Author Topic: Edmond/Edwards Swansea  (Read 1609 times)

Offline welshrow

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Edmond/Edwards Swansea
« on: Sunday 31 July 11 09:42 BST (UK) »
I hoping that someone will be able to help me breakdown a brick wall.  My G. G. Grandmother was Margaret Edwards b 1850/1 Swansea. I have her marriage cert. there is no mention of a father.   On the 1861 census she is Margaret S Edwards (but it does look like a J) she is living with her Grandmother Margaret Thomas aged 88 at Tontine St, Swansea which ties in with the Mar cert. I have not been able to find a birth cert for her. In 1851 Census I have found a Margaret Thomas (mother-in-law) living with a Edmond family in Swansea and they have a daughter Margaret Jane Edmond of the right age.
What I need is some suggestions of how I can prove that they are one and the same, if they are? Any help would be very much appreciated.

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Edmond/Edwards Swansea
« Reply #1 on: Friday 05 August 11 19:15 BST (UK) »
Hi Welshrow

Luckily Morganllan spotted that your post was in the wrong place, so we've moved it.

I hope someone can help you!

Kind regards, Arranroots  ;)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline welshrow

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 05 August 11 21:15 BST (UK) »
Thank you

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 05 August 11 23:37 BST (UK) »
1861 census has Margaret Thomas with her granddaughter Margaret J Edmonds, not Edwards

44 Tontine St, Swansea RG9/4106 folio 63 pg 24
Margaret Thomas head widow 88 pauper b. Carmarthenshire, Llandeilo
Margaret J Edmonds grand dau 10 b. Swansea

marriage reg
David Edmond march qtr 1847 Swansea vol 26 pg 546 with Rachael Thomas on the same page

death reg
Rachel Edmonds march qtr 1856 Swansea vol 11a pg 306

Margaret Jane is also with her father on the 1861

The Graig, Swansea RG9/4104 folio 12 pg 17
David Edmonds head widower 36 b. Carms, Llanelly
Ann dau 13 b. Swansea
Margaret Jane dau 11 b. Swansea
Jabez son 7 b. Swansea

birth reg
Margaret Jane Edmonds dec qtr 1849 Swansea vol 11a pg 509

but there's also a likely death reg
Margaret Jane Edmonds dec qtr 1862 vol 11a pg 287

So can you some info about your Margaret Edwards? Census details from later years, address on marriage?

There's this birth reg
Margaret Edwards march qtr 1850 Swansea vol 26 pg 589

:-\
Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman
Cards: Thomas (Llanbadarn Fawr)
Glam: Bowler, Cram, Galloway, James, Thomas, Watkins
Lincs: Coupland, Cram
Mon: Cram, Gwyn, John, Philpot, Smart, Watkins
Pembs: Edwards (St. Dogmael's)
Yorks: Airey, Bowler, Elliott, Hare, Hewitt, Kellett, Kemp, Stephenson, Tebb

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 06 August 11 00:06 BST (UK) »
Hi it may be worth a search to find out the link between this family group in 1861:-

Daniel Jones 75 b Llandilo Talybont Glam.
Margaret 79 b Llandilo Talybont
Margaret Edwards 11 Grandaughter occ House Servant b Swansea Lower, Glam.
Residing at Maes Yr Ellyn, Pengelly Ruch, Llandilo Talybont, Swansea, Glam.
Census Ref RG09/4096/58/16

Maybe the 1850 Margaret Edwards birth in 1850 is this young lady, she is not the Margaret Edward on the 1851 Census with parents John and Mary, as that Margaret is on the 1861 still as an Edward again with her parents.
Keyboard86

Pelly/Pelley/Kingsbury/Challis/Nalder/Rochester/Raydenbow

UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline welshrow

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 06 August 11 09:59 BST (UK) »
I too have just come across the Margaret Edwards living with Daniel & Margaret Jones and thought this could be  "my" G. G Grandmother.

Another kind person from Rootschat told me about Cambrian Index and when I typed in Margaret Edwards for 1850 hoping to get birth notice (I didn't get one) but I did get a hit for a death of a Margaret Edwards  on the 22 Mar 1850 aged 25. I was wondering if she died in child birth.

I put out a request last night to see if anyone is going to the Swansea Central Library and whether they could have a look at the report and see if it says what she died of. So I am keeping my fingers & ties crossed.

Welshrow

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 06 August 11 11:29 BST (UK) »
given that there is no father listed on her marriage cert, I doubt there was much money around in the family for putting a death notice in a newspaper.

Working on info from your other other posts, Margaret's age on her death cert in 1881 was 34, so birth earlier than 1850. The only definite census that you have for her in 1871 has her age as 23., so birth earlier than 1850.

Please could you give details from her marriage cert. We know there is no father given, but who were the witnesses? They could help to trace her. How old was Margaret?

I think you can rule out Margaret Jane Edmonds, wrong age and she died before your girl married.

You need to work from the info that you have on certificates and census. It could be that Margaret's mother married after she was born and before the 1851 census so that Margaret appears on the census under another surname.

Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman

Offline welshrow

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 06 August 11 12:44 BST (UK) »
Hi,

On her marriage certificate the witnesses are a

Mary Davies & Mary Handley.

I did think I might be able to get some information from their occupations her husband George was a Potter & she also worked in the pottery presumably that's where they met.
I tried to find work records for the Swansea pottery but no joy. On the 1871 Census they are in Bristol with they young son George and they both are still employed with the potteries and I believe the Swansea pottery had closed by 1870. So I think maybe that should be my next task to see if there is a Bristol pottery and any existing records.

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 06 August 11 13:50 BST (UK) »
well, there's only one Mary Handley on the 1871 census in Swansea. She would appear to be the wife of Israel Handley, a ship's carpenter from Pembrokeshire. Their marriage was june qtr 1861 Swansea vol 11a pg 677, but both females on the page are called Mary, one Harris, one Davies. Indentifying Mary on the 1861 census without info from the marriage cert would be guesswork.