Author Topic: Edward Mostyn THELWELL born 1844  (Read 19838 times)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Edward Mostyn THELWELL born 1844
« Reply #45 on: Tuesday 02 August 11 11:06 BST (UK) »
Just to put the record straight - this is what I get  ;D

Snipped to avoid copyright issues!

gnu

Added - Interestingly, some libraries offer only about half the number of documents to the one I use. Universities ( I've used both Newcastle and London-LSE)  and some county libraries (including Lancashire) tend to offer the full database but others (including Newcastle City Library) offer the smaller one.
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Rol

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Tuesday 02 August 11 22:35 BST (UK) »

Gen

As Gnu's post explains,  I think the problem you found was that the library you have been using had only subscribed to the first edition of the Gale 19th Century British Newspapers database.  When the second edition came along not everybody decided that they had the budget for a sub upgrade.  As Gnu also says,  Liverpool County Library is one of those with the second version -- and Wrexham was certainly omitted from the first edition.  Last time I looked (admittedly some time ago now),  the National Library of Wales still only had the first edition.  I believe that the BL has a third version in preparation,  this time in partnership with BrightSolid (the Thomson subsidiary that runs ScotlandsPeople and FindMyPast,  and also not long ago bought GenesRe from ITV).  See this item published on the BBC website in May.

As to this thread more generally . . .

Edward Mostyn THELWELL married Sarah Fenwick nee Hilton in the Sept Q. of 1873 at Ormskirk, Lancashire, England.

All I can find about Edward is his birth June Q. 1844 in Wrexham, Denbighshire, Wales.
Any information about this elusive man would be very welcome

OK . . .

Forget another wife, I've just found where I've made my mistake ...

Otherwise the tree is solid.

Excellent . . .

With ref. to Gnu's Reply 16 on p.2 of this thread -- viz
[ … ]
 -- the same secondary source as I cited above in Reply 30 ties Sophia Rebecca reasonably firmly into the Owen of Woodhouse family. 
If one clicks on the name of her husband Bevis on Sophia Rebecca's own page it becomes apparent that the source used for her marriage was Joseph Morris's 19th c. collection of Shropshire pedigrees,  now kept at Shrewsbury Record Office.

Rol
I think Gen might have overlooked this piece of information about Edward's mother so bringing up again  :)

gnu

But . . .

gnu
What did I overlook in his mothers notes? I'm really only interested in the Fenwick-Hilton-Thelwell link, not the whole lineage of Thelwell's in Wales:-)

and . . .

Getting a bit off topic here as I'm only interested in the union of the Thelwells with Sarah Fenwick nee Hilton.....

But it's been a real roller coaster of a ride through the Thelwells and Wales!

Ah.  Right.  Understood . . . now. ;D  And you are quite correct to say that some of us did stray off-topic,  especially if one construes what you wrote in that opening post with due care and attention: "… any information about this elusive man would be very welcome" (my italics).

But you know how it is -- on an ancestry-oriented forum,  once those hounds are off the leash they just kinda assume the OP is hunting more than one generation.  Basic canine instinct.  So if they really get running on the scent,  the boss has just got to blow that whistle loud . . . and early. ;)

Anyway,  no harm done -- it has been good exercise,  and it is excellent that you too enjoyed that "real roller coaster of a ride through the Thelwells and Wales".  With any luck we have all put together some Google hits for future searchers;  let's hope haec olim meminisse iuvabit. :)

Rol

P.S.  Talking of Google et al.,  and in the interest of future successful search-term selection,  N.B. that once you cross the Cambrian frontier it is almost invariably Thelwall -- in the absence of typos in the source text.

(Crown and other relevant copyrights acknowledged, including - but without limitation to - census information from wwwnationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline Gen List Lass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Jane ANDERSON nee DODD, 2 x g grandmother.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Wednesday 03 August 11 06:12 BST (UK) »
Gnu and Rol

Ahah, now I see why I am only seeing Denbighshire and NOT Wrexham - I am using Newcastle City Library's version of the online 19th century newspapers. I couldn't understand why I was seeing something different to Gnu, thought I had lost the plot!

There has been a thread on the Northumbrian list this week about remote logging in to UK libraries for the newspaper archives, maybe I should try other libraries i.e. the ones with the full version of the newspaper databases..........

Even though the input has been a bit off-topic from my original thread, I've really enjoyed it and it has been my first foray into Welsh resources. Not had cause to explore them before.....!

I realised early on that I had to enter "Thelw*ll" in any search box, otherwise I missed lots of juicy tidbits.

