.   >:( >:( >:(

Any clues as to how I may be able to do this?  Ance*** were no help as all they said was they were still working on their App and had some refining to do.

Andcarred

I've not used that particular app but if it's the same as many others you may have to go into settings (icon looks like a set of gears) on the ipad and switch on editing for that app to allow you to delete information.

Or if you don't want to keep the app just delete it ..... hold down the icon until it starts moving and there is a black x in the upper left corner, tap this x and the app will be deleted. Normally this will also delete all information held by the app.

Offline Nick29

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 06 December 11 08:56 GMT (UK) »
Ancestry never displays the details of living people.   Any person who was born less than 100 years ago, who has no death date entered, is assumed to be still alive, and the details are hidden from other Ancestry users.  Don't assume that because you can see the details that everyone else can.  You can also set the security settings on Ancestry to make your tree private, and even set whether Ancestry's search engines can find your entries.

I'm afraid you've let your panic deprive you of a very good application  :)

RIP 1949-10th January 2013

Best Wishes,  Nick.

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 06 December 11 09:05 GMT (UK) »
I agree with Nick, it's a very useful App and I have it on my iPod. All you needed to have done was make your tree private, that way anyone looking for the same family would know that you have someone of that name but couldn't see any details. They could then contact you and it would be your choice if you shared information or not.  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk