Author Topic: BAILEYS of Northamptonshire  (Read 3322 times)

Offline Alturiak

• RootsChat Extra
  • What is Brighter than the Stars
    • View Profile
BAILEYS of Northamptonshire
« on: Monday 01 August 11 11:30 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I'm new to RootsChat and I would like to make contact with anyone researching the surname Bailey in Northamptonshire.

I have been recording my own family tree for over 30 years but came up against the inevitable brick wall a couple of years ago.  To try and break the wall down I started recording every occurrence of the surname Bailey and it's derivatives in Northamptonshire starting from the earliest records I could find and working forward.  At the same time using the census returns and working backward from the 1911 to the 1841.

The aim of gathering this information is to create as many Northamptonshire Bailey trees as possible in the hope that over the coming years I can join these branches to form a Northamptonshire tree.

I know it is a very ambitious project, especially with such a common name, but I would be very please to hear from anyone that may be able to offer help or even supply copies of their Bailey tree(s).  Likewise I am very happy to offer any information I hold.

Alturiak
Researching and Recording all occurrences of the surname BAILEY and it's derivatives in Northamptonshire.

Offline roomar

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: BAILEYS of Northamptonshire
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 24 January 12 06:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I have some Bailey's from Titchmarsh on my tree. Dorothy from Auatralia

Offline Alturiak

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 24 January 12 11:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I have some Bailey's from Titchmarsh on my tree. Dorothy from Auatralia

Hi Dorothy,
Some of my direct line Bailey's are from Titchmarsh although I know none that went to Australia.  I do know that Bailey's from Grafton Underwood went to Australia and I have a fair bit of information on them.  I have also recorded the census returns for Titchmarsh 1841-1901.  I'm in the process of recording the 1911 census for the whole of Northamptonshire and I've not reached Titchmarsh yet.

Maybe you could tell me who your Bailey's are and I can see if they fit in my tree.

Kind regards,
Chris.
Researching and Recording all occurrences of the surname BAILEY and it's derivatives in Northamptonshire.

Offline roomar

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 24 January 12 23:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi,Chris, Although I am in Australia my Bailey connection immigrated to New Zealand.Which is where I was born and bought up.
One of my great grandmothers was a Sarah Scotney b.1837/38 in Southwick.She met and married John Bailey( b.8/1/1826) in Australia(she had not long arrived there).They then returned to England and later immigrated to New Zealand along with Johns brothers and their families.
The brothers were Samuel(& Mary)children-John,Ruth,Naomi.
                               Thomas
                               Josiah(&Ann Scotney)child-William
Later in N.Z.John died(1865) John Wilson(great grandfather) married her(with child) he had met them on board"Annie Wilson" travelling to N.Z.
Regards Dorothy Hollings(nee Wilson)

Offline Alturiak

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 25 January 12 09:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi Dorothy,
I don't think that your John & his siblings are related to my line but now I have a bit more information I will check my Titchmarsh connections when I get home from work.

I have found all of the people you mentioned in your last message by looking up the passenger list of the Annie Wilson.....Gravesend to Auckland 1863.

I'm sure you are aware that John and his siblings are on the 1841 census for Titchmarsh and that his parents William & Harriet appear 1841 -1871.  They are both in their 70's in 1871 and as they don't appear on the 1881 census I suspect they had died.

Regards,
Chris Bailey

Offline Bruce42

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 03 April 17 15:40 BST (UK) »
The Baileys were wood turners in King's Cliffe....
ogilvy, larg, row, rowe, house, bendall, hodgetts, hawker, clarke, ancell, stenton-dozey, chaplin, robbie, bartlett, christie, robson, soutar, winter, little

Offline Itterbysearch

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 23 May 17 20:04 BST (UK) »
I have the following connection with a Bailey Family.

FRANCIS JOHNSON (b. 23.9.1780 chr. 16.5.1780 Titchmarsh).  He married Ann Bailey (chr. 12.2.1781 Raunds Northants), on 10th January, 1803, at St Peter’s Church, Raunds.     Ann was the daughter of William and Elizabeth Bailey of Raunds, Northamptonshire.   The witnesses were Sarah Underwood and John Britten.  On 6th June, 1841, they were living in Back Street, Titchmarsh, Northamptonshire, with their son Joseph and also Joseph (b.1833), Mary (b.1834) and William (b.1836) Johnson.    He died in Apr. 1845 at Titchmarsh.   They had nine children:-

Is this relevant to your research

Offline Bruce42

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 23 May 17 20:47 BST (UK) »
Sadly, no.  But many thanks and best wishes.
ogilvy, larg, row, rowe, house, bendall, hodgetts, hawker, clarke, ancell, stenton-dozey, chaplin, robbie, bartlett, christie, robson, soutar, winter, little