Author Topic: Assistance please, seeking John Robert WARD'S parents  (Read 6218 times)

Offline JDGen

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Assistance please, seeking John Robert WARD'S parents
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 30 July 11 08:44 BST (UK) »
If the 1841 census that KGarrad posted is the right family, there is a death for a John Ward aged 82 in Chester 1845 which would fit with the family information (www.cheshirebmd.org.uk).

I've found William the butcher from the 1841 in 1851 (HO107 2171/708 Page 52) still on Union Terrace and married - and with a son called Robert - but can't see John Robert.

Jean
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

CHS: Barber(Tabley) Barlow(Antrobus) Blackshaw(Lymm, Mobberley) Blease/Done/Moore(G Bud) Owen(Netherton, Tabley) Spragg/Witter(Goostrey) Youd(Frodsham) Pennell Bankes Birchall Beckett
DBY: Higginbottom(Mellor)
HRT: Gurney
HRT/BED/ESS: Verney (Markyate St)
LAN: Davenport(Bolton) Schofield/Gurney(Oldham) Lord(Heap) Quinn(Manchester) Sutcliffe(Rossendale)
NTH: Tubb/Johnson(Hellidon)Brown(Kettering)
YKS: Scott(Clapham)

Offline Ivy May

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 31 July 11 08:11 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone,

Well you have all given me a lot to go with & Thank you once again.

Re his marriage certificate which I do have - the witness's were his wife's family & they were married at St Peters church, in the Parish of Holy Trinity, Warwickshire, Coventry, England.  I cannot tell if he was Catholic?

Ivy
WARD/RAVEN/BLAKE/MITCHELL

Offline gensearch

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 14 January 24 05:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ivy,

John Robert Ward was also my 2nd great-grandfather. The information that I have which I expect to be reliable identifies his parents as Thomas Ward (born about 1794) and his wife Mary (born about 1805), both parents having been born in Ireland.

May I ask from which of John Robert Ward's children that you are a descendant?

Best,
Robert

Offline Ivy May

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 15 January 24 10:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi Robert,

How nice to hear from you.  Thank you for your message!  Another Robert!

May I ask from which of John Robert Ward's children that you are a descendant?

My Grandfather:  John Robert Ward b1908 Hanwell, Middlesex, England
My Great Grandfather: Francis Stanley Ward b1873 Kensington, England
My Great, Great Grandfather: John Robert Ward b1837 Liverpool, Lancashire, England (My brick wall).

I would dearly like to talk further but it is getting late.

John Robert has written the following:
" His parents died before he was 3 years old, He went to Chester when he was 9 months old.  He was bought up by his "Step Grandfather & Step Grandmother", his "Grandfather" died when he was 8 years old, his college education finished when he was 8 years old.  His first job was carting bark for a tan yard.  His next job was cabin boy aboard the "Cheshire Lass" a cheese schooner, slates.  I have further information on other jobs he had in the Chester area.  He also did an apprenticeship & ran away & went to Gaol for a few days, he was bought before the Mayor & went back to his apprenticeship & he did receive his indentures from Messrs Jones - the confectioners during the Crimean War. "

Hope to hear from you.

Kindest regards,
Ivy May Ward
WARD/RAVEN/BLAKE/MITCHELL

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 15 January 24 12:16 GMT (UK) »
The information that I have which I expect to be reliable identifies his parents as Thomas Ward (born about 1794) and his wife Mary (born about 1805), both parents having been born in Ireland.

He was not the son of Thomas WARD.  That John WARD was an apprentice Cooper in 1851 and he married Elizabeth ASHTON in 1859.

Marriage: 13 Dec 1859 St Peter, Liverpool, Lancashire

John WARD - full, Cooper, Bachelor, Soho St.
Elizabeth ASHTON - full, Spinster, Henry St.
Groom's Father: Thomas WARD, Furniture Broker
Bride's Father: William ASHTON, Porter
Witnesses: Michael Ward; Charlotte Burgess
Married by Banns by W. R. Duncan, Curate
Register: Marriages 1859 - 1860, Page 182, Entry 363
Source: LDS Film 1656680

https://www.lan-opc.org.uk/Search/indexp.html

He is with his wife and son Lewis/Louis in Liverpool in 1861.

Debra  :)

Offline gensearch

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 15 January 24 21:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi Debra,

Thank you so much for the information and the link. I am not sure, however, which parish that I should be searching, under the link.

Best regards,
Robert

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 16 January 24 00:53 GMT (UK) »
Three lines down, click on 'You may click here to begin searching the whole county'.

He also did an apprenticeship & ran away & went to Gaol for a few days, he was bought before the Mayor & went back to his apprenticeship & he did receive his indentures from Messrs Jones - the confectioners during the Crimean War. "

24 Jan 1857
Cheshire Observer

Chester Police Court

John Ward was brought up for absenting himself without leave from his master, Mr W.C. Jones, Confectioner's service.  Complainant said that now defendant was getting useful to him he wanted to go elsewhere, so that he might earn more than he otherwise would while serving his apprenticeship.  He attributed it to his companion, who no doubt urged him to run away.  Defendant said he ran away because the hours of business were so long.  Mr Jones said he (defendant) would often make one hour's work into 5 or 6, and he had never any occasion to work more than 10 hours a day if he went about his business properly.  Defendant had the choice of going to gaol or returning to his work - preferring the latter he left the court.

Debra  :)