Author Topic: Millikens of Ravara  (Read 3883 times)

Offline GaryOB

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Millikens of Ravara
« on: Monday 13 February 06 13:46 GMT (UK) »
Have been on the site for a few months now (Belfast) and have realised I haven't registered that I am also looking at the Millikens form Ravara (between Saintfield and Ballygowan) and Holywood. 

In particular I am looking for David Milliken born mid 1860's who moved away from the area.

His parents were William James Milliken (b1824) and Sarah Wright (b 1833).

Williams parent were James Milliken (b 1788) married to Anne S Shepherd b 1797)

James had two brothers William and Robert.  His father was also James (d 1814).  Montioned in the rent role of Blackwood Estate in 1741.  His brother was Robert.

Any ideas out there.
O'Brien (Coleraine/Canada/Donaghadee)
Milliken (Belfast and others)

Offline Pat Reid

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Millikens of Ravara
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 14 February 06 01:58 GMT (UK) »
Gary:
This looks like your David:
 William James MILLIKEN . Saintfield husband of Sarah Wright; father of David b. 14 May 1866 & female child b. 23 Mar 1868

In case you haven't seen Ros Davies' site here is link:
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~rosdavies/SURNAMES/M/Mi.htm

Good luck,

Pat
Reid, McAlinden, Larmour, Mulholland, Kelly
Warrenpoint, Rostrevor, Rathfriland

Offline GaryOB

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 14 February 06 12:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi Pat
Thanks for the feedback on my query but I am already aware of those sources.  I am following three groups of Millikens in Co Down.  Two were descended from two brothers at Ravara and Newtownards with a third being an offshoot from Ravara.  My own family can be reliably traced back to Belfast but may be linked with these families.
Everytime I get a step further in Belfast I have to come back to these families to try and confirm the link.  My latest bet is a girl called Agnes who featured in the 1901 census in our Belfast house but we don't have any girls of that name in the family.  Does she come from the Brookfield St Millikens, or was she Agnes from Holywood and I see on Ros Davies site that there was an Agnes in the previous generation at N'Ards also.  Or was Agnes just a popular name ???
One day these strands will start to tie together  ;) Meanwhile we have to keep on researching and turning up those snippets that prove to be gold dust :D
Gary

Offline Pat Reid

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 15 February 06 02:18 GMT (UK) »
Hey Gary:
And then you had this Agnes as well.

"John Milliken, the youngest child of James Milliken of Ravara. He remained on his father’s farm married Agnes Stewart and had:1. Jeanie Milliken, born August 7, 1883 at Ravara.2. Susan Milliken born at Ravara.3. Anna Shepherd Milliken born December 20, 1888 at Ravara."
http://72.14.207.104/search?q=cache:UK7wL-B8_SMJ:www.silberhorns.com/Genealogy/Regarde%2520Bien/Milliken-Napier.pdf+ravara+agnes+milliken&hl=en&gl=us&ct=clnk&cd=3
Broken link
Keep at it. Something will pop up for you.

Pat

Offline GaryOB

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 21 February 06 13:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi Pat
Apologies for not responding sooner but always feel I should give a proper answer rather than "thanks alot".  Help on this forum is always quick and much appreciated and I know I always appreciate hearing a little more of the story when I am able to help somebody.

This is one possible origin for my family and I have spent much time investigating these people.  Actually, I did locate the famhouse (which is lovely) and then the little cottage which was the final location of the Millikens in the area before they died out.
Somehow, John the youngest son inherited the farm and he passed it on to his three daughters.  According to local sources, they spent lots of money improving the farm and buildings but when the recession hit in the 1920's and farm prices collapsed they were not able to keep going and had to sell the farm.  They then moved into a small cottage on the edge of the land and lived there until they each died.  Local people remember them up until the 1950's/60's teaching Sunday School etc. 
The cottage was then "closed" and left untouched ever since.  It is completely surrounded and overgrown but the fabric of the building is intact and it is quite magical.  I would love to get in and see if there are any old photos or something of value to my research.  Next time maybe?

Thanks again for your help.  I will keep plugging away and if anyone has any snippets for me on any of the Co Down Millikens I would be pleased to hear them.

Gary

Offline Pat Reid

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 23 February 06 05:57 GMT (UK) »
Gary:
Wonderful that you were able to find the cottage still there. Keep at it. Best of luck!

Pat

Offline BallyaltikilliganG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 24 February 06 15:17 GMT (UK) »
I know its not the spelling but I think the MILLIGAN tree appearing in Blackwood Family history manuscript trees in Volume 8, page p81 etc in LinenHall library, Belfast, could be of interest.
I suggest you ask them for photocopying estimates if they think your knowledge relevant and be prepared to pay the extra for post and packing. However if the material is really relevant when you get it, I suggest a further donation to this unique library that is always needing extra funds. Linen Hall Library,17 Donegall Square North, Belfast BT15GB, Northern Ireland, Telephone: +44 (0)28 9032 1707,  Fax: +44 (0)28 9043 8586, Email:info[at]linenhall.com.

Good hunting Jim
Gracey Gracie Gracy Grassy Greacy
worldwide

Offline GaryOB

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 24 February 06 22:40 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Jim that is a very exact lead.  I will try and contact them on Monday or better still I might get my mother to pay a visit!!!
I am pretty sure the Blackwoods owned the Florida Estate which included the townland of Ravara.  It was one of those pieces of information one is aware of but not quite sure how to access it.  I live in England and my brief visits to Belfast tend to get tied down with family matters rather visits to Proni  :( 
Gary

Offline milikkan

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Millikens of Ravara
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 28 July 11 23:48 BST (UK) »
Just Joined after finding old messages about the Millikens of Ravara Saintfield Co Down. We are direct descendants of James Milliken's Gt Gr son William James who was principal of a national school in Belfast. Previous messages date back to 2006. Wondering if any of those researchers are still reading these messages. Please get in touch.