Author Topic: WESTLAKE Richard wife Catherine  (Read 16499 times)

Offline CHERAN

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Westlake Richard wife Catherine
« Reply #9 on: Monday 01 August 11 01:16 BST (UK) »
Child Chrisitened Okehampton, Devon, to a RICHARD/CATHERINE;
MARY 30 June 1821

1861 Census JAMES Westlake born c 1832, Bratton Clovelly, Devon, is described as the Son of Richard/Catherine.
RG9/1465/22/1
1851 Census he is a Servant in the Horn Household in Sourton, Devon
1851 Census CHARITY Westlake is born c 1827, Oakhampton, Devon and is a Servant in Bratton, Clovelly
Cant find Christenings for Charity/James or any other Children to Richard/Catherine other than the possible Mary above.

Trish

I wonder if you could find a chrsitening for an Emanuel Westlake ...  on 1861 census has hs birth at Beaworthy devon....  He is in the next household to William and Susanna so looking to see if he is connected to this westlake line.

Cheran ;)

Offline aggiebagwash

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: WESTLAKE Richard wife Catherine
« Reply #10 on: Monday 01 August 11 02:48 BST (UK) »
Marriage of Susanna Westlake to John Gerry 4th quarter 1844 Okehampton.

There's no sign of a birth for Emmanuel Westlake. However I did find him on the 1841 living Northlew.

!841 census Northlew

John Pincombe 20 M S
William Curtice  15 M S
Emmanuel Westlake 14 M S
John Brock 10 M S
Mary Blatchford 14 F S

There was no address so I looked at the family before this group and living at Saw Mill were:
John Glass 40 Sawyer or farmer it's difficult to read as there's a line through the word.
Maria 35
William 12
John 7
Amelia 8
Thomas 3

It looks like the group Emmanuel was with were the servants of the Glass family.

Margaret

Offline CHERAN

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 01 August 11 03:08 BST (UK) »
Thanks Margaret.   I had just been putting in the bits and pieces into the tree so Susanna marriage is a great help!

I was just looking at the info I have on Richard Westlake the son of Simon Westlake (brother of Richard, John and William from above).

Richard was recorded in 1851 census as being a Mill servant at the Wigdon Mill in Beaworthy owned by a John Kimber and I have in the family records that John Westlake  of above was married to a Grace Kimber...

(Ps Richard is with his Uncle George (brother of Simon, Richard, John, and William) in Beaworthy)

It's a bit spooky that Emmanuel was a servant with John Glass given that the brothers listed above Mother is a "Grace Glass"!

Can you see a death for Grace Westlake nee Glass and her husband John...  Has to be after 1798 as that is the year Simon was born.

Thanks again for your help!!!!!

Cheran

Seems like they all stayed in the general area until Simon and Richard came to Australia...

Offline aggiebagwash

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 01 August 11 12:07 BST (UK) »

Hi Cheran

I can't find a death for Grace although there is one in the Okehampton registration area that covers Northlew. Grace Westlake 1st quarter 1838.

The only way you'd find out if it's the right one is to buy the certificate I'm afraid s there seems to be a few Grace Westlake's in the area.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

Margaret

Offline CHERAN

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 01 August 11 22:31 BST (UK) »
Margaret 

I have hit a complication with regard to John Westlake and Grace Glass

apparantly the records show John and Grace marrying 28/3/1767...

a John Baptised 31/10/1770....
a John Baptised 4/8/1771...

that in itself is not a problem as I know they often kept using the "names" when children died...

then we have
 John Bapt 12/12/1783 a gap of 12 years?
George Bapt 26/02/1786
William  Bapt 14/07/1788
James   Bapt  13/11/1791
Richard  Bapt 27/10/1793
Ann       Bapt  1/10/1795
Simon    Bapt  21/10/1798 

I believe Grace age was 16 when she married and so she is born in about 1751... that would seem ok but the year of birth I have for John is Dec 1756 so he would have only been about 10 when they are married????

