Author Topic: Baptisms designed after Lady Deskford and James Olgivie  (Read 4168 times)

Offline AussieAnnie

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Baptisms designed after Lady Deskford and James Olgivie
« on: Thursday 28 July 11 08:11 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Whilst research my Coull ancestors from Cullen, Banff, I noticed that on two baptisms, the children were designed after “Lady Mary Deskford” (Mary Coull born 1760) and “Mr James Olgivie, eldest son to Lord Deskford” (James Coull born 1761).

Why was this? Was it customary to name children after the local gentry or did they perhaps work for the household? The Coull family were weavers in Cullen.

Any information greatly appreciated.

Anne

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Baptisms designed after Lady Deskford and James Olgivie
« Reply #1 on: Friday 29 July 11 19:37 BST (UK) »
There is probably no strong link. In my case I have someone, from Grange, called  Margaret after Lady Muiresk, also a boy called Ernest after Ernest Gordon of Park. In the latter case the family was so large they may have run out of other names! Perhaps these people were present at the time of the baptism. It is not unusual for boys to be called after the minister and girls after the minister's wife. This becomes clear where an unusual name suddenly becomes common and it turns out to be the name of the minister's wife.

Graham.

Offline AussieAnnie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 30 July 11 07:55 BST (UK) »
Thanks Graham,

Your information makes sense. 'Mary' was not a name that had previously appeared in my research of this family.

Cheers, Anne

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 04 August 11 18:17 BST (UK) »
If the baptism record specifically lists Lady Mary and James Ogilvie as witnesses, I think that eould imply that there was a closer relationship than merely landowner and tenant.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline AussieAnnie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 05 August 11 07:20 BST (UK) »
They weren't listed as witnesses rather the term "Designed after Lady Mary Deskford" was used. The witnesses were listed on following lines.

Anne

Offline JenfromLancs

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 23 January 12 10:09 GMT (UK) »
Anne - I have details of a bap for my James Coull born in Cullen, Banff 21/6/1748, bap 22/6/1748.
It says he is named after James Earl of Findlater, James Lord Deskford, James Lawton of Cullen, James B Bailli.

They covered all the bases there with the local bigwigs!

Also gives name mothers of Margaret Ogilvie of Airdoch and Jane Grey.  James Coull's parents were Patrick Coull and Ann Ogilvie.  Some of their sons went to Antigua.  There was probably a link between our Coulls.  I haven't much on Patrick's family of origin.  He was born about 1720 and died 1784 Cullen.  He was a merchant.

I understand from a member of Family Tree Forum that the baby was commonly not handed to the father to give to the vicar to do the baptism but to name mother(s) or if she/they were not present, to the midwife.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 23 January 12 10:27 GMT (UK) »
It says he is named after  ....  James Lawton of Cullen ....

Have a closer look at this one - could he possibly be Lawtie rather than Lawton? If so, have a look on http://libindx.moray.gov.uk/mainmenu.asp

There was a Lawtie Bequest which I think was administered by Cullen Town Council, and IIRC it owned various cottages which were provided for the poor. I have only come across it in passing, so I can't tell you the details. But I think the Lawties would have qualified as local bigwigs.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline AussieAnnie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 23 January 12 14:06 GMT (UK) »
They certainly did cover their bases didn’t they! It sounds like the local gentry were well regarded.

The parents of my Mary (b. 1760), James (b. 1761) and John (b. 1765) were James Coull and Elspeth Wiseman – married 1759 Cullen. They were weavers. I haven’t been able to get back further than that but it’s quite likely they are related to your Coull family.

Cheers, Anne

Offline JenfromLancs

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 23 January 12 19:22 GMT (UK) »
It says he is named after .... James Lawton of Cullen ....

Have a closer look at this one - could he possibly be Lawtie rather than Lawton? If so, have a look on http://libindx.moray.gov.uk/mainmenu.asp

There was a Lawtie Bequest which I think was administered by Cullen Town Council, and IIRC it owned various cottages which were provided for the poor. I have only come across it in passing, so I can't tell you the details. But I think the Lawties would have qualified as local bigwigs.

Thanks for having a look at this.  I haven't got the original bap record but it is transcribed and quoted in a pedigree of the Coull family of Antigua (Vol 1 The History of Antigua by Olive - online).

Have bookmarked your link.  Useful to have.