Author Topic: Mystery find  (Read 10056 times)

Offline Bryan Richards

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Mystery find
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 02 December 17 11:53 GMT (UK) »
T.Y. Cotter's siblings

Ann Cotter... 1808 believed born Deptford but cant find birth or baptism. Could be Bantry.
The Southern Reporter and Cork Commercial Courier dated 25th August 1831 states “In Bantry 18th Inst by the Rev. T. Barry.  G. Riordan Esq. of Kenmare Co. Kerry to Ann eldest daughter of Richard Cotter Esq. RN of Deptford”
The Roman Catholic Parish Church of Bantry records states that on the 18th August 1831 Garratt Riordan  married Anne Cotter and the witnesses were Nicholas Riordan and Rogan Downing. Roman Catholic Parish Church of Kenmare County Kerry Ireland records two of their children’s baptismal sponsors as 18th May 1835  Margaret Anne daughter of Garrett Riordan and Anne Cotter Sponsor’s  Michael Riordan and Jane Cotter. This could be Jane Lucy Cotter who emigrated to Australia  in 1840 with her twin sister Ellen both baptised Church of England Chatham.
20th February 1853 Robert son of Gerard Riordan and Ann Cotter Sponsor’s William Cotter and Helen Cotter, this looks like William Cotter of Bantry and Helena Crowley 28th January 1826 Shanavalda Father Edmund Cotter and Cornelius Crowley

Pownall Pellew Cotter..  [Master 1841 then Staff Commander R.N. at death in 1866] was born on the 2nd June 1810 St Alphege Linton Road Woolwich Kent England and baptized on the 11th December 1811 at St. Mary’s Lambeth London. Master f HMS Terror under Captain Crozier on 1841 expedition to Antarctic. Cape Cotter named after him

James MacNamara Cotter... born on the 8th August 1813 in the Parish of Lambeth and County of Surrey, where his parents Richard and Ellen were to be found living at Fannington Lane Lambeth, and at St Mary's Newington Surrey C of E on the 13th of September that year. My wife's great great grandfather. Education  Greenwich hospital School , apprenticed Merchant Navy then became Revenue Officer RN. He was named after Capt. james MacNamara who was Captain of Richard's first ship HMS Cerberus

Jane Lucy Cotter[Eldest twin] and Ellen Cotter [youngest twin] ...were christened 7th May 1815 Chatham Kent England C of E. According to an application to the Royal Naval Compassionate Fund in 1834, their mother stated that they were twins.  They emigrated to live with Thomas Young Cotter in Adelaide in 1840 both married in  there 1841.

Plummer Young Cotter.... was born in Ireland [most likely Bantry] in 1817 according to MN records at the UK National Archives.  At the age of 11 he was admitted into the Greenwich hospital School 1828 to 1833 and to be apprenticed in the Merchant Navy. Most likely got his name from his great grandfather Plummer Young of Bantry. Last record I have is fireman on board  steamship St George between Cork and Dublin in 1838.

Richard Cotter (Jnr.) was born on the 10th January 1830 [IGI Batch No.C009449] and christened at St. Paul’s church Deptford Kent England C of E. on the 2nd May 1830. He and his mother were not in the UK 1841 Census but were there in 1851.

Ellen Cotter,  Head , Widow  aged 62,  Private [income] Born Ireland
Richard Cotter, Son, Unmarried, aged 21, Clerk to Ship Broker, Born Deptford Kent.

Richard emigrated to Australia in 1852, last known address 1853 residing at Sinclair No.167 Great Lonsdale Street East Melbourne

P.S. Beware Dr T.Y Cotter's biography on line from Australia and in the Lendon papers is full of errors regarding his life and his family's life  before he emigrated in 1837.
Finally look up google books Sketches of Bermuda, or Somers Isles” printed by Effingham & Wilson of London; published by Richard Cotter the illustrations were done by Dr.T.Y. Cotter when he was 19 having sailed with his father as a junior clerk to Bermuda onboard HMS Antelope.

Offline david54

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 02 December 17 12:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi Bryan,

Thanks for the additional information and tonight sat and re-read it all ...... very interesting and pieces a few more bits of family together, thank you

I am going to copy it into "word" and then can read it thro and update my tree.

I have some of the family once Thomas Y. arrived in SA, .... his was a life of trials and tribulations, depending on which side of the politics he was on at the time. Very influential in SA medical history and the state in general.

How he ended up in Pt Augusta was always interesting but the family from there is a mystery too

When you have completed the history I would love to be able to read it please,

I am currently at sea (seems to run in the family) so internet coverage at times can be "hit and miss" but will reply .

Thanks again for the information

David

Offline Bryan Richards

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 02 December 17 18:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi David
I was in contact with the Late Fiona Gonzcol a descendant of T.Y. Cotter she gave me the full breakdown of the family in Australia.
Try my website www.swanseamariners.org.uk  and use the email contact button lower left and perhaps we can contact direct so I can up load files to you.
As I say I have a very detailed account of the Cotter/Young family pre-Australia. Will wait to see if you able to e-mail me direct.

P.S.  I was a radio officer in the MN  1957 to 1963 then Coast Radio then radio surveyor in UK Ship Inspection until I retired.

Offline NettyBetty

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 14 October 18 13:24 BST (UK) »
Hi,
This thread is very interesting to read.  I've just taken an interest in my family tree.    Thomas Young Cotter was my dad's great great grandfather. 
Netty

Offline Bryan Richards

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 14 October 18 21:03 BST (UK) »
Hi,
This thread is very interesting to read.  I've just taken an interest in my family tree.    Thomas Young Cotter was my dad's great great grandfather. 
Netty

Offline Bryan Richards

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 14 October 18 21:04 BST (UK) »
Re T.Y. Cotter  willing to exchange pre Australian information for this family
regards
Bryan

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 14 October 18 21:38 BST (UK) »
T.Y. Cotter's siblings

The Roman Catholic Parish Church of Bantry records states that on the 18th August 1831 Garratt Riordan  married Anne Cotter and the witnesses were Nicholas Riordan and Rogan Downing. Roman Catholic Parish Church of Kenmare County Kerry Ireland records two of their children’s baptismal sponsors as 18th May 1835  Margaret Anne daughter of Garrett Riordan and Anne Cotter Sponsor’s  Michael Riordan and Jane Cotter. 

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01mv1/ 

Baptism of JAMES RIORDAN of KENMARE on 14 September 1839  Parish/Church/Congregation - KENMARE  Area - KERRY (RC)   

Baptism of CATHERINE RIORDAN of NR  on 19 July 1841 Parish/Church/Congregation - DUAGH
Area - KERRY (RC)

and others!
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 14 October 18 22:30 BST (UK) »
 :D  :D

Have you considered contacting this RChatter:

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=163902

Re T.Y. Cotter  willing to exchange pre Australian information for this family
regards
Bryan

JM

The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 14 October 18 22:40 BST (UK) »
Hi,
Netty

Welcome to RootsChat, Netty.    It is a great place for helping with family history.   I have sent M S Harmer a PM (personal message) alerting him to your post.   I notice you have just the one post at the moment.   You may need a couple more before you can access all the features of this wonderful website (including the PM service), so you may need to reply, even just with a 'Hi'. 

:D  :D

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.