Gen in Northumberland UK
UK - Northumberland, County Durham: ANDERSON,   DODD(S), EDWARDS, ELLIOTT/ELLET, FENWICK, GREY/GRAY, HINDMARCH and variants, JORDAN, MOORE, MURRAY, RIPPON, RODDHAM, RYDER-TURNER, SPARK(E)(S), STEWART, TILLEY, TIPLADY, WATSON,
Sheffield: TURNER
Middlesex: RYDER
<br />Aberdeenshire: EDWARDS, BRODIE<br />Angus STEWART, DIXON, PETRIE

Offline smallholderitm

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Bevis Heywood Thelwall born abt 1821
« Reply #48 on: Friday 28 May 21 13:20 BST (UK) »
I have read the topic in 2011 with interest.  Frances Hughes who he married in 1881 was a servant in his hh in 1871 aged 29.  Prior to that in 1861 she was at home with her widowed father.
Between 1862 and 1873 she had 5 children Harriett Heywood Thelwall born Birkenhead 1862, Francis Arthur Hughes born 1863 Liverpool, Caroline Rosa Thelwall born 1864 Birkenhead, Mary Jane Thelwall born 1867 West Derby, Liverpool and Bevis Herbert Thelwall born 1873 Toxteth, Liverpool.
During this time she never married until 1881 when she married Bevis Thelwall.
As his first wife died in 1861, can anyone throw any light on why they did not marry until 1881.
In 1871 census I have found some of the above children
Harriet Thelwall, boarding in Birkenhead with George and Elizabeth Hulse.
Caroline is under Hughes boarding with George & Mary Dodd
Mary Jane now under name of Hughes is the niece and living with James and Sarah Taylor. I cannot find Francis or Bevis.
I know what happened to Francis as he went on to marry and has descendants.
What I am really interested in, as I said is the lack of marriage but obviously children, 1861 - 1881

Many thanks for any info.
Brooke and Fitton in Huddersfield area of Yorkshire
Chaff(e) in Buckfastleigh in Devon
Page in Northampton and Manchester
Fall in Ripon
Wetherald in County Durham

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Bevis Heywood Thelwall born abt 1821
« Reply #49 on: Friday 28 May 21 17:15 BST (UK) »
Re question as to why they didn’t marry until 1881 - perhaps they didn’t feel the need to marry.  It’s not something anybody could tell you with any certainty given the timescale
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Gen List Lass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Jane ANDERSON nee DODD, 2 x g grandmother.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Monday 26 July 21 14:50 BST (UK) »
Update

I now know what happened to Edward Mostyn THELWELL born 1844

He left his wife Sarah late Fenwick and nee Hliton and went off to Australia. He possibly took his cousin with him.

THELWALL E M Mr. aged 32 arrived in Melbourne MAY 1881 on the ship POTOSI from a British Port.
probably Edward Mostyn THELWALL
With him was this person
  :
THELWALL J B Mr. aged 30   probably John Bulkelely THELWALL, son of Richard
both ages are incorrect, EM was 5 years older and JB was 9 years younger

26 Mar 1889, John Bulkeley THELWELL died in Melbourne aged 29

By 1891 Edward M. had elevated himself to Major Thelwall. From The Mildura Cultivator VIC Australia newspaper, Major Thelwall was captain of the Planters Cricket Club and kept the accounts! He had sent a sum of money to the local hospital and it was received.

1899 he died - 13 Apr 1899 Mildura district hospital, Victoria, Australia, inflammation of the bowels.
PHELWALL Edw Mostyn
Father Unknown              Mother Unknown UNKNOWN
Age 44             (sic - he was 55)
Death Place Mdura          Year 1899            Reg. Number 6928

He was buried in a paupers grave with no headstone in Nichols Point Cemetery, Mildura, Victoria, Australia

Probate - THELWALL   Edward Mostyn of Ravensworth Mildura n the colony of Victoria gentleman died 13 Apr 1899   Admin (with will) (limited) London   1 Jan. to William Goode Davies solicitor the attorney of Edith Lawrence spinster  Effects  £293  11s

His deserted wife must have know of his death as on the 1911 census she is listed as a widow for the first time.

Vee in NBL UK
UK - Northumberland, County Durham: ANDERSON,   DODD(S), EDWARDS, ELLIOTT/ELLET, FENWICK, GREY/GRAY, HINDMARCH and variants, JORDAN, MOORE, MURRAY, RIPPON, RODDHAM, RYDER-TURNER, SPARK(E)(S), STEWART, TILLEY, TIPLADY, WATSON,
Sheffield: TURNER
Middlesex: RYDER
<br />Aberdeenshire: EDWARDS, BRODIE<br />Angus STEWART, DIXON, PETRIE

Offline Sacha

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Sunday 24 October 21 22:57 BST (UK) »
He was married to my GGG Grandmother Sarah ( nee Hilton, Maynard Fenwick), had no idea this had happened to her. How sad after losing her husband Henry Fenwick.