Author Topic: George Charles Sponder  (Read 2421 times)

Offline brit

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
George Charles Sponder
« on: Saturday 30 July 11 22:32 BST (UK) »
George b  Dec 1864 Walmer, Kent , married   Eliza M. Perkes age 25 on 16 Sept 1889, St mary at Lambeth, London. On the 1891 census they were living at 14 Reedworth St. Lambeth, London and shows his occupation as police constable. Cannot find them after this except a possible death for him in 1918 at Eastry. Can anyone help later residences and perhaps which police force he might have been in. Appreciate any help. Brit
Worcestershire:Bradley, Scotland: Graham, England?: Shelley. Yorkshire: Rycroft, Kent: Sponder

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: George Charles Sponder
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 30 July 11 23:48 BST (UK) »
Which of their children are you descended from?   Name/birthyear/birthplace may help find them on the 1901

No children in 1891 and they are living in Lambeth.  Eliza is shown as 32

No other Eliza Sponder living in Lambeth in 1891

May be coincidence but there is a death on freebmd for an Eliza Sponder in Lambeth in 1897 but she is shown as aged 43 - perhaps she knocked a few extra years off her age as she was already 5yrs older than George

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Marie Baker

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 31 July 11 00:24 BST (UK) »
Sorry had info from 1911 census but apparently not allowed to pass it on as infringes copyright.

Offline Marie Baker

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 31 July 11 00:36 BST (UK) »
 Have found a Caroline Sponder (georges sister) marrying a Sparrow,so the census entry is the correct man! Hope this doesn`t infringe copyright !

Offline Jeuel

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 31 July 11 09:11 BST (UK) »
If he was living in Lambeth, he'd almost certainly be working for the Metropolitan Police, L division.  Info about service records at The National Archives, Kew, here:

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/records/research-guides/metropolitan-police.htm

Service records typically give birthdate and place, previous employer, physical description, details of which stations and when worked, any promotions etc.  If they stayed until retirement you can also get pension records which give amount and where it was paid.
Chowns in Buckinghamshire
Broad, Eplett & Pope in St Ervan/St Columb Major, Cornwall
Browning & Moore in Cambridge, St Andrew the Less
Emms, Mealing & Purvey in Cotswolds, Gloucestershire
Barnes, Dunt, Gray, Massingham in Norfolk
Higho in London
Matthews & Nash in Whichford, Warwickshire
Smoothy, Willsher in Coggeshall & Chelmsford, Essex

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 02 August 11 00:38 BST (UK) »
Hi

Just to clarify, the terms and conditions of your membership with FindMyPast state that you can only use the site for your own family research. Doing look-ups for others, even if you don't charge, is breaking the terms of your membership. Posting information you have found by looking at the 1911 census images is not breaking copyright rules, but breaking your membership rules.

You can only post information you have found in the free index of the 1911 census.

Dawn
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 02 August 11 11:22 BST (UK) »
Hi Dawn

Posting information you have found by looking at the 1911 census images is not breaking copyright rules, but breaking your membership rules.

Can you clarify the statement above re: not breaking copyright rules as the following is an extract from a statement by the RC Copyright Editor found in

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,355486.0.html

FindMyPast has an exclusive license to host the images of the 1911 for a limited period.  The index and the online transcriptions on that site are subject to copyright.

I completely agree with your statement re: breaking the terms of any FindMyPast membership but I understand that some other sites are now offering 1911 access so it is difficult to determine which site is being used ( a lot easier when it was just FindMyPast)

Am I correct in assuming that  these other sites also have the same rules as FindMyPast re: distribution of 1911 info?
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Mort29

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 02 August 11 12:09 BST (UK) »

Offline brit

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 02 August 11 16:07 BST (UK) »
I am sorry if I am breaking any rules, didnt know about this. Thank you everyone for helping me solve where George went to. The one reason I was interested in him (he is my g'fathers brother) is the fact he was a police constable. When I lived in the UK I was a policewoman hence the interest.
Once againa thanks. Brit
Worcestershire:Bradley, Scotland: Graham, England?: Shelley. Yorkshire: Rycroft, Kent: Sponder