Grace would have been about 47 when Simon was born in 1798  which would seem old but not without being in realms of possibility.

I wonder if you can shed any light on the marriage  eg do we have the wrong date of birth for Husband John and are there any other children bap between John of 1771 and John of 1783 that could belong to the family.....

Cheran ::)

Offline aggiebagwash

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 02 August 11 07:53 BST (UK) »

It's difficult to say whether there are two John and Grace Westlake families living in Northlew during that period without being able to prove it as not all records have survived.

I'm sure I found another family with similar children's names but no Richard so the earlier births of the two John's could belong to them.

When you say you found the birth of John Dec 1756 are you sure it's a birth and not a Christening?

Leave it with me and I'll see if I can work it out.

Margaret  :)

Offline CHERAN

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 08 August 11 01:08 BST (UK) »
Marriage of Susanna Westlake to John Gerry 4th quarter 1844 Okehampton.

There's no sign of a birth for Emmanuel Westlake. However I did find him on the 1841 living Northlew.

!841 census Northlew

John Pincombe 20 M S
William Curtice  15 M S
Emmanuel Westlake 14 M S
John Brock 10 M S
Mary Blatchford 14 F S

There was no address so I looked at the family before this group and living at Saw Mill were:
John Glass 40 Sawyer or farmer it's difficult to read as there's a line through the word.
Maria 35
William 12
John 7
Amelia 8
Thomas 3

It looks like the group Emmanuel was with were the servants of the Glass family.

Margaret

Margaret

Tracking Emanuel, I found him on 1861 census with wife Grace B, Children Susanna, Mary Ann, and Harriet.  I di search on IGI site....  looks like him in Cleveland Ohio, on 1880 census there with wife Grace, daug Mary Anna and dau Harriet plus a few other children.

There is also a submitted entry which has him born 1826 Devonshire, and died 1893 Ohio with spouse name Grace Bayley born Devonshire, died 1895 Ohio....

I wonder if Grace Glass married to John Westlake and John Glass married to Maria are bros and sister, with possibly another sister Anne Glass married to a Samuel Locke 1863???

Cheryl

Offline krisesjoint

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Its my Party - I can eat cake
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 08 August 11 06:02 BST (UK) »
Margaret 

I have hit a complication with regard to John Westlake and Grace Glass

apparantly the records show John and Grace marrying 28/3/1767...

a John Baptised 31/10/1770....
a John Baptised 4/8/1771...

that in itself is not a problem as I know they often kept using the "names" when children died...

then we have
 John Bapt 12/12/1783 a gap of 12 years?
George Bapt 26/02/1786
William  Bapt 14/07/1788
James   Bapt  13/11/1791
Richard  Bapt 27/10/1793
Ann       Bapt  1/10/1795
Simon    Bapt  21/10/1798 

I believe Grace age was 16 when she married and so she is born in about 1751... that would seem ok but the year of birth I have for John is Dec 1756 so he would have only been about 10 when they are married????

Grace would have been about 47 when Simon was born in 1798  which would seem old but not without being in realms of possibility.

I wonder if you can shed any light on the marriage  eg do we have the wrong date of birth for Husband John and are there any other children bap between John of 1771 and John of 1783 that could belong to the family.....

Cheran ::)

Hi Cheran,

I think you have a mistake here -wrong marriage

John WESTLAKE = Grace KIMBER 31 Mar 1783 Northlew

Cheers Kris  :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline krisesjoint

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Its my Party - I can eat cake
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 08 August 11 07:26 BST (UK) »
Emanuel appears to be the son of Robert WESTLAKE and Mary DAW. They are in Beaworthy in 1851

HO107/1885 Folio 55 Page 17
Robert is a farmer formerly mason aged 64 b Northlew and Mary 63 b Beaworthy. Daughter Mary Ann 25 b Beaworthy a Glover and Kaziah a granddaughter aged 5 b Beaworthy

Cheers Kris  :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk